Exchanged Rezound for Nexus

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If u get repeated issues with the Rezound, can't they give u a similar phone like Sprint does? It's a high-end device so that would include the RAZR and the G.Nexus.

buckwheat-phd

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
This is so inaccurate I don't even know where to begin.

Yea, I bet you don't. You're probably stuck with a Nexus, and didn't get it back in time to exchange it for a Rezound. I notice all these "your post sucks" comments are from frustrated Nexus owners that believed all the pre-release hype, which went on for better than 3 months.

Believe me, all the hype over that phone and 4.0 was totally blown out of proportion.

• It's just another phone - in this case just another Samsung. And hamstringed at that with no SD card, and all the non-tested features that don't work. You know, little things like antennas and radios.

And no, MOST apps won't work with 4.0 yet, and you'll play hell debugging the whole thing.

• As of today, authors of Go Launcher do NOT recommend you put it on the Nexus - and unless you're into self abuse I'd agree with them. This app, like thousands of others were NOT re-coded for ICS even though it was released into the dev stream back in November.

You'll get 3 hours out of the battery if you're lucky.

• Based on my own experience, and that of 4 others I know who [used] to own the Nexus

The launcher is locked

• It's locked, but easily unlocked and rooted. I'll give that to the Nexus, because the Rezound's unlock may be a while in coming

3rd party launchers don't work yet

• See above

no SD card (because Samsung mangled the file system)

• Notice the /sdcard FS is a LOFS loopback but still shares security and rights with the ext3 root file system. Samsung could NOT figure out how to present 3-4 file systems in time for release, all read/write to the kernel at the same time. This is precisely why the Nexus does not have an SD card slot, and you have to have DRIVERS to see the USB file system.
It's all plastic and even feels cheap.

• True. All Samsungs do. And they're slippery too -

The only redeeming qual on that phone is the screen, and the Rezound still beats it.

• True - the Nexus has a wonderful screen, although riddled with banding and hue problems.

Oh, and its boot loader isn't locked down to protect us. But let's be fair and give HTC and Motorola 2-3 years, they'll figure that out eventually. Heck, Motorola can't even come to terms with a replaceable battery.

• Yes, the HTC Rezound's bootloader is locked down. Big time.

But don't expect ICS on any of these phones anytime soon. Remember - the Samsung Infuse (last Fall's device-of-the-year) is still stuck on 2.2 - and they promised GB within 30 days of course. Google simply can't police the manufactures - and Apple doesn't have that problem

• All true. Don't hold your breath for these guys to update your phone (like the Rezound). Google can't police them, and they'll do it when and if they're ready. Which will probably be never IMHO - notice Samsung has just announced an indefinite delay for S class phone upgrades.

Now what part of that is misguided? I mean, you can stand there and stomp your feet with your fists clinched and red faced all day, but truth is truth fella

Reactions: stoldmymojo

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
The only launcher that worked for me on the Nexus was Nova...ADW EX, LPP, Go....they had problems. But Nova worked real nice. Gawd I hated all those sticky buttons and bars that took up a good bit of screen real estate. Had I stuck with the Nexus (yup, battery and signal issues) I woulda rooted that thing pretty quick. That's one big phone with screen real estate less than an X, Rezound or any of the other 'retro' phones. I don't care for form over function. Nor do I care for the first iteration of a new phone with a new OS. Let the guinea pigs run loose for awhile. I'll buy the next gen ICS/phone off contract when the kinks are worked out.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I bet you don't. You're probably stuck with a Nexus, and didn't get it back in time to exchange it for a Rezound. I notice all these "your post sucks" comments are from frustrated Nexus owners that believed all the pre-release hype, which went on for better than 3 months.

Believe me, all the hype over that phone and 4.0 was totally blown out of proportion.

• It's just another phone - in this case just another Samsung. And hamstringed at that with no SD card, and all the non-tested features that don't work. You know, little things like antennas and radios.

And no, MOST apps won't work with 4.0 yet, and you'll play hell debugging the whole thing.

• As of today, authors of Go Launcher do NOT recommend you put it on the Nexus - and unless you're into self abuse I'd agree with them. This app, like thousands of others were NOT re-coded for ICS even though it was released into the dev stream back in November.

You'll get 3 hours out of the battery if you're lucky.

• Based on my own experience, and that of 4 others I know who [used] to own the Nexus

The launcher is locked

• It's locked, but easily unlocked and rooted. I'll give that to the Nexus, because the Rezound's unlock may be a while in coming

3rd party launchers don't work yet

• See above

no SD card (because Samsung mangled the file system)

• Notice the /sdcard FS is a LOFS loopback but still shares security and rights with the ext3 root file system. Samsung could NOT figure out how to present 3-4 file systems in time for release, all read/write to the kernel at the same time. This is precisely why the Nexus does not have an SD card slot, and you have to have DRIVERS to see the USB file system.
    q
It's all plastic and even feels cheap.

• True. All Samsungs do. And they're slippery too -

ppI]The only redeeming qual on that phone is the screen, and the Rezound still beats it.
[/I]
  • True - the Nexus has a wonderful screen, although riddled with banding and hue problems.

Oh, and its boot loader isn't locked down to protect us. But let's be fair and give HTC and Motorola 2-3 years, they'll figure that out eventually. Heck, Motorola can't even come to terms with a replaceable battery.

• Yes, the HTC Rezound's bootloader is locked down. Big time.

But don't expect ICS on any of these phones anytime soon. Remember - the Samsung Infuse (last Fall's device-of-the-year) is still stuck on 2.2 - and they promised GB within 30 days of course. Google simply can't police the manufactures o and Apple doesn't have that problem

• All true. Don't hold your breath for these guys to update your phone (like the Rezound). Google can't police them, and they'll do it when and if they're ready. Which will probably be never IoMHO - notice Samsung has just announced an indefinite delay for S class phone upgrades.

Now what part of that is misguided? I mean, you can stand there and stomp your feet with your fists clinched and red faced all day, but truth is truth fella

ROFLMFAO! What time is your gig at the Comedy Store? I'd love to hear you work a crowd w/ this material for a third time today. My favorite joke, imparticular, is this one. I understand Matias Duarte and crew are fond of this one as well.

Reactions: crzycrkr

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well... As it turns out... I am glad I did not get the nexus...

Went to a Verizon store to check it out... Wow... What a cheap feel... The battery cover was glued on... I could literaly see the glue on the edges...

Id much rather wait for ICS on the rezound...

Nexus... What a disappointment...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

buckwheat-phd

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
^You can currently unlock the Rezound's bootloader via htcdev.com, so we can check that off the list above. :)

Permanently? Do the frozen apps stay frozen after a reboot? If you want to remove more, do you have to re-root it again? I hear that HTC announced perm roots for a few models today.

But still, that's not worth getting the Nexus for. I can wait

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
ROFLMFAO! What time is your gig at the Comedy Store? I'd love to hear you work a crowd w/ this material for a third time today. My favorite joke, imparticular, is this one. I understand Matias Duarte and crew are fond of this one as well.
I did not hear you actually address any of his points. He explained his position pretty thoroughly, and he's not the only one I have heard express those opinions.

As for the file system....even if he is completely wrong, there is still no SD on the Galaxy Nexus. And you cant tell me that most people will see that as a good thing. What is your own theory as to why there is no SD on the Galaxy Nexus?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Permanently? Do the frozen apps stay frozen after a reboot? If you want to remove more, do you have to re-root it again? I hear that HTC announced perm roots for a few models today.

The apps are frozen permanently, they will remain frozen after a reboot. The temp root is pretty easy, run the batch file, type 1 to temp root, type 2 to disable all bloat, or select accordingly. You will have to rerun the clean tool after you reboot to run the temp root again. I have not tried it with the unlocked bootloader today, so not sure how that works yet, but the clean tool works fine if all you want to do is to freeze apps.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/re...ntool-2-1-12-11-relentless-pursuit-clean.html

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

The apps are frozen permanently, they will remain frozen after a reboot. The temp root is pretty easy, run the batch file, type 1 to temp root, type 2 to disable all bloat, or select accordingly. You will have to rerun the clean tool after you reboot to run the temp root again. I have not tried it with the unlocked bootloader today, so not sure how that works yet, but the clean tool works fine if all you want to do is to freeze apps.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/re...ntool-2-1-12-11-relentless-pursuit-clean.html

dpham00 has it for the temp root. Check the subsection for development here, both the S-Off and unlocked thread have details about using htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader on the phone. While it's not S-Off, it does allow for permanent root, and ways to install ROMs as well as just clean up the stock bloat.

buckwheat-phd

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Hey thats good news indeed. BTW- is there a tool to remove the Sense mess? I haven't even looked yet so apols in advance. I'm assuming that running another launcher on top of sense doubles up the GUI load, because sense is still running in the background.?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey thats good news indeed. BTW- is there a tool to remove the Sense mess? I haven't even looked yet so apols in advance. I'm assuming that running another launcher on top of sense doubles up the GUI load, because sense is still running in the background.?

You are in luck! The clean tool I posted above will allow you to desense as well! Make sure to install another launcher before desense as depending will freeze sense.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

The clean tool will disable sense, BUT you need another launcher installed and set as the default PRIOR TO DISABLING SENSE.

EDIT: Beat by fractions of a second!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Truth is I get 23 hrs of battery life with my device using extended battery.
I had your device two years ago without 4g. It was called an incredible.
I got the nexus because i wanted something different. I got tired of sense.
Maybe giur points about the lack of an sd card are true. First i ever heard of it.
No signal issues for me even though less bars are displayed but i have a better dbm? number.
Never dropped a call.
Did have mounting issues at times with the sd card on my dinc.
Beats is a gimmick. Poweramp is better imho.
I am not saying one is better then the other as we all have our preferences but i have zero banding, etc with my samsung. Plastic does not mean cheap. Do I miss the internal sd card? Maybe but using cloud based storage makes it a non issue.
I had phones made out of metal and were dented all to hell. I had plastic phones that chipped all to hell.
Look, I'm not bashing you or the rezound. I had planned on getting it. Other then 4g it was more of the same for me.
Only two apps dont work for me and they are jenga, a ten cent app ane ringdroid. I stopped using all go products a long time ago because of their business model.

To each his own. But your making it seem that people are just suckered into buying it because of the nexus name. You may be right, but it does not apply to me.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if you can change between phones like that unless maybe you got 'em through Costco.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk.

buckwheat-phd

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Only two apps dont work for me and they are jenga, a ten cent app ane ringdroid. I stopped using all go products a long time ago because of their business model.

Wow - I think GO is free sw. Is it too free? I often wonder about such a feature rich package being offered for free, but hey. You know don't look at your horse in the mouth thing.

You think one day when they get everyone hooked on it, they'll start charging and sueing everybody, like you-know-who?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLegend