Fingerprint sensor not working

HighGuard

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Trying to figure out if my sensor hardware is broken or not. Suddenly today I'm unable to use the fingerprint sensor, when I went to use it mid day it gave me the message "fingerprint hardware not available". I deleted my fingerprints but can't add new ones as it's not registering that I'm touching the sensor at all. I went to stop and restart com.fingerprints.serviceext but there that not in my apps list I, I can find all the other com. but not this one, I've restarted the phone about a dozen times and tried safe mode all to no luck. Is there anything I'm missing or is the sensor dead?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try something like DevCheck https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.devcheck - it should at least show that the fingerprint sensor is present.
I'd suggest a Factory Reset since Google is going to make you do that anyway as part of the troubleshooting process.
32615137df0ffc36315d01a07aadd7d4.jpg

southlander

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The likely problem is Swiftkey. On mine it interferes with the FP sensor somehow. Remove Swiftkey (if you installed it) -- see if that helps.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The likely problem is Swiftkey. On mine it interferes with the FP sensor somehow. Remove Swiftkey (if you installed it) -- see if that helps.

I use SwiftKey and this is the first I've heard of FPS interference. My FPS works fine and I wouldn't want to give up my SwiftKey.

I'm using Pixel 2 XL, which model are you using?
If you reinstall SwiftKey, does your FPS then go away again?

southlander

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and this is the first I've heard of FPS interference. My FPS works fine and I wouldn't want to give up my SwiftKey.

I'm using Pixel 2 XL, which model are you using?
If you reinstall SwiftKey, does your FPS then go away again?

Because I am the first one to figure this out going by the LACK of useful help found via Google.

I used SwiftKey on the Pixel XL (Pixel 1) with Oreo and Pie with NO issues.

I now have, yes -- the Pixel 2 XL -- just it bought Thursday. Un-boxed it and the FP reader was just fine, running Oreo.

Patched to Pie AND -- installed SwiftKey along with my apps. Bam. Stopped working reliably. Would get "Fingerprint Reader Hardware Unavailable" VERY very often.

Did numerous wipes, delete FP's, re-enroll. The pattern was after each wipe, the reader would work 100% until I placed my apps back.

Then yesterday after booting to safe mode and back I had it working well -- again. The it hit me. Safe Mode reverts the keyboard back each time to Gboard. And of course each time I would re-enable SwiftKey. And the issues would return.

I mean, I was having it work only about probably 30% of the time, and I use my phone heavily. Since dumping SwiftKey, the FPR has worked 100%.

Google says 3rd party apps can be the source of FP reader issues, and you can bet the keyboard app is the most likely culprit due to it and the FP reader both interacting with the OS at the same points (ie the device auth/unlock attempts).

Of course there might be some other device specific factor involved. Evidently there is, since you have no issues. Who knows -- but anyone having FPR issues and using SwiftKey should probably try its removal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny