Fingerprint Scanner Not Working Well

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Since yesterday when I scanned in my right thumb twice at the angle that I would place it to unlock the phone, it's been unlocking my phone each and every time. Took several tries to learn exactly where to place it on the indicator but now it's working great. Very happy with this phone.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Since yesterday when I scanned in my right thumb twice at the angle that I would place it to unlock the phone, it's been unlocking my phone each and every time. Took several tries to learn exactly where to place it on the indicator but now it's working great. Very happy with this phone.

Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's amazing how much better the fps are on my 512GB ceramics than it was on the 128GB Prism. That update makes all the difference in the world for me.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have been seriously considering the S10, but this FPS issue is concerning. I live in AZ, humidity is always low, skin is always dry. Would go with the S10e, except for battery life, which appears abysmal. Need a true 18-hour phone under worst case. May have to consider other options. Any thoughts?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion, try it out... if the FPS doesn't work return it. But return it for a defect, not because you don't like it. Save yourself the restocking fee :)

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have been seriously considering the S10, but this FPS issue is concerning. I live in AZ, humidity is always low, skin is always dry. Would go with the S10e, except for battery life, which appears abysmal. Need a true 18-hour phone under worst case. May have to consider other options. Any thoughts?

I didn't buy my S10+ for the FPS. Mine has a temperamental FPS and I expected it to be because it's new tech. Everybody isn't having problems. I don't know what you're coming from phone wise, but the S10+ is a fantastic device...WITH the FPS issues for some. The battery life for ME is amazing.

What you want from a phone has nothing to do with the FPS.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'd say once you receive the update you'll be fine with the fps. The S10 line is really well done. ...but just like posted above, if you don't like it return it. They are fantastic devices. In fact, right now, I'd have to say these have been my favorites so far. The performance (across the board), battery life, camera...did I mention the battery life, performance, and camera?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If people have issues with the FPS I'm sure it will be sorted out... it may take a few updates but eventually it should get bettery. For me it took a few months of updates before the freeze on AOD issue stopped on the Note 8.

But for those that had issue not getting updates when it's already been released a while... seeing posts like that from Note 8, S8, S9 etc... I'd just exchange phones at that point because there is something wrong with the phone/sw load and just sounds like a whole lotta trouble dealing with updates in the future.

I'd say once you receive the update you'll be fine with the fps. The S10 line is really well done. ...but just like posted above, if you don't like it return it. They are fantastic devices. In fact, right now, I'd have to say these have been my favorites so far. The performance (across the board), battery life, camera...did I mention the battery life, performance, and camera?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, for us normal people Face Unlock should be secure enough. The chances of someone besides a sibling being able to unlock your phone is next to none.

If you are famous and have 1,000s of videos or photos out there and still someone would have to know it was you.

I also don't understand why Sammy didn't use the depth sensing front sensor to do a more secure face unlock.

I personally have both turned on.. face and FPS, but the FPS has worked great from me from day one.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If people have issues with the FPS I'm sure it will be sorted out... it may take a few updates but eventually it should get bettery. For me it took a few months of updates before the freeze on AOD issue stopped on the Note 8.

But for those that had issue not getting updates when it's already been released a while... seeing posts like that from Note 8, S8, S9 etc... I'd just exchange phones at that point because there is something wrong with the phone/sw load and just sounds like a whole lotta trouble dealing with updates in the future.
That was my big concern with the 128GB Prism black I had. It didn't receive the same update as my 512GB Ceramic black. Why? So I waited and just decided to return it. This Ceramic white received the update straight away and works beautifully. ...I'm just very pleased, but I should be, these are hella expensive phones.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, for us normal people Face Unlock should be secure enough. The chances of someone besides a sibling being able to unlock your phone is next to none.

If you are famous and have 1,000s of videos or photos out there and still someone would have to know it was you.

I also don't understand why Sammy didn't use the depth sensing front sensor to do a more secure face unlock.

I personally have both turned on.. face and FPS, but the FPS has worked great from me from day one.

Well I'll probably use face unlock I just think it'll be easier but I'll try the FPS my husband doesn't have a problem with it. But I'm used to looking at my phone now and unlocking it with the intelligent scan or whatever it is now on my 9 plus. I'm not going to want to hit the power button all the time and I will turn on lift to wake and double tap. I just enabled lift to wake on my 9 plus just to try it out I don't think double tap is there though is it?

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure why they removed the more secure face unlock they had on previous models.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes....if you've not received the update, get a new phone before your 14-day return window closes. Waaay more important than the FPS that will definitely be better in another update or two. But if your phone won't update, doesn't matter.

Once you go over the 14 days, a defective phone is under a warranty replacement policy. Sure, we're so early in the game a refurbished replacement may not be a concern right now, but the point is it's allowed under warranty. I wanted a brand new replacement phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Because they are determined to stretch the screen at all cost.
Yeah, I don't really get the whole "stretch the screen at all costs desire". I had no problem with the bezels on the S9+ or Note 9 but perhaps some wished for even smaller bezels than they offered. Anywho, the S10 screens are absolutely deliciously gorgeous. A ginormous canvas. The hole punch is actually kinda neat to me too so, Samsung, keep up the good efforts.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But it's not an infra-red sensor which is what it used.

Really too bad they gave up on it. Not bad for first gen. Just needed to improve on scanning with wider angle without having to bring it up so close to the face a la iPhone Face ID.

But one of the front facing "cameras" is actually a depth sensing camera... just use that?!?

I am sure they had a good reason.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But one of the front facing "cameras" is actually a depth sensing camera... just use that?!?

I am sure they had a good reason.
It's only on the S10+ right? May be they can't do that on the regular S10 and just settled with in screen finger print sensor along with built in android face unlock instead of just going with the more secure one just for S10+.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
But it's not an infra-red sensor which is what it used.

Really too bad they gave up on it. Not bad for first gen. Just needed to improve on scanning with wider angle without having to bring it up so close to the face a la iPhone Face ID.

I believe the infra-red was for Iris.... face u-lock can use a depth sensor, that is what iPhone does. Again, if it was that easy you assume they would have done that.

It's only on the S10+ right? May be they can't do that on the regular S10 and just settled with in screen finger print sensor along with built in android face unlock instead of just going with the more secure one just for S10+.

Correct only on the Plus, maybe that is why they didn't want to split up the security features. I still believe that if they could have it would have enabled them to offer more on the more expensive phone and they would have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish