Evolution-B.Y.O.R V1.3.1 a Cygwin/Windows ROM TOOL

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 07-07-2012

If you have never looked inside of a ROM ZIP, or APK and never used Windows High Level CMD Prompt input before, then this is not for. I am in no way responsible for any damage that you do to you Windows System and/or phone.

Okay so after finding out that the setup.ini file is old and may cause problems with install Cygwin, I put a install packages together. The install package is about 189MB and well install about 600MB of data on you Hard drive. this guide is long so please read the whole thing through before following any of the steps, then read again and and do each step as things come up. Each step well be in its post following STEP ONE in the OP.

SETUP ONE: Installing Cygwin

NOTE: Cygwin and Evolution-B.Y.O.R well have problems if your Windows User Name has spaces. So in order to use Cygwin if your Windows User Name has a space is to either create a new Profile-User-Name with Administrative privileges, or reinstall Windows.

1. Create directories in the root of you C:\ Drive, named ?Cygwin,? or which ever you chose (the name most not have any spaces).

2. Download the required package Evolution_Cygwin_Install and extract the Evolution_Cygwin_Install.zip to to the root of your C:\ drive. If installing on Windows Vista or older then create needed directories in your Users\Your-User-Name Directory.

3. Right click on the Setup.exe and chose run as Administrator.

4. Click Next and chose ?Install from Local Directory.?

5. Chose the Root Directory that Cygwin is well be installed to. Make sure to use the Recommended install option for ?All users.? This is for if you need to create a secondary User Profile then click Next.

6. Chose the ?Local Packages Directory, this is where the Cygwin Packages are located. If you have not installed Cygwin before, you well see a warning about Updating your Cygwin install., this is normal. Click ?OK.?

7. On this Window you well see a list of Package type, be sure that next to ?all,? ?install? is selected, then press next. Amusing that nothing went wrong, Cygwin well begin installing, you may get a file dependencies window during the install, just press okay. The install can take update an hour depending you computers hardware.

8. If all went well you should be using the Mintty.exe Terminal making it more like a Unix Terminal feel. Now type ?cmd? and the Windows Command Prompt well come up, type ?exit? well take you back to Cygwin Terminal.

If Cygwin fails to install please go to the Cygwin Q&A page.

9. Go into the root of the Cygwin direcrtory and remove the Cygwin.bat file you well not need it, because you well be using the mintty.exe Terminal not Windows Cmd Prompt.

10. Last step copy and paste these commands into you Cygwin Terminal, this well allow you to update and install packages through Terminal, which means you can remove the Cygwin installation packages if you wish. Plus this adds a more geeky feel to using the
Terminal :)

TIP: Because this setup of Cgywin Terminal is Unix/Linux like, Windows style command such as ?backwards slash? and ?C:\? well not work, you well need to use the ?forward slash, and /cygdrive/the drive letter "low-case"/? to go into any directory outside of the Cygwin directory.

Code:
[SIZE="2"]$ wget http://apt-cyg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/apt-cyg
$ chmod +x apt-cyg
$ mv apt-cyg /usr/local/bin

Last edited:

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Evolution Build Your Own ROM - In Windows

STEP TWO: Installing Evolution-B.Y.O.R version-1.04.2

1. If you have closed Terminal then click on the Cygwin icon to start Terminal again, and run the following commands.
Code:
[SIZE="2"]$ git clone git://github.com/Earthnfire78/Evolution.git
$ cd Evolution[/SIZE]

2. Finally you are ready to start Evolution-B.Y.O.R , and once started Evolution-B.Y.O.R well check for the need programs for it to run. If everything was installed you should see the following window.
Code:
[SIZE="2"]$ . Build/Setup.sh[/SIZE]

Note: Java-JDK 6/Java version ?1.6.0_31? well nee to be installed and placed in your Systems Environment Path. If you do not know how to do that then Cygwin and Evolution-B.Y.O.R is not for you.

STEP THREE: Using Evolution-B.Y.O.R version-1.04.2
Features
  1. Installs apktool frameworks when started.
  2. Apk are not decompiled, but more apks are aavialable for decompile/compile.
  3. LS670 Supported.
  4. Better control of errors for boot.img and bootimages.
  5. Sign a set of apk's and/or zips.
  6. LeWa and MIUIv4 porting tool (experimental).
  7. About/Help and Support.
  8. Well Backup everything when exited.
1. In this version none of the apk's are decompiled, and gapps are not included as I cannot legally offer then.

2. Before doing anything run option 11 to install the frameworks that that apktool needs to decompile/compile some or most apps.
2. The boot.img tools no long have to be done in order, but it is recommend to follow the order for learning proposes.
3. About/Help and Support add as a way for errors and bug to get reported, and as away for each user to learn from each-other.
4. Build ROM, Flash and Enjoy.

If you share your builds you must support them, please do not change one thing and call it a new build. Share with others what you learn, making the uses of Evolution a community thing. Report problem, as I do not use this program directly for building, so I may not be aware of errors if any.

Google apps here.

Last edited:

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

This is for advance users only to have some fun with Terminal.

Disclaimer: The Following steps are optional and only for advance users. If you break your Windows CMD Prompt, or Windows has problems such as failure to boot, I am not reasonable, you do this at you own risk. Step five should not be done on Windows XP and Windows Vista Basic.

STEP FOUR: Settings Cgywin as default CMD Prompt Terminal (Windows 7 only)

1. Download the Terminal.ico into ?cygwin/bin? directory usering Terminal.
Code:
[SIZE="2"]$ mv -f Terminal.ico  /user/bin/Terminal.ico[/SIZE]
2. Right click on the Windows CMD Prompt icon and go into properties > compatibility and check Run this program as an Administrator and click ?apply? then ?okay.?
3 - Right click on the cmd icon again and replace the Target location then click ?apply? then ?okay? as before
Code:
 [SIZE="2"]?C:\path-to\mintty.exe -i /path-to/Terminal.ico -?[/SIZE]

STEP FIVE: Setting Windows to ?Case Sensitive? (Windows Vista Home Premium and 7 only)

What this step does is allow two files of the same name, but different cases to exist in the same directories. This is handy when running ?make? to compile source executable to be used in Cygwin.

Quoted for Cygwin's Special filenames page:
After you set this registry value to 0, Cygwin will be case-sensitive by default on NTFS and NFS filesystems. However, there are limitations: while two programs Abc.exe and aBc.exe can be created and accessed like other files, starting applications is still case-insensitive due to Windows limitations and so the program you try to launch may not be the one actually started. Also, be aware that using two filenames which only differ by case might result in some weird interoperability issues with native Win32 applications. You're using case-sensitivity at your own risk. You have been warned!

1. Click on you Windows Start Menu and type ?regedit? and right click chose ?Run as Administrator.?
2. Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel\obcaseinsensitive

3. Set the ?obcaseinsensitive? value to 0 and reboot Windows, if Windows boots back up it well be Case Sensitive now.

Now if you have done all 5 step's and have a fully working Cygwin Terminal set as your default CMD Prompt, Window is set to be Case Sensitive, and your using Evolution-B.Y.O.R you should be having a pretty good geeky feeling happening.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
A small error, the boot logo images are 320x480. Also, if this will build a fully functional ROM, why do you ask users to limit the release of their work to this thread?

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

A small error, the boot logo images are 320x480. Also, if this will build a fully functional ROM, why do you ask users to limit the release of their work to this thread?

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

Because the idea is for people to learn how to do simple code modding, so that when the time comes they can learn to build from source, and it well help to keep people form just changing out one app and calling it a new ROM build. It is also to help with anyone having code problems and errors, that this thread be used., for you all to help each-other out. Anthony can help anyone that as problems compiling a theme, as they well cause I did not change anything in any of the decompiled apps.

I build from source so I well not user this, but I well update this Program when needed and/or when new features come up.

Thanks for the correction about the bootimages.

Last edited:

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Updated post number 2, adding a missing step to using Evolution in regards to decompiling/compiling apk's

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Sorry everyone just realized the links for downloading through Terminal were broken, so fixed with the normal browser download links.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

A new version of apktool was released, and I'm just about finished building a new version with some big changes. I expected that Evolution-B.Y.O.R V1.06.2 well be ready by tomorrow. The download size well be larger.

Reactions: brotherswing

cbucz24

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
This looks pretty cool. I'll definitely try this as a method to get started. I've tried installing some of those programs before but the guides have left out info.
I have vista, what directories do I need to create in the user account folders?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Evolution-B.Y.O.R V1.06.2 a Cygwin/Windows ROM TOOL

This looks pretty cool. I'll definitely try this as a method to get started. I've tried installing some of those programs before but the guides have left out info.
I have vista, what directories do I need to create in the user account folders?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

I1. Create two directories in the root of you C:\ Drive, one named ?Cygwin? and the other named ?Red-Hat.? or which ever you chose (the name most not have any spaces).
2. Download dsixda_cygwin_install.zip and unzip to the root of your C:\ Drive. If install on Windows Vista or older then create the needed directories in you Users\Your-User-Name Directory.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

I'll be moving some things around today for Evolution. I'm push it to gitub right, and well be removing the mediafire link for Evolution, and may have my Cygwin Install Package read today as will. Kind of need put one together any ways as the RedHat install is quit large.
Once I get everything setup and working, tested on Windows I'll update the first and second Posts.

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Currently running only Ubuntu 12.04 because I'm too poor to upgrade to Win7. I'll add my thanks to the mix just because this looks like a ton of work for you to have put together! Great job!

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Currently running only Ubuntu 12.04 because I'm too poor to upgrade to Win7. I'll add my thanks to the mix just because this looks like a ton of work for you to have put together! Great job!

I build on Ubuntu 12.04, the Windows project is for those that are either scared of Unix, or they cannot install Linux for what ever reason. I'm hoping that by putting it on github, those that are using it can help update the files used, and would limit the need to upload a new zip just to update one or two files.

cbucz24

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

ok...i must be doing something wrong. in step 7 where yours shows "all" above the package listing. Mine shows no packages found, but has a list of packages with nothing inside of them? did i miss something?

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

ok...i must be doing something wrong. in step 7 where yours shows "all" above the package listing. Mine shows no packages found, but has a list of packages with nothing inside of them? did i miss something?

Give me about an hour/hour and half and I'll have a package put together, the setup.ini file in the dsixda_cygwin_install I just found out is old, and will not install anything if you are installing on a computer that has internet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear