First battery life and performance numbers with final/retail unit

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been reading lots of concerns here and at the carrier site and xda.
A lot of defective units out there?

Honestly, the reviews over at t-mobile seem to have a lot of people giving the S6 low battery life scores because of non-removable battery.
Also, most of the user reviewers don't even have the S6.

Here is a prime example: "No micro SD Memory, No removable battery. Key features that Samsung had. I was waiting for the S6 but without those features I pass. I will wait for the Note 5 and if Samsung. Make the same mistake with the Note 5 I will say bye bye to Samsung and will move to the HTC.
Also, the price of the S6 is too expensive for been a downgrade of the S5.
Cons: memory, expensive, battery"

He gave the phone all 1s and 2s.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
s5 actually scored 85 rating after lollipop, so no. But it still is a very good rating, should help people feeling safer.

Probably has something to do with Samsung's in-house Shannon 333 modem and the power-hungry ARMv8 core.
The S6 probably drains a bit more than the S5 during standby, but drains less when the screen is actually on.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
s5 actually scored 85 rating after lollipop, so no. But it still is a very good rating, should help people feeling safer.

I didn't know that. Although for comparison purposes, this is the initial release so the battery life upon their releases is better. I find that to be the only fair comparison as the S5 would have had a year or so of updates and improvements to improve battery life whereas the S6 hasn't had that chance yet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the reviews over at t-mobile seem to have a lot of people giving the S6 low battery life scores because of non-removable battery.
Also, most of the user reviewers don't even have the S6.

Here is a prime example: "No micro SD Memory, No removable battery. Key features that Samsung had. I was waiting for the S6 but without those features I pass. I will wait for the Note 5 and if Samsung. Make the same mistake with the Note 5 I will say bye bye to Samsung and will move to the HTC.
Also, the price of the S6 is too expensive for been a downgrade of the S5.
Cons: memory, expensive, battery"

He gave the phone all 1s and 2s.

Yeah I don't trust a carrier website for reviews. To many people just ranting and ratings things down .. without even owning the device.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't trust a carrier website for reviews. To many people just ranting and ratings things down .. without even owning the device.

What I want to know is what kind of retail unit GSMArena got. That's a decent improvement even for a battery test.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What I want to know is what kind of retail unit GSMArena got. That's a decent improvement even for a battery test.

Yeah .. those battery tests always make me say "eh" mainly because .. Video playback to me is I stream video .. whereas to them it is we play it off device memory. There are tons of other real world factors that can play into how certain things (like LTE streaming or weak cell signal) mess with real world battery uses.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah .. those battery tests always make me say "eh" mainly because .. Video playback to me is I stream video .. whereas to them it is we play it off device memory. There are tons of other real world factors that can play into how certain things (like LTE streaming or weak cell signal) mess with real world battery uses.

Well either way, improvement on that test should result in improvement in real world use, even if we can't quantify it the same way.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well either way, improvement on that test should result in improvement in real world use, even if we can't quantify it the same way.

To an extent sure but .. Testing one feature (nothing but video 24/7) is eh since most do a lot more .. texting.. pictures .. all that. So it helps to establish a base but not real world like testing.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

It's 83 for S5 with Lollipop to be exact and I recall it was about 72 with KitKat, right on par with this new S6 result.

But in real world S5 with Lollipop is struggling to match even KitKat performance no matter trying proper install, changing battery, etc.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's 83 for S5 with Lollipop to be exact and I recall it was about 72 with KitKat, right on par with this new S6 result.

But in real world S5 with Lollipop is struggling to match even KitKat performance no matter trying proper install, changing battery, etc.

I doubt there are many people with s5 did factory reset and put in a new battery to test the battery. If someone did it, please do share a link, would be interesting to read.

I do, however, agree that sammy's update brought s6 to a quite respectable level in terms of battery life. I said twice in many previous discussions, that the standby of s6 can be improved and should result in significant leap in endurance rating.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

S5 performs better than kitkat after lollipop issues are settled

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So the iPhone lost to the S6/Edge in talk time, Web Browsing, Video Playback and custom rating. You won't see iphone users commenting on this or will claim its rigged.

Source: Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

iPhone 6
Talk Time 12:23h
Web Browsing 10:29h
Video Playback 9:24h
Custom Rating 61h

Galaxy S6
Talk Time 19:48h
Web Browsing 10:56h
Video Playback 12:12h
Custom Rating 73h

Galaxy S6 Edge
Talk Time 19:48h
Web Browsing 10:56h
Video Playback 12h
Custom Rating 73h

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Luckily, I have no classes on Friday :) Will get the phone first thing in the morning

Smart man. I remember my senior year avoiding Friday classes was one of my highest priorities.

Luckily now I work from home every Friday so hoping for an early delivery from my UPS guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello