Excessive Battery Drain (Even On Standby)

raynoldsk

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, *total* newb here--lurked and read most of the week. Just got the phone on Monday. (And I cannot stop playing with it.)

I did the phone setting thing described here, and am doing the airplane mode toggle every time I take the phone off charger. This does seem to help--one night it almost completely drained the battery just sitting on the dresser. Last night it used a small percentage, so that was a vast improvement.

I am confused though--I am reading in some posts (although some may have been in links I followed) that 50% time without signal is bad, and in others that it is good.

Which is it?

(Previously mine read 50%. Right now it reads 1%, but it hasn't been on 3g very long today.)

Thanks!

tcat007

May 17, 2011
Visit site
My cell standby is at 24% with 1% without signal. That's after 78 hours since charged (battery at 26%). I've never noticed a problem, or had any high drain (unless I really get to playing games or tweaking apps). I do put mine in airplane mode 12 hours each night (no cell signal at home).

arphaksad

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Just got Optimus V and having same battery drain issues in Standby. Couple of posts indicated that this a known Android bug, does anyone know if Google is planning on fixing it? Brand new to Android.

ty

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got Optimus V and having same battery drain issues in Standby. Couple of posts indicated that this a known Android bug, does anyone know if Google is planning on fixing it? Brand new to Android.

ty
Yes it has been addressed in the newest android OS 2.3 Gingerbread.

bizzydroid

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
it is the cell standby with out a signal, change to cdma a only then back to auto should give u more like 2% time without out signal and battery life will double but for some reason it stops working as well after so many reboots and performing the change.:-\

pslim23

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
hey i am new here could someone help me out.

this is my first android phone and i have notice what everybody notice with the battery drainage for the OV phone.

my current battery use is:

cell standby: 47%
time w/o signal: 0%
phone idle: 45%
Android sys: 6%
display: 4%

is this a normal battery usage? if it isn't how can i reduce the %.

also when i dont use the phone, i lose 1% prob every 10mins (i have quick settings/advanced task killer/ and battery booster installed, along with other apps). and when i use 3g and going online, it burns the battery pretty fast.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
User KSmithInNY explained earlier that it could be a display problem. I must agree with him because my phone says 50% BUT the time my cell radio has been going is twice that of the time my phone has been on. I think he has it right that we don't get that othee signal so it automatically has a 50% even if you have a signal... so I don't think it is a problem for signal or battery just a problem with the settings display.

Refer back to page 8 the first post at the top.

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is my observation.
I tried all the battery booster / widgets. None of them in my personal view do squat. In some cases they drain the battery even faster. Surfing on the web uses more signal which in turn uses more battery life.
Anytime you hit the net, the battery is gonna get sucked down, it just the nature of the beast. I opted to just leave the phone bone stock and is works just fine.

gwynethh

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Excessive Battery Drain (Even On Standby) internal short?

I found a problem I had that was causing unpredictable battery drain on my OV. I keep the phone in a special pocket in a fanny pack.I would sometime noticed that if I pulled the phone out the camera would be on, even if I carefully avoided pressing the camera button. I disabled that button by editing the button mapping file. That stopped the camera but not all the problem. Sometimes if I moved the phone or squeezed it a bit the phone would wake up. Breaking down the phone noted that the little carrier board for those buttons seemed to be overly sloppy. I added a strip of plastic between the board and the internals of the phone. I also may have over reacted by placing another strip of plastic in front of the switches. (removed but saved the little rubberized buttons to fully ensure the buttons don't get pressed). So far so good.

buylownick

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the LG Optimus V since last friday and at first I had battery issues, got 6 hours then dead. HERE IS HOW I FIXED THE BATTERY ISSUE........after I did the items below I went from using 7 - 10% per hour down to 2% per hour of battery use on the average....
First I downloaded the android advanced task killer set to aggressive/crazy...
Second I unclicked data enabled in wireless/networks--mobile networks.....
Third lowered the brightness to less than half & screen timeout 30 seconds...
Fourth I plugged in the charger and removed the battery then put it back in and let it recharge--this reboots the battery and the system....let it charge overnight phone off...
IN this setting with data enabled unchecked I CAN recieve/make calls & recieve/send text messages....
When I want to check email or go on the internet I CHECK data enabled....
VERY VERY HAPPY NOW !!!!!!
Nick

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the LG Optimus V since last friday and at first I had battery issues, got 6 hours then dead. HERE IS HOW I FIXED THE BATTERY ISSUE........after I did the items below I went from using 7 - 10% per hour down to 2% per hour of battery use on the average....
First I downloaded the android advanced task killer set to aggressive/crazy...
Second I unclicked data enabled in wireless/networks--mobile networks.....
Third lowered the brightness to less than half & screen timeout 30 seconds...
Fourth I plugged in the charger and removed the battery then put it back in and let it recharge--this reboots the battery and the system....let it charge overnight phone off...
IN this setting with data enabled unchecked I CAN recieve/make calls & recieve/send text messages....
When I want to check email or go on the internet I CHECK data enabled....
VERY VERY HAPPY NOW !!!!!!
Nick

If you flash a custom rom, you will be able to get at least 12 hours as opposed to six while using web and data.
its a better solution then turning off data access amd dumbing your smartphone.;)

Reactions: Eollie
Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I had to fix my settings for more battery life. I adjusted the brightness and I always shut down running applications. Also when charging I put the phone in airplane mode for a quicker charge.:)

mininchico

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
My Optimus V says that 50% of my battery drainage is cell standby! I use 1 click clear and Juice Defender to close all my running apps, clear messages, texts and phone calls. I never use the radio and NEVER have it running so I don't know what gives? I guess it could be a display bug, but is
is draining my battery..

mininchico

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Excessive Battery Drain (Even On Standby) internal short?

Do you use the lock screen on your phone? I have mine set to 30 seconds so it locks it so the buttons do not get pushed accidentally.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My Optimus V says that 50% of my battery drainage is cell standby! I use 1 click clear and Juice Defender to close all my running apps, clear messages, texts and phone calls. I never use the radio and NEVER have it running so I don't know what gives? I guess it could be a display bug, but is
is draining my battery..

*sigh* :shakeshead:

You are always using cell standby... that's what gives you service. Unless you are in airplane mode

Sent via the Postal Service

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Brand new here at Android Central and also brand new to Android smart phones. If this works, I may even subscribe to the daily newsletter published here. :) Am at the library and running out of time plus need to recharge to zero the battery use settings. Will update tomorrow with results.
Currently praying to the Android gods for success. Regardless of the results this thread was hugely beneficial and succinct and professional. If the rest of the forums and threads are similar I may have found a central location for my newbie-smart phone questions. Thanks to all who replied here.

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
There is, in fact a bug with the LG OPTIMUS phones. From the LG Phones blog, which clearly states the problem and provides solutions (mentioned on this thread also):
I bought a LG Optimus V a week ago at my local Virgin Mobile. I charged it overnight last night and normal operation, phone, texting, browsing the features on the phone, but can barely get 8 hours out of my LG Optimus V. I?ve tried the trick many times where I let it drain completely, charge completely, repeat, and this still happens daily. This is an extremely frustrating problem seeing as I would like to be able to use my phone for more than one day at a time. LG Android Phones

Finally, I have found the cause of the problem. It appears that the LG Optimus V suffers from the same GSM/CDMA auto prl cell standby bug that affects the Evo?s battery life.

To check if this bug is affecting your LG Optimus V, go to AboutPhone -> BatteryUse -> CellStandby and check to if there is an entry for "Time without a signal". If your phone has a solid signal to Virgin Mobile at all times, it will read 50 percent. LG Phone Problem and Solution

To "Fix" ? Note the original poster says this change will reset if you reboot the phone and need to be redone: LG-Optimus info

Dial *#*#4636#*#* which will go to the phone?s "Testing" menu.
Click "Phone Information", then Menu, then click "Select radio band".
Click "Force Close" and return back to "Phone Information"
Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:"
Click the "Set preferred network type:" button and select "CDMA only".
Click the "Set preferred network type:" button again and reselect "CDMA auto (PRL)".

To verify that this fixes the issue, charge your phone to reset the battery statistics. Unplug the charger and check back in an hour or so. It should no longer say time without a signal (assuming you are in an area with a strong signal strength). This should cut the cell standby battery usage in half.

The fix is not permanent. If you reboot the LG Optimus V, you will have to make the changes in the testing screen again.