G4 - Marshmallow update

dieselhazza

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Man this has been the worst performance i have experienced. It is fluid and very snappy. However battery life is very poor. Im getting half the life compared to lollipop. Screen on time is halved. I dont know how others are going with marshmallow. Would like to hear from all. How many SOT hrs are you achieving on marshmallow?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow update

So what were you getting for SOT and up time before the update and what are you getting after?

Seems odd that battery life would go downhill. MM is not really that major of an update and Doze should help battery life improve.

Are you sure location, Google play services, or anything else isn't running rogue or keeping the phone awake?

ahushiling

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Every significant phone upgrade slow down the device. It happened from Android 2.3 to 4. I bought new device. When I upgraded from Android 4 to 5
it happened again. I think this is marketing trick, that cause you to buy new devices. Putting non official ROM based on Android 5 bring performance back.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Mine is the same. I've gone from over 5 hours on L to half that. I've yet to see doze actually work when the phone is idle either, always lose 15% or so overnight.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Haven't received the update yet...

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here... Im on EE UK

IS "Sync" or "NFC" turned on... massive battery drains...

is your Location set to "High Accuracy", Set it too "Battery saving mode", also another HUGE battery drain is "Location on" in the Camera.
Check your Smart Notice, is there lots of cards updating... check the Weather... Is it updating every Hour, i find a 6hourly upate is enough (because, lets face it... you can just look out the window for the wather... but the G4s Smart Notice does look cool).. hehe

Also, did you do a factory reset after the update... even though som,e claim this is not needed, IMO, after any OS update, you should reset... Its clears the cache and dumps any old OS files which may conflict, especxially coming from Lollipop.

Hope that helps

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Same here... Im on EE UK

is your Location set to "High Accuracy", Set it too "Battery saving mode", also another HUGE battery drain is "Location on" in the Camera.
Check your Smart Notice, is there lots of cards updating... check the Weather... Is it updating every Hour, i find a 6hourly upate is enough (because, lets face it... you can just look out the window for the wather... but the G4s Smart Notice does look cool).. hehe

Also, did you do a factory reset after the update... even though som,e claim this is not needed, IMO, after any OS update, you should reset... Its clears the cache and dumps any old OS files which may conflict, especxially coming from Lollipop.

Hope that helps

They're all handy ways to save battery but I was getting over 5 hours on lollipop with GPS always on high accuracy, NFC always on, bluetooth always on and sync always on.
The only big change I can think is that I had used LG Access Lock to stop the likes of Whatsapp and Viber keeping the phone awake but maybe, although the app is still there, it may not be taking effect now. I've a huge dropoff in screen on time from 5.1 though.

I'd definitely agree on the reset though. First thing I always do when I get an OS update. I also uninstall updates to Play Services and let it update too.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Same here... Im on EE UK

Hope that helps

They're all handy ways to save battery but I was getting over 5 hours on lollipop with GPS always on high accuracy, NFC always on, bluetooth always on and sync always on.
The only big change I can think is that I had used LG Access Lock to stop the likes of Whatsapp and Viber keeping the phone awake but maybe, although the app is still there, it may not be taking effect now. I've a huge dropoff in screen on time from 5.1 though.

I'd definitely agree on the reset though. First thing I always do when I get an OS update. I also uninstall updates to Play Services and let it update too. Might help for some people.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I'd definitely agree on the reset though. First thing I always do when I get an OS update. I also uninstall updates to Play Services and let it update too. Might help for some people.

Yeah Ive always been hot on Factory resets after updates, solves almost 95% of OS blues :).....

Wow... thats amazing how you got all that screen on time with everything running, you could try ditching access lock for 1 charge cycle, see if it helps.... , sometimes... Apps that check other Apps could be misbehaving, although if its LG, it should be updated for Marshmallow...

You could maybe try removing or disbling lock....

I found Battery Monitor App to be quite good, see how it goes..

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Yeah Ive always been hot on Factory resets after updates, solves almost 95% of OS blues :).....

Wow... thats amazing how you got all that screen on time with everything running, you could try ditching access lock for 1 charge cycle, see if it helps.... , sometimes... Apps that check other Apps could be misbehaving, although if its LG, it should be updated for Marshmallow...

Does the phone need to be rooted for the Battery Monitor? I've never found a good one without rood, but I'll check it out now.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Does the phone need to be rooted for the Battery Monitor? I've never found a good one without rood, but I'll check it out now.

girl_inflames

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site

An update did go through last night? That explains why my phone just bricked itself last night. I'm so beyond mad right now. I went to check my phone and it wouldn't turn on...no matter what I did. Anyone have a fix ? I'm taking it to the ATT repair store today. :(

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

An update did go through last night? That explains why my phone just bricked itself last night. I'm so beyond mad right now. I went to check my phone and it wouldn't turn on...no matter what I did. Anyone have a fix ? I'm taking it to the ATT repair store today. :(

No. There was no update on the AT&T version. This thread is talking about the M update on international versions of the phone.

STiK

May 9, 2013
Visit site

MM brought my N7 2013 back from the dead. I can't see it having such a bad effect on the G4.

dodge3003

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Same here... Im on EE UK

Hope that helps

His did you get the update? Are they rolling it out slowly. I am running the H815 on EE also but no update yet.

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Man this has been the worst performance i have experienced. It is fluid and very snappy. However battery life is very poor. Im getting half the life compared to lollipop. Screen on time is halved. I dont know how others are going with marshmallow. Would like to hear from all. How many SOT hrs are you achieving on marshmallow?

Battery is just as you say. Terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones