Expert Raw pictures blurry and washed out...

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
while the pictures using the Expert Raw for my S22U were great, i found the pictures for the Expert Raw for my S24U are blurry and washout compared to the regular photo mode.

i did not change any default settings, so i was wondering why they are so bad.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
this is another dinner shot using the regular photo mode. you can see everything was very clear

Attachments

• 20240302_173638.jpg
    20240302_173638.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When shooting in RAW, the result is the full sensor data, which necessarily means things won't look right. What sometimes happens is a raw file can include a jpeg preview, and viewing software will display that unless it's a specific raw editor/viewer. So part of it may be that you were seeing an embedded preview in the past and the current one either doesn't include the preview or the viewer doesn't read it.

Are you shooting with a manual exposure or automatic? That can make a big difference too.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
When shooting in RAW, the result is the full sensor data, which necessarily means things won't look right. What sometimes happens is a raw file can include a jpeg preview, and viewing software will display that unless it's a specific raw editor/viewer. So part of it may be that you were seeing an embedded preview in the past and the current one either doesn't include the preview or the viewer doesn't read it.

Are you shooting with a manual exposure or automatic? That can make a big difference too.
when i go into expert raw, i see 'Multiple exposures: shutter = continuous, overlay = Add. with exposures set to 2.

should i set it to something else??

Last edited:

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm too much of a noob to use pro mode and expert raw. Would love to learn but feel like anytime I use the camera it's not at a learning opportunity 🤔

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Thanks. That still doesn't help much. By comparison images. I meant the same subject shot using Expert RAW and Pro mode under same lighting conditions.

Not two different images shot a few days apart.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
when i go into expert raw, i see 'Multiple exposures: shutter = continuous, overlay = Add. with exposures set to 2.

should i set it to something else??
That shouldn't make a difference because it's not part of the exposure triangle (shutter speed, ISO, aperture). Does your gallery app display the EXIF data? If so, take a photo in auto mode, then look at the EXIF data to see what the ISO and shutter speed is. If that phone can adjust the aperture setting (not common, but some can), make note of that too. Now go into manual mode and set the exposure to those settings and re-take the photo, then compare results.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
That shouldn't make a difference because it's not part of the exposure triangle (shutter speed, ISO, aperture). Does your gallery app display the EXIF data? If so, take a photo in auto mode, then look at the EXIF data to see what the ISO and shutter speed is. If that phone can adjust the aperture setting (not common, but some can), make note of that too. Now go into manual mode and set the exposure to those settings and re-take the photo, then compare results.
Unfortunately, the S24 Ultra has fixed aperture cameras, it can only adjust for ISO and shutter speed. The first image seems over exposed. Which would make it look "flat."