First Impressions

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine sucks, cause Best Buy didn't have my Verizon blue 512 preorder. Ordered on 8/14 so probably kind of my fault ordering late.

Panther6834

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I went from the Note 7, to being forced into something else (S7 Edge, in my case), to the Note 8, and now the Note 9. I'll be compleyely honest...after "playing around" with it for the past two days (received mine early Wednesday morning), don't find a lot of differences between the Note 8 & Note 9. At least not yet...but I'm certain I will. Yes, it's faster & more powerful; yes, there's improvements in the CPU & GPU; yes, the S-Pen has greater capabilities; yes, the increased RAM & storage will make the phone better; yes, the camera is an improvement...but, for the most part, it's just "minor boosts". So, you're probably wondering why I bothered to upgrade. While all the "boosts" are on the somewhat minimal side (the Note 9 is more "evolutionary" than "revolutionary"), there are certain points that stand out - camera, 512GB storage, Bluetooth S-Pen. There are other valid reasons for the upgrade, but these three are, at least to me, the most important.

This will apply to very few people, but, in regards to the price, believe it, or not, my overall out-of-pocket expense was fairly minimal. After the Note 7 was recalled, Verizon issued me a full refund, so, at that point, I had a free phone. Wen Samsung exchanged it for the S7 Edge, they actually paid me to "
take it off their hands", to which I was in the 'black' for approx $260. When the Note 8 came out, my out-of-pocket cost (after the "Note 7 owner" discount, and trade-in) was $370 (incl tax). Now, with the Note 9, my cost was $928. If you add all this up, my total out-of-pocket costs for the past 24 months, which has included four phones, has only been $1,038. Even if I ignore the Note 7, and adding the new Note 9 into the "fold", one can conclude that I've had over $3,000 (incl tax) worth of cell phones, for which I've only paid $1,038...thus I've saved at least $2,000. I mean...how many people can say they've had all four of these phones, yet only spent a little over $1,000? Now, will I upgrade in a year to the Note 10 (assuming the Note-series will continue)? Probably not. Even though the Note 10 (and, in all likelihood, the S10) will have 5G, I am more than happy with the 4G LTE speeds in my area. While those speeds are usually in the 20-40Mbps range, and can dip to the 5-10Mbps range, I have experienced speeds well in excess of 80 Mbps (occasionally breaking 100Mbps).

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Bloody brilliant! And that's coming from a Pixel 2 XL!

Screen is amazing; leaves the Pixel in the water IMO

It swapped everything across from my Pixel in no time; I've done nothing but faff with it all afternoon :D

Just feels better in the hand too; much prefer a taller, but slightly narrower phone rather than a 6" brick'esque phone really

Knew selling my Note 8 was a silly move lol

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Still trying to figure out why why why would they make the default stylus this garrish yellow color? Why not make it match the color of the phone?
To make it more unique. The stylus always matches the phone so this time they decided to do something different. Anyone who sees the yellow stylus will equate it to the note 9. Good marketing strategy if you ask me.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh now I’m getting excited! Just read through all the first impressions. If some of you were excited going from a note 8 or an S7 to a note 9 then it should be a big jump for me going from a note 5. I only ordered late yesterday afternoon so hopefully it ships sometime soon. Haven’t received any shipping email yet. Keep all the good info coming!

Oh by the way what are you all using for a screen protector ..anything? I did order a glass one from a discount code that was floating around. And a couple of cases. I currently have a glass screen protector on my note 5 and I actually do not like it. It always looks hazy and dirty when the phone is off.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, just had it for a few hours. T-Mobile 512gb, Ocean Blue. Previous phone: T-Mobile Note 8.

1) Definitely notice the slight weight increase and slightly boxier form. Feels real good.

2) Screen is cooler than my note 8. My note 8 had a perfect screen from everything i could tell but having them side by side with same "adaptive display" and in the same lighting, the Note 8 has a reddish hue and the Note 9 just looks cool white/blue which i vastly prefer to a warm display. This can obviously be changed in settings so not a big deal.

3) Never turned on "Download Booster" on my Note 8 and decided to flip it on for Note 9. Then started downloading a bunch of apps. In-SANE! PUBG (1.6gb) downloaded in under a minute I think, not sure. Of course in Atlanta, I get T-Mobile speeds of 100-180mbs down regularly and my wifi is 300mb Comcast, but still. Was an incredible difference to Note 8. Also, as fast as I was clicking apps to download, the previous one was done. That has never happened in any high smartphone I've ever had before.

4) Fingerprint Scanner change is a small thing but huge improvement for my smallish hands. I know most reviewers are pretty "meh" about it but I would say it's a very nice change. (I never got around to owning the S9 or S9+)

5) random, but S-Pen clicker top seems slightly less solid than on Note 8

6) Only listened to a few videos and not a fan of the weird speakers. Would have been much better if both front facing. The bottom firing seems quite a bit louder than the earpiece speaker and it just sounds uneven when you are trying to listen. Definitely much louder than the Note 8 and i'm sure i'll get used to it soon though. Just annoying enough to comment on though.

Ok that's it i'm sure i'll have more. It was a little anti-climactic opening it today since I had the Note 8 and they are basically twinsies but i'm glad to have the ultimate Swiss Army Knife phone now and the improvements over Note 8 are substantial (much faster CPU, stereo speakers, more network bands, tons of storage, better camera, s-pen tricks, etc :) Love it and won't be buying another phone until the Note 10 comes out in a year. Feels good after buying 4-8 phones a year up until the Note 8. Now just 1 a year but don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with this Note 9.
Wow, Swiss Army Knife is the BEST description for this super phone.:)

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
To make it more unique. The stylus always matches the phone so this time they decided to do something different. Anyone who sees the yellow stylus will equate it to the note 9. Good marketing strategy if you ask me.

Then I wonder why they didn’t pick another color like green or something to go with the purple Note 9? That would’ve been awesome my two favorite colors LOL. But I believe the Note 9 and purple has the same color for the stylus. Mine hasn’t got here yet it actually hasn’t even shipped yet :(

lisainsf

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Bloody brilliant! And that's coming from a Pixel 2 XL!

Screen is amazing; leaves the Pixel in the water IMO

It swapped everything across from my Pixel in no time; I've done nothing but faff with it all afternoon :D

Just feels better in the hand too; much prefer a taller, but slightly narrower phone rather than a 6" brick'esque phone really

Knew selling my Note 8 was a silly move lol

I agree with all this coming from a Pixel2 xl as well. I like that it is more narrow and the screen is amazing.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Then I wonder why they didn’t pick another color like green or something to go with the purple Note 9? That would’ve been awesome my two favorite colors LOL. But I believe the Note 9 and purple has the same color for the stylus. Mine hasn’t got here yet it actually hasn’t even shipped yet :(
Oh I would've loved green as it's my favorite color, but blue is there signature color. Can't think of any other color that goes with blue as well as yellow without looking tacky.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Maybe they're throwing a bone to Best Buy . . ? (Blue and yellow)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Well, yes, I understand that; even though I asked the question I didn't really mean it as if I'm completely clueless, I meant it as in that I disagree (strictly my opinion) . . I guess I'm in that crowd that doesn't necessarily want the whole room to say "oh, he's got a new note9" every time I pull out the s-pen . . But that's just me.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If funds isn't a problem. IMO the SAMSUNG Galaxy Note series in this case 9 is the BEST phone you can buy.

I always love and prefer the Note over the S, even back then I bought two Note 2. LOL Obviously, I can't afford it now.

Sometimes companies have a brain fart and SAMSUNG had one with the 8. First time I skipped the Note but everything is now right...sort of, I would have prefer for the price we pay, 8GB of RAM should've been standard but I get it's business.

I love my Blue Note 9. Still setting up and playing with it.

Jaskaran Bhatia7

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Got my blue colour note 9 512gb . Absolutely loving it. Super fast phone, best screen, great camera and speaker. Love watching Netflix on it. I haven't used much of pen but I think it will be great when taking selfies. Only downside I think is it's quite bulky.

Jaskaran Bhatia7

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Oh now I’m getting excited! Just read through all the first impressions. If some of you were excited going from a note 8 or an S7 to a note 9 then it should be a big jump for me going from a note 5. I only ordered late yesterday afternoon so hopefully it ships sometime soon. Haven’t received any shipping email yet. Keep all the good info coming!

Oh by the way what are you all using for a screen protector ..anything? I did order a glass one from a discount code that was floating around. And a couple of cases. I currently have a glass screen protector on my note 5 and I actually do not like it. It always looks hazy and dirty when the phone is off.

Get a dome protector it's costly but best out there

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok first impressions.....

to me it feels much like the Note 8 in weight and feel, depending on the light, that blue can be very dark, almost black sometimes. No point going over battery as I am just charging it after the setup but the fingerprint sensor is lightening fast, ok I'm hitting the wrong part of the phone initially because of the Note 8 scanner placement but I'm getting there, the intelligent face unlock thingy is quick too!
I will be sad to see the Note 8 go but honestly I'm genuinely very pleased with the Note 9 and I haven't got to many of it's features yet! only taken a couple of pics but definitely better than the Note 8 in low light situations.

I won't be happy until I get the right case for it, The Caseflex slim and lightweight will do until the Caseology Legion arrives but I'm still on the look out, might try the Ringke Fusion if I can find it cheap enough.

Happy so far!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
After the horrific debacle with Spritn and my Samsung factory unlocked Note 9, I walked into TMobile and got it onto a Prepaid accoutn without an issue and it's been smooth sailing since! Loving the phone. :) Great camera, smooth operation. I even got a used Gear S3 smart watch today and it paired right up, along with my bluetooth keyboard I'm typing on it right now.

Hellish day, but spectacular ending to the day once Tmobile saved my sanity. :)
sprint wouldn't let you add an unlocked note 9? I guess I'm glad I didn't order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick