Farewell Nexus 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean "what if" iOS is locked down. It is. However, even in its gimped, locked state, there is nothing an iPhone can't do better than every Android device that will ever be invented in the future of forever!
Works better with my Mac. Has iMessage. Android doesn't. Get over it.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Lol. My bad. You're completely right, of course. I admit that the only innovation in the mobile device space was when Apple invented the smart phone in 2007. And it was true innovation, there had never been a mobile device that could fetch email or send text messages!

Stop being rude. you know there has not been real innovation besides Google glass and the iPhone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Lol. My bad. You're completely right, of course. I admit that the only innovation in the mobile device space was when Apple invented the smart phone in 2007. And it was true innovation, there had never been a mobile device that could fetch email or send text messages!

I didn't say that either. I just cannot stand when people bash apple on one hand, and praise android on the other without being able to actually cite anything innovative that android has come up with either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There are more manufacturers of Android phones, because it is an open platform, not like IOS which makes everyone lock step to the Apple directives. iPhones are for people that want something simple, that don't require much in the way of thinking to operate. It's like AOL was , 15 years ago. People are growing away from that "smart phone for dummies" mentality.

So what? I mean, seriously. Being locked down isn't a negative. Its a different philosophy compared to android. Its not better or worse, its just different.

Trying to claim that iphones are 'smartphone for dummies' is also incredibly immature and condescending.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Do you understand opinion? I don't think iOS is 5 years old or anything. Keep your pro Android Anti apple bias to yourself please.
Well, this is an Android Central forum. It's a little unrealistic to expect that people won't have a bias in favor of Android. That's like you coming to my home, badmouthing my dog, and not expecting me to have a bias in favor of my dog.

There is a report going around that shows during the past year, 20% of iPhone buyers switched over from an Android phone. Thats a pretty big number for "5 year old" tech. All the apps that I have running on my Android devices and iOS devices require no more juggling to do things. I think the devs care more on the iOS side and I will say it over and over again on this site and any other. It shows in the apps.
That "report" doesn't mean much. First, we do not know if an equivalent or greater number switched the other way around. Second, we do not know how many of those switchers is like the OP here - who always used an iPhone and just tried Android for four weeks. There are a lot of questions - if you can direct me to the actual survey and its crosstabs (methodology, population, stratification, results, etc.), I would be able to get a better idea of what it really means. Otherwise, it goes into the category of there being lies, damned lies and statistics.

As for apps, there isn't only largely parity in apps, there is also great apps that are Android exclusives and not available on iOS at all. Ingress, DeskSMS, AirDroid, great keyboard replacements like Swiftkey, and NFC enabled apps - yes, some of us use them. I pay for parking in San Francisco with NFC tags all the time, I pay for stuff I buy at Walgreens and Pete's coffee with Google Wallet with NFC support. Whether these apps are useful to you is an individual decision, but you cannot objectively make the claim that developers in general prefer iOS - although I might concede the point that paid app developers tend to be forced to develop for iOS first, because of Apple fans' (not using it as a flamethrower - I'm a Google fan) propensity to part with their money more easily than non-Apple users. Again, that's not a slam. It's the truth.

You can't be serious. Android has audio delay iOS doesn't so musical artists use iOS. Just because iOS is subjectively easier doesn't mean you have to be a stupid person to use it. Also so what if iOS is locked down? Seriously. That argument doesn't hold water at all.
Sure it holds water. You may not care about it, but some of us do care about open technologies, being able to build and use custom ROMs, and believe that openness leads to greater innovation. Just because you don't care doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to make that argument. Much like just because I don't care about musical artist apps doesn't mean that your second sentence is an invalid argument.

Works better with my Mac. Has iMessage. Android doesn't. Get over it.
So what? Android now has Google Hangouts, and tons of other apps that are cross-platform for messaging. That iMessage works with only Macs and iOS devices is not indicative of Apple's innovative prowess, it's evidence of its restrictive nature. You may like it if you wish, but it isn't some sort of a point in favor of iOS.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, this is an Android Central forum. It's a little unrealistic to expect that people won't have a bias in favor of Android. That's like you coming to my home, badmouthing my dog, and not expecting me to have a bias in favor of my dog.

That "report" doesn't mean much. First, we do not know if an equivalent or greater number switched the other way around. Second, we do not know how many of those switchers is like the OP here - who always used an iPhone and just tried Android for four weeks. There are a lot of questions - if you can direct me to the actual survey and its crosstabs (methodology, population, stratification, results, etc.), I would be able to get a better idea of what it really means. Otherwise, it goes into the category of there being lies, damned lies and statistics.

As for apps, there isn't only largely parity in apps, there is also great apps that are Android exclusives and not available on iOS at all. Ingress, DeskSMS, AirDroid, great keyboard replacements like Swiftkey, and NFC enabled apps - yes, some of us use them. I pay for parking in San Francisco with NFC tags all the time, I pay for stuff I buy at Walgreens and Pete's coffee with Google Wallet with NFC support. Whether these apps are useful to you is an individual decision, but you cannot objectively make the claim that developers in general prefer iOS - although I might concede the point that paid app developers tend to be forced to develop for iOS first, because of Apple fans' (not using it as a flamethrower - I'm a Google fan) propensity to part with their money more easily than non-Apple users. Again, that's not a slam. It's the truth.

Sure it holds water. You may not care about it, but some of us do care about open technologies, being able to build and use custom ROMs, and believe that openness leads to greater innovation. Just because you don't care doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to make that argument. Much like just because I don't care about musical artist apps doesn't mean that your second sentence is an invalid argument.

So what? Android now has Google Hangouts, and tons of other apps that are cross-platform for messaging. That iMessage works with only Macs and iOS devices is not indicative of Apple's innovative prowess, it's evidence of its restrictive nature. You may like it if you wish, but it isn't some sort of a point in favor of iOS.

Never said Apple is innovative for ios beyond the original. But who is?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So what? I mean, seriously. Being locked down isn't a negative. Its a different philosophy compared to android. Its not better or worse, its just different.

Trying to claim that iphones are 'smartphone for dummies' is also incredibly immature and condescending.

I agree. I mean, China is just like the U.S. only locked down. You can get food, water and shelter in both countries. Not better or worse, just different. I'll hit the Apple store on the way to catch my plane to China.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

In all fairness, Google Now has trumped anything Apple has done on the iOS side for years. And because of it's more open nature, just look at the many cool things 3rd party devs have been allowing Android phones to do. Sidebars, pie launchers, all kinds of different takes on notifications plus much much more.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I mean, China is just like the U.S. only locked down. You can get food, water and shelter in both countries. Not better or worse, just different. I'll hit the Apple store on the way to catch my plane to China.

JHBThree is almost always a good contributor on AC, is there any reason in particular you feel the need to spew sarcasm at his post (not to mention a few others lately)?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

No one. Innovation ends after the first one is made. There have been ZERO innovations in automobiles since the 1780's, refrigeration since 1805, and weapons since 4000 B.C.

The logic in this thread is...overwhelming.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There is a report going around that shows during the past year, 20% of iPhone buyers switched over from an Android phone. Thats a pretty big number for "5 year old" tech. All the apps that I have running on my Android devices and iOS devices require no more juggling to do things. I think the devs care more on the iOS side and I will say it over and over again on this site and any other. It shows in the apps.

20% of Apple iPhone Customers Switched from Android, 7% of Samsung Buyers Switched from iOS - Mac Rumors

read it carefully, it's a misleading headline because it only deals with Samsung. A more accurate portrayal would be the growth of each OS worldwide from q2 2012 to q2 2013, not the individual manufacturers who sell the hardware.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Shows how dense the IOS fanatics are, to get on an Android 4 forum and try to convince everyone how smart they are for choosing an IPhone, which currently is being outsold by Android. . Duh!!!!!!!!

Aye aye, Captain! Not really. We're just not blind fanboys and appreciate multiple platforms. We're simply educating those who post ignorant comments. That's all.

Toyota Corolla's outsell Bugatti Veyron's. What's your point?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
JHBThree is almost always a good contributor on AC, is there any reason in particular you feel the need to spew sarcasm at his post (not to mention a few others lately)?

There is a reason. This iOS v. Android argument deserves nothing but sarcasm.

I admit, even in this thread, that Apple makes great hardware and software.

Where are the Apple defenders that will admit that there is great Android based hardware and software?

This is not personal to me, and I haven't made any personal claims or allegations about your friend, or frankly anyone else in this thread.

Regarding his opinion? You bet I don't agree, and I'll express my disagreement using any language tool I like, including sarcasm.

I will not agree that a locked down ecosystem is better than an open one. There is a reason people fight for open tech standards - and I agree with them.

Posted via Android Central App

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Toyota Corolla's outsell Bugatti Veyron's. What's your point?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You must be on something, if you think an iPhone is equivalent to a Bugatti Veyron, and an Android to a Corolla.... you must be crazy.
I love how are pointing the finger of "fanboys" supporting Android.... but what are you doing right now? Opening my eyes to see an iPhone is like a bugatti? HAHAHAHA

Seriously, stop pointing fingers, There will be extremest for anything and everything on this planet.
You are obviously a big Apple fan, Congratulations, I have nothing against apple, They make good product.... But so does Google, I love my Nexus (Corolla according to you) and wouldnt trade it for an iPhone (Bugatti) right now. Even if it was a straight across trade.

Not everyone will share the same opinions, or in this case FACTS (Corolla and Bugatti) HAHAHA
To be honest. I feel that us android "fanboys" seem to have a more level head than yourself.

PS Im not really a fanboy, I actually just like a good phone that makes phones calls. And at the moment, That phone is a Nexus.
So watch me drive off into the sunset with my Corolla gettting 40 MPG :p
2013-Toyota-Corolla-600-4.jpg

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Where are the Apple defenders that will admit that there is great Android based hardware and software?

Try the original post.

This thread did not start out as an Android vs. iOS thread, but it certainly turned into one. It was simply a respectful thank you from an iOS user who tried Android and was appreciative both of what it had to offer and of the help they received from the forums. That's all.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Try the original post.

This thread did not start out as an Android vs. iOS thread, but it certainly turned into one. It was simply a respectful thank you from an iOS user who tried Android and was appreciative both of what it had to offer and of the help they received from the forums. That's all.

Yes, the negative comments came from elsewhere, the fault wasn't the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sH4D0Wm4N