Galaxy Nexus- Close But No Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Were these audio quality issues in the native music app as well? I listen to music all the time and i get really high quality music. Could it be the apps you used?

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
i work at a place manufacturing very high end audio i cant disclose the names but its very high end.

I tested my Bose QC15

very high end

High end? And then you talk about Bose? Ah, knew it was a troll post.

Joking aside, the phone didn't offer him the sound he enjoyed on the iPhone. He didn't hate the phone, he just said he's going to go back to his iPhone until all the kinks are worked out. I personally can't understand why anyone would do that, but it's his life? Why are people so uppity on here?

Reactions: mattbourge

caineo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks blazin247. I'm not dissin' the GNex at all. Just sharing my experience as a consumer, not as a hobbyist/enthusiast.

FWIW- I don't expect stock earbuds to offer great sound. But I found both Gnex's to be unlistenable. And you all make a good point that the sound source can make all the difference. I just figured that when I had a steady 128K stream, I shouldn't be losing everything below about 200 Hz.

In any case, the deal breaker for me was phone call audio. I'm well aware that better headphones, EQ, amplification can all improve the sound for listening to music. But in day to day use as a phone (there I go again), these add-ons won't improve the dropouts and distortion that made the other person on the call nearly unintelligible to the point that both of my units were difficult to use as a phone.

In any case, given that my posts are upsetting some, I guess I'll stop posting. I didn't mean to antagonize anyone. Sorry.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider Bose every high end. As you can see i also was talking about. High end i consider Audez'e LCD-2 Planar Magnetic and Audio-Technica ATH-M50S however i doubt you or any other people on here will have the money to spend on a set of headphones that are that much. I have QC15's for airline travel and i use them as they are very popular and something that is easy available for people to get. They also have the best noise cancellation of any headset. Yes they are lacking in the high frequency rang of nose cancellation but all around they are the best bottom line. Also they are one of the most comfortable headsets i have used. Not big and bulky. Light weight. Good noise cancellation and comfort is what Bose knows a thing or two about. Worth $300? Nope worth $200? Perhaps.

Bottom line the phone is fine and you just need to get a good set of head phones or buds and set up a EQ. I can plug my Audez'e in a $4000 reviver and play a compressed to hell mp3 and set up the EQ so it sounds like crap. A lot of the test drive stations at electronic stores are set up so the music you hear is the best it will be. Perfect for the headset "Bose and Beats i'm looking at you". You get home and they sound nothing like they did at the store.

But honestly if you knew or cared about sound quality. The stock ear buds that came with the nexus would still be in a box and you would be messing with eq settings. My gnex sounds awesome. I would compare it to my Razr but with the reports of the 3.5mm jack on them breaking i'm not going to try that. But you cant be to picky about the sound quality. Its a PHONE. The music you play is COMPRESSED so their is going to be a quality loss as with all digital formats.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's time for me to bow out of this debate. Apparently the OP isn't entitled to his opinion. Mine was that the sound seemed okay, but not as good as my iPod Touch or Sansa Clip. Apparently I'm also poor is what you've gathered? I think my Etymotic's IEM's are delightful. I tried a few other headsets before I settled on them, and honestly, I don't think spending another $200 would have made a difference -to me-. For the record, my stock buds are sitting in a box. I think\hope you confused who you were replying to.

soogriff

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had call quality issues at all. The other person sounds great and I haven't had any complaints about how I sound during a call.

I do agree with you when it comes to the speaker being on the bottom. I will never understand that.

I live in Dallas so I get to enjoy 4G speeds. It is nice.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, it's great to jump on the forums and see somebody completely torn apart for offering his opinions. Heaven forbid somebody has an issue with a product they purchased and wants to have a discussion with other people who bought the same thing.

Seriously, OP, how does your new B-hole feel? You were definitely torn a new one here.

Reactions: Droid800

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm an audiophile. While I love 192kHz/24bit audio, I find it impractical to collect and enjoy without dedicating a room in a house that's built from scratch for it. That being said, 320kbps MP3 is what most listen to and nowadays on an iOS device. Having come from the iOS world, it was imperative to me that my audio listening experience on the GNex be at least the same as the iPhone 3GS.

I now own the GNex and my wife owns the iP4S. I just did the Pepsi challenge with the same medium (192 kbps) and high (320 kbps) bitrate MP3s on both devices with myself and my wife using Sony MDR-7506 headphones after gain-staging the devices. Neither of us could tell the difference between the devices. The tracks sounded THE SAME.

After doing this quasi-scientific exercise, I assert that the audio quality of the GNex is the same as the iPhone 4S.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Wow, it's great to jump on the forums and see somebody completely torn apart for offering his opinions. Heaven forbid somebody has an issue with a product they purchased and wants to have a discussion with other people who bought the same thing.

Seriously, OP, how does your new B-hole feel? You were definitely torn a new one here.

LOL, what the OP got was honest responses from those who didn't agree. His post came off more like a 'here's why the iphone 4s is better' than a real discussion. And anyway, these types of threads i.e "I just dumped my x phone for y" never end well. He'd have better luck with a thread like this on the iPhone forums.

And yes he is entitled to his opinions however everyone else is entitled to theirs as well as long as it doesn't turn personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.