Excellent phone, or lack of interest?

Old_Norm

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
There is not much action on this forum. I guess either the phone is excellent and their is little need for advice and problem solving or there just isn't any interest or many owners. In my case, I don't have any problems but I check here daily to see if there are any tips or software suggestions.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a weird quirk of an enthusiast forum. Everyone tends toward the on-paper "best" devices... we have a much higher ratio of Pixel pro, S Ultra and Fold owners than you would see with more normal users. The Flip 4 is also in a weird position where it is priced quite highly, but misses out on a few premium features that many of us want even though most of us probably don't really use them (I'm looking at you UWB).

I've just got an S23 Ultra, but in terms of form and function as a regular phone, the Flip 4 is my favourite. I'm going to miss using it on the regular, but I'm going to try and keep using it from time to time as a secondary device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There is not much action on this forum. I guess either the phone is excellent and their is little need for advice and problem solving or there just isn't any interest or many owners. In my case, I don't have any problems but I check here daily to see if there are any tips or software suggestions.
Tips and tricks or software I tend to leave in different Samsung Forums but still apply to this device, I have moved on from this device while it was really good experience had to get back on a built in Spen Samsung still have my Fold⁴

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
After almost 2 years (I had the Flip 3 before, which is largely the same phone), I don't really have any issues that I haven't already addressed. In the beginning, I consulted this forum almost daily, and got some good ideas and problems solved, but now I only take a quick look here from time to time. I love the Flip form factor and would hate going back to a big slab again. I am looking forward to the Flip 5 to see what changes are made. The new OPPO flip- looks interesting, but I really like Samsung's One UI (I guess I am just used to it). Whatever the future holds, I would prefer to keep to the Flip form factor.

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I provided this comment in a separate thread and thought it is also appropriate for this one. Please excuse the duplication:

I traded my Note20 for a ZFlip3. Loved the form factor, but after 6-7 months the Flip 3 developed a screen protector bubble along the edge of the fold crease. I was also sort of missing my SPen and the trades were really good, so I traded again for the S22Ultra. Great phone -- cameras were astounding. But I carry in the front pockets of my jeans and found I used the SPen almost never. All that, plus the huge size in my front pocket made it a no-brainer for me. I traded again for the Flip4.

Very happy with the Flip4. Photos are not quite as good as the S22, especially at night/dark environments, but I can accept that compromise. Choosing to pass on the S23 family. Will see what is offered as upgrade trade when the Flip5 debuts.

Cheers.

Reactions: jma78b

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I provided this comment in a separate thread and thought it is also appropriate for this one. Please excuse the duplication:

I traded my Note20 for a ZFlip3. Loved the form factor, but after 6-7 months the Flip 3 developed a screen protector bubble along the edge of the fold crease. I was also sort of missing my SPen and the trades were really good, so I traded again for the S22Ultra. Great phone -- cameras were astounding. But I carry in the front pockets of my jeans and found I used the SPen almost never. All that, plus the huge size in my front pocket made it a no-brainer for me. I traded again for the Flip4.

Very happy with the Flip4. Photos are not quite as good as the S22, especially at night/dark environments, but I can accept that compromise. Choosing to pass on the S23 family. Will see what is offered as upgrade trade when the Flip5 debuts.

Cheers.
I've only ever seen 3 other Sammy flips out there! And 1 is a coworker.

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app

happycat9

Aug 5, 2019
Visit site
I’m very happy with my flip 4. I haven’t had any issues that would cause me to post on this forum. I did get advice on a case for it. I love that it fits in my pocket.

I do check back here occasionally to see if anything is being reported with the flip 4. This is a very quiet forum.

I’ve only had my flip for 2.5 months but loving it so far. I do miss that it doesn’t work with the older style credit card terminals, but none of the new phones do. That was the reason that I kept my S9 for so long.

kittysback

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Me too. I've only had mine a month or 2 but so far am happy with it. I check out the forum too but there isn't much going on. Maybe that's a good thing 🤔

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Good morning folks...checking in here with my Flip 4...I'm still very happy with this phone...it's part of my rotation and daily driver most of the time .. I'm keeping it till we see what the Flip 5 will offer as I've heard a larger front screen is coming that might be the biggest one yet..also nice to have a phone so compact when carrying two phones daily ...I'm also testing T-Mobile in my area so I have two lines on the phone and the way Samsung lets you utilize both lines is excellent

Reactions: Laura Knotek

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I got the Flip 3 and had that for about 6 months till it was stolen and then upgraded to the Flip4. I've never been happier with a tiny phone like this. Ok, I can't take pictures of the moon like I did with the S20 Ultra but this fits in my pockets, my little bags. I love folding it. I had to get it repaired because the protector started bubbling. I bought a spare phone the A54. It was fine but you can't fold it up lol! I can't see me going back to a slab phone unless I have to. Flip for life.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Flip phones will never be as mainstream. It's only those who truly love the compactness of a flip that will likely want a flip phone. So don't expect a lot of activity. That said the oneplus forums are pretty dead too. Doesn't mean the phone is bad though.

I'm really looking forward to the Flip 5 with its improved hinge mech and much larger outer display .

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Flip phones will never be as mainstream. It's only those who truly love the compactness of a flip that will likely want a flip phone. So don't expect a lot of activity. That said the oneplus forums are pretty dead too. Doesn't mean the phone is bad though.

I'm really looking forward to the Flip 5 with its improved hinge mech and much larger outer display .
I think folding phones will become more mainstream once durability improves. The problems with the screen separation will keep them niche products for now, but when that gets sorted more people will buy them.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I dunno about the Flip 5. I know I am in the minority but I don't want the larger outer screen. One of the things I like about the Flip 4 is that the small screen seems better protected. Especially when in my purse. A larger screen just means more chances off scratches and thats what I had when using a full sized phone. All that large screen only protected by a film protector. Unless the Flip 5 has a lot of new features I will most likely stick with the Flip 4. I certainly won't be getting it for the larger outer screen!

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I dunno about the Flip 5. I know I am in the minority but I don't want the larger outer screen. One of the things I like about the Flip 4 is that the small screen seems better protected. Especially when in my purse. A larger screen just means more chances off scratches and thats what I had when using a full sized phone. All that large screen only protected by a film protector. Unless the Flip 5 has a lot of new features I will most likely stick with the Flip 4. I certainly won't be getting it for the larger outer screen!
I agree. The front screen is for quick settings and notification triage, a big front screen defeats the point of the Flip. It will also make the battery smaller.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
A bigger outer display is still better IMO. All other flips have a much larger outer display than Samsung. Moto is also releasing a more affordable one with a small display. The more expensive one will have the biggest outer display yet. Hopefully Samsung also toned down the crease with that new hinge system.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm using a Razr +/ ZFOLD 4 (2nd device) now and in comparison I have found that Sammy flips and folds do throttle. Never noticed this before. As I had no comparison!

Whereas the Moto Razr + does not and is zippy fast taking advantage of the high refresh rates on both screens.

The UI is also super clean. Another thing I noticed right away. But .... I will continue to use the fold 4 as my secondary device for media, social, business etc.

Lastly, I can do most things on the outer screen and really only need to open the phone a few times only, the outer screen is so functional! It's 😍 amazing!

Last edited:

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Samsung nailed the build quality and hinge tech. But...now am using the RAZR+ and liking it better. The main cover is so functional I hardly open the phone. Super clean UI and zippy fast much more so in comparison to the flip4. I use 2 devices and my 2nd is the fold4.
I've been hearing leaks about the outer screen on the upcoming Zflip5 as NOT being that functional with limited widgets,so I'm super curious if indeed the RAZR+ is actually better👍

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
But...now am using the RAZR+ and liking it better. The main cover is so functional I hardly open the phone. Super clean UI and zippy fast much more so in comparison with the flip4.
I've been hearing leaks about the outer screen on the upcoming Zflip5 as NOT being that functional with limited widgets,so I'm super curious if indeed the RAZR+ is actually better👍
I'm just worried about Moto's track record with updates. Several months behind the latest security update. And Google and Samsung may be on a new Android system for a year before Moto finally updates. Also with several Samsung devices laying around, the trade deals wil make the Flip 5 much cheaper.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
But I also think the current android OS finally reached stability but I got updated shortly after the fold4 got it.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm just worried about Moto's track record with updates. Several months behind the latest security update. And Google and Samsung may be on a new Android system for a year before Moto finally updates. Also with several Samsung devices laying around, the trade deals wil make the Flip 5 much cheaper.
Moto used to do their security patch updates quarterly... so being a few months behind was normal. And they usually were one of the last to update to the new Android version. But if they're promising reasonable lengths of time for their software support I wouldn't worry to much about it 😉 I do think the new RAZR is pretty cool overall 👍

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp