Galaxy Fold gets delayed! (Update: Officially)

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
My att is still active as well. Let's hope they get the memo. I actually hope they just hold the preorder rather than cancel it. Ordering was a giant pia so I hope they just backorder the phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of things that Samsung could have done better with the Fold. Sealed hinge. More durable display. Slimmer form factor. Smaller bezels on the outer display. Particle/liquid intrusion. Made it bulletproof and crush proof. Impervious to dings and scratches. Warnings on every part of the box, liners, and the device despite the warning in the owners manual.

Despite the delicate nature of the screen and the hinge, Samsung took a huge gamble to be on the leading edge of a potentially new smartphone paradigm. All the overblown criticism totally ignores the things they got right that make you want the Fold. In hindsight when you didn't invest the technical, financial and human capital as well as eight plus years of development, it's easy to pile on and petulantly demand perfection which is impossible with one obvious exception, the Big Guy.

While the customer has every right to expect a high quality and durable product for seemingly unreal prices, Samsung like any other company strives to do it. As has been pointed out, there are just some things that only real world testing, in this case a very small sample size of a few dozen units, can reveal.

If I were to purchase the Fold, the price tag alone would make me take extraordinary care especially after using it to be extremely careful with a product that, at this point, was not intended or targeted as the masses like the GS10+. Having watched and read the many videos and articles, it appears that two devices were damaged by particle intrusion and user damage of the screen while one could be a true defect with the screen. In one of the few times in my life, I would have paid much attention to the owners manual because the Fold is such a new and different product.

While the tech media did a service to their audience by pointing out the things that Samsung needs to improve in future iterations of the Fold, my belief is that they exceeded their mandate with FAIL and numerous/breathless pontification that the Fold was a complete waste of money. It's up to the consumer and the free market to decide whether to buy the product or pass.

While I respect quite a few of the more well-known bloggers, they are not intellectual elite that some would have us believe, abrogating our intellect and abandon our own critical thinking, to let be the final word. We are the final word and only need feedback and opinions on the products.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I think I'll wait two more months after June 11th to just get Note 10. More I thought about this the more $2000 didn't make sense for a Gen 1 device.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If article below true, then Samsung at fault for rushing out a 3/4 baked phone out to be "the first."

Even if 2 were user induced it showed the screen was still too weak for general consumption and the fact it's $2000 and only 900,000 units and in the hands of the elite community will own doesn't justify it.

12 press units. 4 out of 12 failures in one week. That's an issue. That was a marketing disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, lately they have been beaten to be "the first." Behind in the double and triple, quapdruple camera race. super Dark night mode camera race. Most noteably the race for in-glass FPS that was suppose to show two models ago only to have companies like OnePlus beat them to the punch to market. Doesn't matter if they were working on it for 8 years... if it's not ready, it's not ready and they shouldn't have released just to beat Huawei's announced launch date.

They were lucky to have this happen with pre-release units. As another article had mentioned if the phone got full release 3/4 baked and you had these type of issues, it would have been a bigger black eye than it is now. Compareble to Note 7 black eye. Now they have time to get it right.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sam...mpt-to-shed-apple-copycat-image-report-2019-4

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If article below true, then Samsung at fault for rushing out a 3/4 baked phone out to be "the first."

Even if 2 were user induced it showed the screen was still too weak for general consumption and the fact it's $2000 and only 900,000 units and in the hands of the elite community will own doesn't justify it.

12 press units. 4 out of 12 failures in one week. That's an issue. That was a marketing disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, lately they have been beaten to be "the first." Behind in the double and triple, quapdruple camera race. super Dark night mode camera race. Most noteably the race for in-glass FPS that was suppose to show two models ago only to have companies like OnePlus beat them to the punch to market. Doesn't matter if they were working on it for 8 years... if it's not ready, it's not ready and they shouldn't have released just to beat Huawei's announced launch date.

They were lucky to have this happen with pre-release units. As another article had mentioned if the phone got full release 3/4 baked and you had these type of issues, it would have been a bigger black eye than it is now. Compareble to Note 7 black eye. Now they have time to get it right.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sam...mpt-to-shed-apple-copycat-image-report-2019-4

To be fair, the Verge and Mr Mobile were due to particle intrusion, a feature arguably should have been included. The MKBHD and Bloomberg review units were damaged due to removal of the screen components despite the warning in the owners manual. Only one review unit could potentially have defective screen issues. The number of review units has been reported from 12 to 50 units, which the higher end of the range seems more plausible especially on a global scale.

Only the sales will determine how baked it is. To expect perfection, no matter the price, is unreasonable. It is reasonable to expect a higher standard with the higher price. The things that they got right and the way they were able to incorporate into a first generation device for a specific and focused customer has been totally ignored. Someone has to first and take the risk which no one compelled them to do. They are the only ones with skin in the game as none of us were involved in the development and testing. That's called competition. The customer, who actually purchases it decides what FAILS. That is what makes the free market so great. The takeaway is from the overblown, hyperbolic firestorm is that Samsung will be motovated to produce a much better generation two product. I don't see sales suffering much as a result.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I think the unsealed hinge is a bigger problem then the screen.

Considering where people would put this phone, bag, purse, backpack etc.... tons of particles could get into that hinge.

They pretty much have to redesign that entire hinge to seal it from outside debris.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the unsealed hinge is a bigger problem then the screen.

Considering where people would put this phone, bag, purse, backpack etc.... tons of particles could get into that hinge.

They pretty much have to redesign that entire hinge to seal it from outside debris.

Agreed that a sealed hinge and particle/liquid intrusion should be dealt with for sure. I am guessing that more care will be taken in terms of how it's carried versus the slab, glass smartphones that we baby with cases, skins and screen protectors.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sure but perfection is still unreasonable.

I didn't use that word but the term perfection without an absolute definition means something different to everyone.

I'm not going to defend Samsung at all first attempt or not. They should have known better.

I will give them an E for effort especially since they admittedly recognized it's flawed and appears they want to do the right thing by rethinking this release. Only time will tell if the product is actually worthy.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't use that word but the term perfection without an absolute definition means something different to everyone.

I'm not going to defend Samsung at all first attempt or not. They should have known better.

I will give them an E for effort especially since they admittedly recognized it's flawed and appears they want to do the right thing by rethinking this release. Only time will tell if the product is actually worthy.

I agree that there may be semantic or subjectivity on product quality. I am old school. Perfection means totally error free, no room for gray areas. No argument that the Fold build quality could have been better. That's a huge ding on Samsung. The warning label curfluful is analogous, in my opinion, to the warning label that McDonald's was forced to put on coffee cups when user misuse resulted in their injury.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Probably but they didn't arrive at the date without some reasonable indication?

Perhaps but it's equally plausible that they just made it up. I mean would Samsung really want the new release date to be made public by att via email to preorders? Although given there is no denial by Samsung at this point maybe it's true and it's just incredibly poor coordination.