Galaxy A5 Ethernet Firmware Update/Network Discovery

pbush1

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I posted this on the Galaxy A5 forum but had no answers, so I'll try here:

I'm running Android version 8.0.0 and just purchased a USB-C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (VOLANS-Aluminium USB C to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter). When connected & Ethernet enabled (in connection settings) I can run & update apps requiring an internet connection, but I'm unable to check or update the firmware ('Network not available. Try again later.') and the phone is not discoverable on the network (from Win 10 Pro 64 Bit).
Anyone with any clues or suggestions ? (please don't just recommend using wifi).

Thanks

Molly

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It takes more to troubleshoot that than can be done online. The adapter is designed for any "Ultrabook/Laptop/Desktop". The firmware includes drivers for "Chrome OS™, Mac OS 10.10, Windows® 8.1". (And you may have to turn WiFi off to get the phone do move the entire TCP stack over to the adapter - some hones hold certain connections to WiFi [and/or mobile data] as long as it's enabled.)

Something like this is supposed to work with the A5. (If Samsung is still playing the same games with Type C connectors that they did with microUSB connectors, it has to be an adapter wired for the specific phone. And the adapter firmware has to have an Android, or at least a Linux, driver.)