Fingerprint scanner

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have discovered a fix for the (ok, my) scanner issue. I took the phone back to AT&T. After the one time of working for about 3 swipes, mine gave up the ghost completely. I did reboots, battery pulls, and even unrooted it and did 2 factory resets. It absolutely refused to see a finger swipe.

So today I took it to a retail store and swapped it for a new one. First thing I did was test it and it has read every single finger swipe I've done so far.

The old phone came with 4.1.83 loaded, as did this one. I am really starting to think it's a hardware issue on the earlier released devices. Time will tell, my 30 days started over today. Now to go and root and put all my apps back on. That was my mistake the first time. I rooted and installed/uninstalled a bunch of apps before I ever tried the scanner. This time I'm going to do a few at a time and test it as I go....

Rickroller

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I really wish that instead of just using this feature for unlocking the phone..that you could use it to "lock down" certain apps on your phone like the Gallery or Memos where you may store personal info. This to me would make this feature much more useful than in just an unlock.

Kpeacock22

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem with mine in that the scanner did not work at all. I turned off my phone and cleaned off the sensor. Now it reads it when I swipe my finger across the sensor but it says that the swipe was too short. Any solutions?

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Make sure that you don't leave your finger on the sensor after you press it to wake the phone.

Press the button, and lift your finger. Then, when the screen says Swipe Finger Sensor, swipe it.

Also, as others have noted, make sure that your enrollment followed the same general method as authentication. Your swipes should start just above the knuckle and finish at the tip of the finger. Don't just swipe the tip of your finger!

Dave__C

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really wish that instead of just using this feature for unlocking the phone..that you could use it to "lock down" certain apps on your phone like the Gallery or Memos where you may store personal info. This to me would make this feature much more useful than in just an unlock.

Try downloading "DataDefender".

It does exactly what you want.