Fingerprint scanner

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to set up the scanner to do things like log you into apps or websites which require account passwords? Or maybe as the master password on a password manager program? That's where I see the real value in the hardware; I mean you're carrying it around all the time, why only use it at the lock screen?

I remember reading somewhere that moto built that possibility into the software but no one has taken advantage of it YET

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
It did worry me, but being that there is also the number lock as backup, i'm no longer worried. only time it doesn't go through is when i try to be silly and swype fast on purpose or not do the whole print. It's accurate as heck and I love it.

My friend (the one who sold it to me) was saying it was pointless to have the number lock as well, but i think the opposite. glad it's there as backup, just in case the scanner goes bizerk.

one thing i like about it is that you can not "watch me type my password" or "see the pattern I make". you need MY finger. HAH

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got the device two days ago, and it came with 4.1.83 loaded. I cannot get the scanner to set up. No way, no how. I've tried fast swipes, slow swipes, and light swipes, and heavy swipes and every combination therein, and all I get is a message saying "swipe was too short". I looked on supportforums.motorola.com and there seems to be an issue with this update and the scanner. Anybody else using 4.1.83 and swiping with success?

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/379352#379352

SlickMoney

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Some days the scanner and I get along, others not so much. That said, I tried turning it off after using it for awhile and enabled it again about 10 min later. Definitely the easiest way to unlock the phone.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner is NOT very secure. I enrolled my left index finger. Then just as a test, I decided to try to logon with my index finger on my right hand - which I have never enrolled. What'ya know, it successfully logged me in on the first swipe.
Since then, I have been able to logon with almost any finger. :eek:

Same for you?

SlickMoney

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner is NOT very secure. I enrolled my left index finger. Then just as a test, I decided to try to logon with my index finger on my right hand - which I have never enrolled. What'ya know, it successfully logged me in on the first swipe.
Since then, I have been able to logon with almost any finger. :eek:

Same for you?

I had tried that previously but only my enrolled index fingers worked. Just tried again with the same result.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

nomad1109

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I disabled the fingerprint reader because I couldn't get the phone to allow calls from my bluetooth headset without taking the phone out and unlocking it with my finger...

Anyone know if I am missing a setting someplace or that has been able to get past the fingerprint scanner to make a call without swiping your finger?

Thanks for any help.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The scanner is acting up for me as well after the update. When it works it works very well but will quit working without any logic. Previously it was only happening when I had the phone powered off for any length of time but just today it stopped for no reason.

I hope this is corrected soon.

Incognitum

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
When I got my Atrix, setting up the fingerprint scanner was one of the very first things I did, and like many others, it didn't respond very well. What I discovered was that the way I thought I would be swiping my finger on the scanner wasn't even close to the way I was actually doing it in the wild. Re-enrolling after using the phone for a few days, and paying special attention to enrolling my fingers exactly the way I swipe them when I'm using the phone increased my success rate dramatically. Furthermore, getting the otterbox commuter created a sort of channel over the scanner helping keep my finger in the same position every time. Now I can unlock on the first scan about 75% and it's very rare (like if my hands are really dirty, or something) that it takes more than three. Three swipes probably takes longer than entering a pin, but since mostly I get it in one or two, and there's something intrinsically cool about it, I still give it aces 10.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
What I have found with the 1.8.3 update is that the scanner is completely un responsive randomly, like it does not even exist. So it is not a matter of incorrect set up atleast for me.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've a question about the "FingerPrint Scanner"
How does it interact with the 3rd party LockScreen replacement apps like WidgetLocker ?
Does it work ? or not ?

gkasper44

May 4, 2011
Visit site
What I have found with the 1.8.3 update is that the scanner is completely un responsive randomly, like it does not even exist. So it is not a matter of incorrect set up atleast for me.
Same thing for me. Have you found anyone else having this problem or answers on how to fix it?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
it just happend with my phone today for the first time ever. a reboot helped but after a few minutes it happend again. so i came across a motorola forum where people recommend to do a manufacturer reset after the update 1.83. i just did it and will be watching it. seems to be working now OK......

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
it just happend with my phone today for the first time ever. a reboot helped but after a few minutes it happend again. so i came across a motorola forum where people recommend to do a manufacturer reset after the update 1.83. i just did it and will be watching it. seems to be working now OK......

FWIW, my Atrix came from AT&T with 1.83 already loaded. I assume that would be as "manufacturer reset" as you could get. My scanner is still random. It took several reboots before it would see my finger swipe at all, then it worked for about 3 unlocks before it stopped seeing it again. Because it makes me reboot so often, I've had to stop using it. I was worried at first that I had a defective scanner because it wouldn't read at all. At least with it working the one time I know the hardware is good. Maybe this will be something Moto fixes on the next release. Kinda blows having a cool feature that they managed to hose with an upgrade.....

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my Atrix came from AT&T with 1.83 already loaded. I assume that would be as "manufacturer reset" as you could get. My scanner is still random. It took several reboots before it would see my finger swipe at all, then it worked for about 3 unlocks before it stopped seeing it again. Because it makes me reboot so often, I've had to stop using it. I was worried at first that I had a defective scanner because it wouldn't read at all. At least with it working the one time I know the hardware is good. Maybe this will be something Moto fixes on the next release. Kinda blows having a cool feature that they managed to hose with an upgrade.....
Well apparently the issue is worse than i suspected... my scanner stopped working again just now so like you said at least its not a hardware problem cuz it works from time to time. And its funny though cuz in 1.57 i think they specifically adressed this issue... unbelievable....

batrad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
works like a charm for me.. we require a 6 digit password to unlock our phones that sync with Exchange.. one finger is all it takes to unlock now ;)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well its been working fine since my last post... so the issue is rather sporadic than consistent and after all a simple phone reboot usually solves it... I don't complain though, the problem is clearly in a software glitch which hopefully can be fixed in the future updates, all computers regardless of their brand/manufacturer have problems, overall I am enjoying my phone and even reconsidering getting an SGS II.....

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site
works like a charm for me.. we require a 6 digit password to unlock our phones that sync with Exchange.. one finger is all it takes to unlock now ;)

Much speedier :)

You should tell your company you saved X% a year in revenue because you are now X times more productive :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe