Flashed Xperia Lollipop to Z3 - First Impressions

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I know the Xperia range isn't exactly the most popular choice on these forums, and Lollipop is well covered elsewhere, but I've now spent a few days using Lollipop on the Z3 (O2 in the UK - flashed the Nordic variant ROM late last week), so thought I'd share a few thoughts as there may be someone out there who's also interested on how Lollipop runs on the Xperia range...

Firstly, the flashed Nordic ROM is great. I did expect a few glitches, but nothing. The last time I did something similar was when I was updating via leaks on the Blackberry 10 software, and when I did this it ALWAYS when back to "out-of-the-box" state, so I had to restore and then muck around with folders and so on to get my handset back to as it was, but you can flash this ROM and you get 5.0.2 Lollipop and all you settings, folders etc. exactly as they were (anyone who wants the link, just say - it's on Xperiablog).

Sony seems to have done a good job integrating it's own skin with Lollipop (as it did with KK to be fair), but once you go into the menus etc., it's VERY obviously Lollipop. I like the UI, and stuff like the dialler are nicer to use. There's nice blue tinge to the picture of who you're calling, and the hanging up is better too (I used to find that hanging up was a little unresponsive on KitKat - I often pressed the red bar more than once to be sure).

In E-Mail, it's now 'Lollipopped', but the swipe to dismiss works the same. However, the bars for each message are quite a bit bigger, and I found one-handed swiping to be not quite so accurate due to this, and I sometimes missed one or it opened the message instead.

SMS it similar, although the conversation bubbles or blocks are more central now.

I used to use the Walkman app for my music, but since the update I've found that the search facility only recognises a handful of songs (I have 7000+), which is a shame. However, I've switched to using the Google Play Music, which works well. I've also noticed that the sound through my headphones goes considerably louder than before. There's no change through the speakers though.

Something that does seem to be missing which I uses on KK is Location based WiFi. This option is no longer there. However, I did notice over the weekend that, whilst out and about, WiFi did seem to turn off anyway whilst away from one of my saved networks, so maybe this is now stock in Lollipop? No sure.

The cards system for open apps is nice. It's purely an aesthetic thing really, as the previous KK way of things was fine for me, but it's smooth and works well.

I like the notifications on the lock screen. I used to use ACDisplay on KK to do a similar thing, but have uninstalled this now as Lollipop does it anyway.

It's too early to say if there's any appreciative difference in battery life, but if you own a Z3, you'l know this isn't much of an issue anyway. I did notice that my internal storage space dropped by about 1GB, as Lollipop runs on ART instead of Dalvik, and the pre-loading of some of the apps features means more memory is used. May be something to think about if you're near full. However, Lollipop also allows you to store some apps on the SD card.

From what I've heard about the glitchy start to Lollipop, I was glad Sony waited as this seems very smooth thus far.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
How's the battery performance and the photography? That's the two most important aspects for me.

I did say "It's too early to say if there's any appreciative difference in battery life". I'll update as the week goes on should I notice any appreciable difference.

The camera seems the same to me. I know that the Lollipop update via Sony does not include the 'RAW' feature that it does on other platforms (where you literally just take a big picture - no processing or anything), but the camera to me seems the same as it did before (other than family snaps & and a bit of social media, I'm not big on the camera side of things though - I've always felt the 20.7mp Sony camera to be more than adequate for my needs).

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone flashed and had a US based firmware which comes without the sim lock. I did that because it was well free versus paying to have my phone unlocked. If I flash Lollipop on it will it revert the unlocking function?

Posted via the Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I had my phone flashed and had a US based firmware which comes without the sim lock. I did that because it was well free versus paying to have my phone unlocked. If I flash Lollipop on it will it revert the unlocking function?

If your phone is unlocked due to the firmware, rather than SIM unlocked, then I imagine it would - not sure though TBH.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Looking forward to reading more of your updates on your experience with lollipop on the Z3.

Her goes -

After playing with Lollipop for a while, and letting it settle, I did notice a few issues, but the main one was the Walkman app that I mention in my OP, and that Google play music (the only other music app. that I could find that worked through my Smartwatch) seemed to drain the battery somewhat more than the Walkman app ever did. So I decided to flash back to KitKat 4.4.4 and wait for the official L build from my carrier OTA (which could be WHENEVER). However, once I'd flashed back, my Z3 got stuck in a boot loop. I tried again, and the same.

So, I then flashed back to the Nordic Lollipop ROM. It was fine, but then I noticed that my screen was very dark. So I checked that the adaptive brightness was on, and it was. The only way I could alter the brightness was manually by turning this off. So, I flashed the Baltic ROM - exactly the same.

I input a code I that found on Google into the dialler that gives you diagnostic options, and discovered that, as far as it was concerned, the Z3 had no ambient light sensor installed. I'd also tried installing Lux from GPlay, but this just confirmed this as it only ever read one reading, regardless of the lighting.

I was on the verge of a full Firmware reset via PC Companion, but then just decided to back up, and do a factory reset. After 15 mins, it kicked in, and now I have Android Lollipop with the ambient light working fine. Also, the Walkman app. update came through, and it works properly as well, finding my searches of songs/artists on my SD card just fine.

Flashing does have it's risks, and I guess that some stuff that goes on the phone when installing Lollipop from KK maybe prevents going back the same way. Possibly if I was to factory reset and then go back, it may work, but happy as I am now.

NB: After using for a while, battery life seems almost exactly the same as KK. I think my initial % increase I saw was the placebo effect of a shiny new ROM.

Lu99ke

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you do a full data wipe when going back to 4.4.4 from 5? If you didn't, its the likely reason you got boot loop... If downgrading a major version, you will generally need to do a full data wipe.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Did you do a full data wipe when going back to 4.4.4 from 5? If you didn't, its the likely reason you got boot loop... If downgrading a major version, you will generally need to do a full data wipe.

No. There was the option to keep your data, which was too tempting to ignore. The issue were when I tried to go back to KK. Anyway, all running well now.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Her goes -

After playing with Lollipop for a while, and letting it settle, I did notice a few issues, but the main one was the Walkman app that I mention in my OP, and that Google play music (the only other music app. that I could find that worked through my Smartwatch) seemed to drain the battery somewhat more than the Walkman app ever did. So I decided to flash back to KitKat 4.4.4 and wait for the official L build from my carrier OTA (which could be WHENEVER). However, once I'd flashed back, my Z3 got stuck in a boot loop. I tried again, and the same.

So, I then flashed back to the Nordic Lollipop ROM. It was fine, but then I noticed that my screen was very dark. So I checked that the adaptive brightness was on, and it was. The only way I could alter the brightness was manually by turning this off. So, I flashed the Baltic ROM - exactly the same.

I input a code I that found on Google into the dialler that gives you diagnostic options, and discovered that, as far as it was concerned, the Z3 had no ambient light sensor installed. I'd also tried installing Lux from GPlay, but this just confirmed this as it only ever read one reading, regardless of the lighting.

I was on the verge of a full Firmware reset via PC Companion, but then just decided to back up, and do a factory reset. After 15 mins, it kicked in, and now I have Android Lollipop with the ambient light working fine. Also, the Walkman app. update came through, and it works properly as well, finding my searches of songs/artists on my SD card just fine.

Flashing does have it's risks, and I guess that some stuff that goes on the phone when installing Lollipop from KK maybe prevents going back the same way. Possibly if I was to factory reset and then go back, it may work, but happy as I am now.

NB: After using for a while, battery life seems almost exactly the same as KK. I think my initial % increase I saw was the placebo effect of a shiny new ROM.

Having the same issue with the ambient light sensor. I received my Z3 on Saturday and upon powering up it immediately downloaded lollipop. Everything works fine, but the ambient light sensor does nothing. I have to manually reduce the brightness or risk blinding myself when I pick it up at night. You say a full reset and set up from scratch did the trick? I have been using tap and go from my Z3C who's auto brightness was also MIA. Maybe a fresh set up would do the trick?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue with the ambient light sensor. I received my Z3 on Saturday and upon powering up it immediately downloaded lollipop. Everything works fine, but the ambient light sensor does nothing. I have to manually reduce the brightness or risk blinding myself when I pick it up at night. You say a full reset and set up from scratch did the trick? I have been using tap and go from my Z3C who's auto brightness was also MIA. Maybe a fresh set up would do the trick?

Well it seemed to work for me. As much as the option is there to keep your data, a wipe and then flash does seem to eradicate any issues, such as the light sensor one.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well it seemed to work for me. As much as the option is there to keep your data, a wipe and then flash does seem to eradicate any issues, such as the light sensor one.

I might be missing a setting. I just downloaded a diagnostic app and it confirmed that the light sensor is indeed working. However, when I go into a room with the lights on and then turn the lights out, going to pitch darkness, the screen does nothing.

You are seeing the screen actually go brighter and darker? I have "adaptive brightness" turned on.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I might be missing a setting. I just downloaded a diagnostic app and it confirmed that the light sensor is indeed working. However, when I go into a room with the lights on and then turn the lights out, going to pitch darkness, the screen does nothing.

You are seeing the screen actually go brighter and darker? I have "adaptive brightness" turned on.

Mine is fine. Now. What stage are you at? What have you done so far?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site