From Blackberry to Android

dmase05

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have recently UPGRADED from the blackberry storm to the HTC Droid Eris. The phones are like night and day. The Eris is so much faster/responsive, lighter and less bulky, and I don't have to uninstall one or two apps to install one new one. Aside from the issue where I can't unlock the touch screen, I never have to battery pull like I did for the storm (multiple times a day). The Android platform has so many more apps available than Blackberry and many of the good BB apps are available for other models than the storm. The phone is only as good as its development community.

Who else has come to Android via Blackberry and what do you think of the move?

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Best move I've ever made....and I was a long time Berry user. Since making the move in December, I've transformed 3 other people into Eris users as well. I've found a lot of apps that have made the transition smoother, the most useful one being Quick Profiles, which enabled me to create different ringtone profiles much like the Storm.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I moved from bb to Android. WOW, what an improvement.

I thought BBs were the BEST smartphones out there. I was delusional. They have a cult following that is baseless. I was UNINFORMED and tricked. I checked out the Android OS on the suggestion of a friend.... I owe him a lot of thanks for showing me the light.

BBs are great... for people who enjoy antiquated technology, horrible mobile browsing, enjoy random reboots, enjoy pulling batteries, don't mind having limited apps, and want to give money to a company that hasn't updated their look / feel / stlye for 10+ years. I guess their philosophy is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Well, It ain't broke.... But, once you've had steak, hamburger sucks.

In BB's defense, the battery life is good on a BB. However, I imagine it would be better than Android. You know why? - because it doesn't DO anything. A tank of gas would last me several months if I had my var parked all day, every day - It's hard to drive while you're disconnecting the battery.

bad05gtt

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
i came from a bb pearl and really liked it for the 2 years i had it....but my eris is clearly a much better phone. i also have not done 1 battery pull with the eris compared to the many battery pulls i did with the pearl. i now look staight ahead with my eris and never look back on my pearl!!!!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I actually was not up for renewal and wanted the android experience, so I found someone on Craigslist and traded my Storm 2 for his Eris. What a good trade on my part I love this phone and it is only preparing me for when I get the Nexus One. I wonder if BIS upgrade of their OS to 6.0 will be a game changer or just another let down for BB owners.

jliew08

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to this

I've just recently purchased a Droid Eris and I have been an avid blackberry user for years. Any tips or hints for a newcomer?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what BB you came from. I came from a long list of BB's but the latest was a Storm 2. I came away missing two things, bb messenger and bbgpsgolf. Got over quickly with Google Talk and the plethora of golf programs available in the Market place. Do not worry about upgrading to the leaked 2.1 as you will be getting use to android in the first place and I believe it voids your warranty. Do not download an app killer as the phone is linux based and does not require it. Have fun playing with the Market Place, know that whatever you search for stays in your list unless you do a hard reset. I loev the Eris and am looking forward to purchasing the Nexus One.

bad05gtt

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
jliew08...go to the top of this eris forum posts and read the stickys on the tips and tricks (come to think of it read all the stickys ) their is a great amount of information about the eris..it was a learning experience for me coming from the bb pearl so dont expect to get it all at once...i still learn something new everyday...then use this forum for what its here for and ask questions..their is a huge amount of knowledge here from this people and then enjoy your phone !!

iberrychick

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
switched from the blackberry storm to the htc droid eris 2 weeks ago. amazed how much i love this phone. i don't have to do battery pulls, the phone doesn't freeze, and there are some really cool apps for this. have been a blackberry user for years, but wanted a touch screen. incredibly happy with the switch.

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the Storm last week. It's been really cool. Although I liked my Blackberry experience, the Android experience has been much better for me. It just fits me better.

SBC44

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Also switched from Storm 1 to Eris about 2 weeks ago. It has been more bittersweet for me. While I do think Android is a more superior platform and more "fun", there are several things I miss about BB, like email, BBM, and battery life. I think I will forget about all those problems when the Nexus One comes out on VZW though, can't wait for that.

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I have switched back and forth from BB to Android, even iPhone. I am still waiting for an android device with a Bold 9700 form factor or something similar. That would bring even more people over from BB's. IMO