Former Note 7 and S7 Edge Owner - VERY PLEASED!

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
As a former Note 7 owner who LOVED that phone, I thought I would report my first couple of hours with the S8+ has been totally awesome. With exception of the battery life (too early to tell), I really like everything about the phone. I already forgot all about the Note 7! Yes, I'll always miss the s-pen, but this phone rocks and feels like I have an upgraded Note 7 in my hands. Seriously, no more missing my Note 7, finally!

As a former S7 Edge owner (after the Note 7) - this truly feels like an upgrade. I heard some people saying that it didn't feel like much of an upgrade - ummm, what??? Yes, it's still a phone with curves in a samsung similar layout but the size, screen layout icons etc, display, and new features make it feel super fresh and super premium.

This thing is a rockstar, period. I totally dig it and no longer miss my Note 7, and wont EVER miss the S7 Edge (thank goodness).

Hopefully this helps someone shopping...

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
As a former Note 7 owner who LOVED that phone, I thought I would report my first couple of hours with the S8+ has been totally awesome. With exception of the battery life (too early to tell), I really like everything about the phone. I already forgot all about the Note 7! Yes, I'll always miss the s-pen, but this phone rocks and feels like I have an upgraded Note 7 in my hands. Seriously, no more missing my Note 7, finally!

As a former S7 Edge owner (after the Note 7) - this truly feels like an upgrade. I heard some people saying that it didn't feel like much of an upgrade - ummm, what??? Yes, it's still a phone with curves in a samsung similar layout but the size, screen layout icons etc, display, and new features make it feel super fresh and super premium.

This thing is a rockstar, period. I totally dig it and no longer miss my Note 7, and wont EVER miss the S7 Edge (thank goodness).

Hopefully this helps someone shopping...
So far I am in your boat.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
PS - facial recognition freekin rules!! Blazing fast - yes it's the entry level security option, but it's all I require.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Still on my Note 7 (the GOAT).

A few thoughts
I prefer the fingerprint reader on the N7 front vs the position the S8 has. A back finger print reader is an inconvenience on the S8 when unlocking if the phone is laying flat on the desk at work. Plus we all know the awkward layout of the S8's. Nobody likes this positioning being right beside the camera. What a surprising messup by Sammy!

Yes the S-pen is nice. Don't use it a lot but I love it when I need it to draw on screenshots or take notes.

Surprisingly when comparing side by side the N7 and S8+, the uncropped S8+ video is slightly smaller despite having a 6.2" screen vs the N7's 5.7. That's disappointing​. You can make it bigger but only if you cut the video down by cropping.
And I don't see much future in 18.5:9 video that the S8 supports.

I'm pretty sure the home button on the S8 is not as responsive/quick as the N7's physical home button.

The Note 7 still holds the title as the best phone ever made to date. Hopefully the Note 8 will add some more worthy features on top of what the S8 had to make it worth upgrading for current N7 users. Too bad the bixby button can't be remapped either. That was a really nice feature!

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm also pleased. I love the Note 7. It was the best phone I've ever owned. I endured the S7 Edge. it was laggy and got very hot.

The S8+ is almost perfect except for the placement of the fingerprint reader and the lack of stylus. It'll be a nice placeholder until the Note 8 arrives.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I feel the same way. The Note 7 was by far the best phone I've ever used and the s8+ picks up where that left off. Also the 835 makes the 3500 mAh battery last a lot longer. My only gripe and it was the same with the note 7 finding a screen protector. I have the supershieldz film and it's barely noticeable once it's on, but it's not too case friendly and doesn't stick good on the edges. They sent me a revised version so we'll see how that works.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I know it's still early but I haven't had any accidental touches like I did with the S7 edge (knock on wood). I'm really liking this phone but for me there is still that little something missing...the S-Pen.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
After reading all of the glowing reviews about the Note 7, I was interested, but the whole issue exploded before I had a chance to get one. So, I wound up getting the S7 Edge, and I DON'T LIKE THE STINKING EDGE. Give me a flat screen, give me a wider phone, I don't care if I've got to hire a crane to hold the thing. At any rate, the curved edges of the S8+ are quite a bit different than the S7 Edge, and so far, I'm a bit happier with it than I was with the S7 Edge. Though, I'm not so sure about the "software buttons" -- I just posted a new thread about how I fired up Microsoft's Solitaire Collection, played a couple of games, and then found that the software buttons were non-existent, and there was no way to get out of the thing. Exactly the kind of reason why good-old physical buttons are better than imaginary ones. At any rate, so far I'm relatively pleased -- it won't take too much to make me prefer the S8+ over the S7 Edge, which I wasn't too happy with.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I loved my note 7 perfect phone for me.I have had LG v20 which I was satisfied with.I got my S8 plus today .so far very happy .I am just starting to set it up fresh.Figuring out how to do certain things .I bought a case at best buy.I do miss S pen.

xsikal

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I really liked the Note 7, and the s7E felt like a huge step back. Very happy with my s8+ now, although I'm trying to remember how to disable the bloatware that samsung/verizon/google all included!

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
PS - facial recognition freekin rules!! Blazing fast - yes it's the entry level security option, but it's all I require.
Flossy Carter on YouTube at first thought he had no lock screen set up but found out that's just how fast the facial recognition is. I thought the same.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
After reading all of the glowing reviews about the Note 7, I was interested, but the whole issue exploded before I had a chance to get one. So, I wound up getting the S7 Edge, and I DON'T LIKE THE STINKING EDGE. Give me a flat screen, give me a wider phone, I don't care if I've got to hire a crane to hold the thing. At any rate, the curved edges of the S8+ are quite a bit different than the S7 Edge, and so far, I'm a bit happier with it than I was with the S7 Edge. Though, I'm not so sure about the "software buttons" -- I just posted a new thread about how I fired up Microsoft's Solitaire Collection, played a couple of games, and then found that the software buttons were non-existent, and there was no way to get out of the thing. Exactly the kind of reason why good-old physical buttons are better than imaginary ones. At any rate, so far I'm relatively pleased -- it won't take too much to make me prefer the S8+ over the S7 Edge, which I wasn't too happy with.
You can just hard press where the home button would be. The icons don't have to show up. You can do the same in a video when in landscape mode.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
You can just hard press where the home button would be. The icons don't have to show up. You can do the same in a video when in landscape mode.

I have subsequently managed to get the home button to work, but I sure tried and tried and failed the first time. Another member replied to me with the advice to "swipe up" from the bottom of the phone, and sure enough, that showed the navigation buttons. So, that's the real solution if you're in a game or app that won't show the navigation buttons.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I really liked the Note 7, and the s7E felt like a huge step back. Very happy with my s8+ now, although I'm trying to remember how to disable the bloatware that samsung/verizon/google all included!

Oh for sure, I cringed when I had to switch to the S7E. Note 7 was my baby! (Lol)

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Had every Note, since the Note 2. Had to turn in my Note 7 for an S7 Edge. I learned to like it, and it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't the phone I wanted in the first place, so it always felt like the step child. Was so happy to dump it yesterday and get the S8+. This is a very good phone. Better or equal to the Note 7 in every way, except it doesn't have a pen (which honestly I didn't use a whole lot, but would be nice to have).

I think with the Note 7, it became a martyr, because people were forced to give it up. People will never get over it. It's like that high school girlfriend that moved away, and you eventually moved on, but never forgot. Well, until 10 years later and she shows up to a reunion looking like Rosie O'Donnell

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884