FB Messenger notifs not coming through when locked and off for awhile, then all come through later

godzfire

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
I don't know if an update occurred, but a number of days ago now (maybe since the FB outage), my FB Messenger messages on the Messenger app (not the Facebook app, or Facebook for Desktop) are not coming through when my phone is locked and the screen is off for awhile (even like 15 minutes or something). When I unlock my phone I don't even get them. It's only when I open the FB messenger app that all the notifications come through and pop up at once . It seems to only be FB messenger that's affected. I get Google Calendar Reminders and Text Notifications. They are coming through immediately and just fine on Messenger.com and Facebook.com .

Completely cleared the cache/data for Messenger and uninstalled/reinstalled the program. Makes no difference. I haven't changed any battery settings or restricted anything. Do not disturb is not on.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
- Google Pixel 4a running Android 11
- Security Update: Oct 1
- Google Play: Aug 1
- Build #: RQ3A.2110001.001
- FB Messenger Version: 333.0.0.17.119

Last edited:

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site
Hey mate i had similar issues im assuming was the update. Had same thing but with emails & some other notifications with some apps. Also Google Accesebility with Assistant is living again and in waays it shouldnt. I had settings the same so !100% System took me a while just had to go through everthing,EVERYTHING. I would also Check Your settings in Desktop for FB msgs to.

godzfire

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Did you find out the cause?

I don't use the FB app for messages (have all those messages disabled). I regularly use FB for desktop. All those are coming through.

godzfire

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Hey mate i had similar issues im assuming was the update. Had same thing but with emails & some other notifications with some apps. Also Google Accesebility with Assistant is living again and in waays it shouldnt. I had settings the same so !100% System took me a while just had to go through everthing,EVERYTHING. I would also Check Your settings in Desktop for FB msgs to.

I don't use the FB app for messages (have all those messages disabled). I regularly use FB for desktop. All those are coming through.

What Update is your pixel 4a running ?

Also i got a pixel 4 on 11r not 4a

- Security Update: Sept 5
- Build #: RQ3A.210905.001

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site

- Security Update: Sept 5
- Build #: RQ3A.210905.001

Your running last months could be the issue.
Need 1/10/21 Or just 5/10/21 Security update builds are :
Pixel 3 (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 3a (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4 (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4a: RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4a (5G): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 5: RQ3A.211001.001

Yeah ok you said FB msgs so you only use FB msgs service on Desktop ? So your notifs are linked to a email connected to phone correct ?

Maybe im misreading are you refering to Comments,Groups,Posts so forth outside of personal Msging on fb ?
So your Facebook App is not displaying notifications correcrtly in OS time wise off as you said.
Update your phone,Make sure notifications are on in System on all with right privacy timing.

godzfire

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Your running last months could be the issue.
Need 1/10/21 Or just 5/10/21 Security update builds are :
Pixel 3 (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 3a (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4 (XL): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4a: RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 4a (5G): RQ3A.211001.001
Pixel 5: RQ3A.211001.001

Yeah ok you said FB msgs so you only use FB msgs service on Desktop ? So your notifs are linked to a email connected to phone correct ?

Maybe im misreading are you refering to Comments,Groups,Posts so forth outside of personal Msging on fb ?
So your Facebook App is not displaying notifications correcrtly in OS time wise off as you said.
Update your phone,Make sure notifications are on in System on all with right privacy timing.

I haven't had any updates come through since this started so I don't think it's that.

The Facebook messenger app on my phone (Not the FB app itself), is not displaying any notifications when locked for awhile. Only when I unlock the phone will all the notifications pop up all at once, sometimes only when opening the FB messenger app itself.

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site
Yeah i see the communication now,You are using the FB msgner app thats known as just Msgner. The Facebook app is seperate and doesnt have that ability need Desktop version and a PC makes that easy view. Im sure you know just covering,

Here posted a some SS try that also Then try settings/Apps notifs/special permission/Notification access and have a look at special permissions. Do check Desktop fb msgs settings too just in case be surprised how they interact. Dont use it anymore any facebook at all.Screenshot_20211011-102056.jpgScreenshot_20211011-102041.jpgScreenshot_20211011-100926.jpg

Last edited:

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site
Sorry spamming Check your battery settings & dont leave do not disturb settings/Timer so forth many ways it accidently happens.

LAST OR PROBS FIRST MAKE SURE APP IS UPDATED.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you already tried turning off Battery Optimization for FB Messenger in the Settings>Apps>Advanced>Special App Access>Battery Optimization​ menu?

godzfire

Oct 10, 2021
Visit site
Added additional clarifications and information in my original post.

Yeah i see the communication now,You are using the FB msgner app thats known as just Msgner. The Facebook app is seperate and doesnt have that ability need Desktop version and a PC makes that easy view. Im sure you know just covering,

Here posted a some SS try that also Then try settings/Apps notifs/special permission/Notification access and have a look at special permissions. Do check Desktop fb msgs settings too just in case be surprised how they interact.

Checked, all proper.

Sorry spamming Check your battery settings & dont leave do not disturb settings/Timer so forth many ways it accidently happens.

LAST OR PROBS FIRST MAKE SURE APP IS UPDATED.

- Battery settings have nothing limited and haven't touched them since issue started.
- Do not disturb isn't on, getting notifications from Google Calendar and Text on lock screen just fine.
- App is at 333.0.0.17.119, newest available.

Welcome to Android Central! Have you already tried turning off Battery Optimization for FB Messenger in the Settings>Apps>Advanced>Special App Access>Battery Optimization​ menu?
I haven't adjusted any of those either since this issue first occurred. I will disable optimization anyway and test.

Last edited:

anon(10753934)

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site
Now your saying not getting them on lock screen ?
Wasnt the smaller problem not getting them at all.

Settings/apps & notificatiions/Msgnerapp/advanced.

If you click on the Facebook msgner app can you see in time msgs still ? Just no notifications right ?Screenshot_20211013-104911.jpg

Last edited: