First Impressions

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
sprint wouldn't let you add an unlocked note 9? I guess I'm glad I didn't order.
No the ones I dealt with were very incompetent they couldn't get it to work they tried in the store for over an hour I tried with a phone call they tried with a phone call I tried chat lines online to no avail. Walked into T-Mobile 10 minutes later he had me up and running with absolutely no trouble.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I had all the notes from Note 1 to the infamous Note 7 (had two of those) and then I switch to Apple -- the 7 and now the X. Thought I'd stay with Apple forever, but the Note called me back.

Just got it yesterday -- and it's quite the transition -- still have a lot of catching up to do -- but so far so good.

Now I have an iPhone X I'm not sure what to do with -- trying to separate business from personal but that seems like a lot of confusion -- so I guess selling it is in my future.

But I feel like I need a Note for Dummies guide to remind me of all things Android -- and to remember what to do with a Home Button.

I can sort of relate as I also had all Note starting from 1. Also had the Note 8 (tablet) and Note 10.1. After Note 7 issue, I got iPhone 7plus. Then got the Note 8 (phone) and the Home button was gone. Now here I am with Note 9.

JustPassin

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree that Bixby is really excellent. As is Google. Together, they make a great team! I am a very recent Bixby fangirl. It does some really cool things. I tell Bixby "driving kids" as I am walking out the door and it turns my bluetooth on, opens spotify, plays music with no profanity and fires up mobile hotspot. Then, the car picks up and plays the music via bluetooth.

And that is just one example. Bixby actually is not what I thought it was. I encourage everyone to really take a Bixby deep-dive before writing it off (like I did). It still may not do anything for you, but I think it's super-helpful (now).
How hard was it to set up?

gnote2tmo

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got my new note 9 yesterday. I set everything up and transferred all my apps and settings from my note 8 last night and then left it charging to full. Been using it off the charger since 10 am fully charged and it's about 5.30pm right now. I'm hitting 4.25 hours SOT with 50% battery left. That's awesome battery life!! My note 8 would have been almost dead by now. T-Mobile 512gb Snapdragon 845 version, almost all on LTE. Been surfing the internet, YouTube, been on the Android Central app, streaming,... Auto brightness has remained constant at about 60%.. WiFi permanently on though not being used, and have my airpods and car connected throughout the day on Bluetooth.

I can say without hesitance that this is the best dam phone I've ever used in the past 10 years. It's so freaking smooth and fast, I have about 300 apps on it already. Anyone on the fence who already has the note 8 and can afford it should definitely get the 9!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180824-171252_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180824-171252_Settings.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 69

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
No the ones I dealt with were very incompetent they couldn't get it to work they tried in the store for over an hour I tried with a phone call they tried with a phone call I tried chat lines online to no avail. Walked into T-Mobile 10 minutes later he had me up and running with absolutely no trouble.
that's freaking crazy!

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Picked mine up from BB a couple of hours ago. What a nice phone! Big phone!
Battery life (too early to tell of course) has been nice so far. It had 55% when I turned it on. Setting it up and installing apps and playing around with it and its down to 43% after 2.5 hours. Not too bad...... Battery life might just be a major upgrade from the S9 and N8.

2 minor critiques or observations. The FPS needs to be round and a little indented. Its a little hard to find with my finger.
The edges need to be a little more rounded imho...not a complaint mind you but it would give it a better feel in the hand. Since it is a big phone a rounded edge would be more enjoyable to hold.
No camera bump so it lies flat on my work desk. No wobble :)

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Just got my new note 9 yesterday. I set everything up and transferred all my apps and settings from my note 8 last night and then left it charging to full. Been using it off the charger since 10 am fully charged and it's about 5.30pm right now. I'm hitting 4.25 hours SOT with 50% battery left. That's awesome battery life!! My note 8 would have been almost dead by now. T-Mobile 512gb Snapdragon 845 version, almost all on LTE. Been surfing the internet, YouTube, been on the Android Central app, streaming,... Auto brightness has remained constant at about 60%.. WiFi permanently on though not being used, and have my airpods and car connected throughout the day on Bluetooth.

I can say without hesitance that this is the best dam phone I've ever used in the past 10 years. It's so freaking smooth and fast, I have about 300 apps on it already. Anyone on the fence who already has the note 8 and can afford it should definitely get the 9!!!

How do the AirPods work with the Note 9?

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
My first impression is that Samsung Customer Service is non-existent. Give Apple credit: their customer service is second to none.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
First impression. Screen is huge. Camera is great. Think battery will be great. Bluetooth weak like last few years of Samsungs. Works great outside of pocket works fine on thin jacket pocket cuts out and disconnects in jeans pocket. Every other phone I have used is fine with same headphones

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
On your new Note, download Samsung Smart Switch Mobile from the Google Play Store. Open the app and agree to Terms of Service. On the next screen, select "USB Cable." It'll prompt you to connect the USB cable between your Note and iPhone (using the USB adapter in the box), and after that, it will prompt you to select which information you want to transfer. Then, just sit back and watch the magic happen ;)
Smart switch fails on me every time with my iPhone X. It gets to 99% and then says it's disconnected. I'm guessing the issue is that I'm on iOS 12 beta.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Smart switch fails on me every time with my iPhone X. It gets to 99% and then says it's disconnected. I'm guessing the issue is that I'm on iOS 12 beta.

That’s probably the issue. Samsung most likely wrote their software to be compatible with official versions of iOS.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I will say so far I'm very impressed. I love the size and the weight of the device. It's very fast and fluid. It was even very responsive while it spent the first few hours just downloading things and updating.

No opinion of the battery yet as I won't be able to tell for a few days. Have to let it settle and let the newness wear off where I'm not playing with it non stop lol.

But overall first impressions is Samsung really nailed it. Oh and I absolutely love this blue color. I thought it would be more of a lighter blue but the tint on the darker blue is the bees knees to me.

Cladster

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Picked mine up from BB a couple of hours ago. What a nice phone! Big phone!
Battery life (too early to tell of course) has been nice so far. It had 55% when I turned it on. Setting it up and installing apps and playing around with it and its down to 43% after 2.5 hours. Not too bad...... Battery life might just be a major upgrade from the S9 and N8.

2 minor critiques or observations. The FPS needs to be round and a little indented. Its a little hard to find with my finger.
The edges need to be a little more rounded imho...not a complaint mind you but it would give it a better feel in the hand. Since it is a big phone a rounded edge would be more enjoyable to hold.
No camera bump so it lies flat on my work desk. No wobble :)

Hello you’ve been caught out :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-s10.2133817/#post-26381764

Last edited by a moderator: