FINALLY a better facebook app is on the way...

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Live from Facebook's mobile event! -- Engadget

Hopefully they update the ui.

-Facebook for android will receive places and groups
-Single sign on will also be available so u dont have to sign into every individual app that deals with facebook.
-looks as if facebook apps will now be available. Zynga Poker will be the company's first Android app.
-Updated sdk launched for android today!
-Now available to everyone(places read api, places write api, places search api)
-22 premium partners facebook is launching with." Chipotle, McDonald's, American Eagle, 49ers, H&M, JCPenney all on the slide, along with others.
ill update the thread as more info becomes available.

Last edited:

dlaur14

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait. I've been wanting something similar to the Facebook app that was on my pre. Hopefully this update does the job!

turbodude

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
seriously if they could just let us comment or looking at a photo without having to open a browser i would be perfectly happy with the app, and if it wasnt a huge battery drain

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
meh, i'll pass. i barely use facebook as it is. if i need to check something, i'll use the browser.

preminum partners = advertising

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The places function is pretty good imo. Hopefully now they can fine tune some of the app features with the sdk being released. I am still looking for picture tagging, as well as status tagging. I figure, if you can tag people when you check in, why not for updating your regular status?

The 'groups' function seems unlikely to be used, and currently it just hangs. I had family as FB friends and they were always able to see status updates and photos no matter what settings I changed, so I don't see this 'groups' thing as really working for the user anywho...maybe down the road they will switch out that icon on the start up screen to chat, as that should definitely be added!

It still boggles my mind that they haven't added support for video upload. Although I don't shoot video all the time, it just seems like an easy function to add.

Also there is no notification available for someone writing on your wall. Now of course the last thing I want is to be notified about every comment made or person that likes a certain post, but I think most people would like to know when someone writes on their wall, without having to go through FB's settings to get a text or email. Should be built into a good app.

I like that they have updated the calls so you aren't redirected to the browser as much, however there are still quite a few tap locations that just send you to the same place you were just looking.

But we still can't update our profile pic, and I know the api is available, as the twitter app just added it. Cool that the FB team decided to jump on some improvements/adds so soon after this announcement, but take some extra time and really solidify it at one time.

Maybe they just want to be able to slowly continue to update their app which keeps the buzz up?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's still a big miss in my opinion. There are a lot of missing features compared to other platforms' facebook apps (I'm looking at you iOS & webOS).

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While the Notifications have improved a bit, they seem to have developed a new problem. From my experience, you no longer get notifications when a person that commented on someting you said, comments again. And why I don't get comments from something I posted on my wall is beyond me. As far as notifications go, in the App, the really should include everything. I want to see comments that were posted on someones wall a few weeks ago, if it's new, I want to know about it.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I want push notifications.. I hate having to be in the app to actually get my notifications.. I wonder why they havent done this already... It is alot better then the previous version though.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
forced required update??? i just got a "manual update required" in the Market App.

i don't use FB much and i don't want this update confiscating ~3MB of my precious memory.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick