Galaxy Fold gets delayed! (Update: Officially)

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Fold gets delayed!

It is interesting that nothing official from Samsung with preorders set to ship in 2 days. The devices have to be in the retailers' warehouses by now right?

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

And I just received a marketing email from Samsung notifying me of the 4/26 release date. Not saying it still couldn't be cancelled but I'd like to think they'd stop the marketing blasts.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

2 major news networks are now reporting the US delay also.

I am sure Samsung has a statement coming imminently

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

2 major news networks are now reporting the US delay also.

I am sure Samsung has a statement coming imminently

Who is the second network? I tend to think it's true but i would appreciate actual confirmation.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

They can redesign the panels... make sure the bonded outer clear goes edge to edge like you would think it's suppose to eliminate any possibility of someone peeling or the edge accumulating debris, wearing, and lifting. I mean why have any little gap exposed when it doesn't seem to be able to survive if screen gets lifted anyways.

Also maybe they can take a second look while they have time to make double sure the hinges are able to prevent debris getting in.

It took 4 units in a week to show some obvious weak points. Makes you wonder if they did any real world testing on these things?

It makes one wonder how much can be tweaked in a month beyond software and packaging to include a plethora of warnings for those who apparently needed it. Deliveries could be even delayed until after the new launch date. I wouldn't be surprised if the launch delay slips to June.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Recall the speed in which the note 7 batteries were replaced. It was impressive and the scale was much greater. This may require a larger redesign than that but the scale will be much smaller. Samsung has tremendous resources.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If it comes out to be official from Samsung (I assume this week at some point we will know) then that goes to show those reviewers weren't somehow just intentionally damaging them as some suggested.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

If it comes out to be official from Samsung (I assume this week at some point we will know) then that goes to show those reviewers weren't somehow just intentionally damaging them as some suggested.

I think Samsung would have killed the WSJ story or made an announcement saying it is not true by now before every tech site ran with it. They likely leaked it to them to get the story out.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Here you go with that nonsense again. No one was saying reviewers were intentionally damaging their devices. That would make no sense. I was suggesting they weren't being extra careful with sensitive new tech.

Stop with your phony narratives .

Btw, if reviewers who should know better were peeling off crap they shouldn't have been, imagine had this been released. Samsung had little choice here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Here you go with that nonsense again. No one was saying reviewers were intentionally damaging their devices. That would make no sense. I was suggesting they weren't being extra careful with sensitive new tech.

Stop with your phony narratives .

Btw, if reviewers who should know better were peeling off crap they shouldn't have been, imagine had this been released. Samsung had little choice here.

Sorry it isn't phony narratives. You don't have to like my opinion that is okay :).

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Agreed. That sucks. I was pretty excited for this. But it's clearly the right thing to do.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Sorry it isn't phony narratives. You don't have to like my opinion that is okay :).

I don't mind your opinion...at all. But I will counter if I feel my perspective is being mischaracterized.

That's all. Other than that, we're all good. 😁

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind your opinion...at all. But I will counter if I feel my perspective is being mischaracterized.

That's all. Other than that, we're all good. ??????

You can counter all day. I didn't call anyone by name since it definitely wasn't one person or here only hence me stating it the way I did. I saw it in many places :).

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Official statement on Samsung's site now

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-to-postpone-the-launch-of-the-galaxy-fold

I'm still excited to get one when they sort out whatever it is they need to do, although I have a feeling it may be more about education that it's a fragile device, and officially giving people Samsung Care+. Perhaps lining up some kind of advance replacement scheme too. I doubt there's much they can do for the hardware as they've already been manufacturing them for a couple of weeks now.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Says it all:

To fully evaluate this feedback and run further internal tests, we have decided to delay the release of the Galaxy Fold. We plan to announce the release date in the coming weeks.

Initial findings from the inspection of reported issues on the display showed that they could be associated with impact on the top and bottom exposed areas of the hinge. There was also an instance where substances found inside the device affected the display performance.

We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold.

It sounds like it will be longer than just one month...