Galaxy Nexus- Close But No Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

caineo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
While making a phone selection recently, I received such great information here and on other blogs that I wanted to give back by sharing my experience. I'm hopeful that these comments will be helpful to others, and received in the positive spirit in which I post them.

BTW, I have 30 years in a high tech career and I'm a product guy at heart. But I'm not an early adopter, I'm more of an early mainstream sort of guy.

I bought an iPhone 3 in November of 2008. It was a stunningly well thought out product. After my contract was up, I started looking for the "right" Android phone. I wanted something different, and with LTE coming out I wanted 4G.

While on vacation in Maui in March of 2011, the HTC Thunderbolt was released, so I bought one. No matter what I did via settings, it chewed through battery with minimal use. So I returned it, and very reluctantly went back to my old tired and now very slow iPhone.

Then I spied the Galaxy S 2 and couldn't wait til it was released on Verizon- the only carrier that works at my house. But alas disappointment was mine in August of 2011 when it was clear that the GS2 wasn't coming to Verizon.

And then the wait for "the one" began- the (eventually named) Galaxy Nexus. I bought mine on the release day, and was initially quite impressed. :D Gorgeous and huge screen, and FAST. Wow, 3G network browsing wasn't just usable, it was enjoyable. I loved the navigation, the Google Voice search, the turn-by-turn navigation, etc. Also loved the keyboard it comes with- that shows capital letters when you shift to upper case, so you always know what you're typing, even for passwords.

I wear a men's large glove, so while my hands aren't huge they aren't tiny either. Certain one hand operations are simply not possible. I can't get my thumb to the far corner of the screen. There were times when I wondered if this was a phone or a micro-tablet. But a liveable limitation in exchange for the big beautiful screen!

I decided to get some radio apps- Slacker and Tune-in to start. I dug out the provided ear buds and plugged in. I was shocked at how tinny the audio was. I'm a musician, and pretty much all tones below C3 were missing. It was overly bright, and almost painful to listen to. I quickly unplugged the ear buds to see how it sounded through the speaker and it was dreadful. Hhhmmm, big disappointment.

I also noticed that the audio quality on phone calls was disappointing. The other party could hear me just fine, but their voice was distorted. In a quiet setting you could understand pretty easily- it was just unpleasant to listen to. But in a noisier setting such as in a car, it quickly became unintelligible. On a few calls at my house, it was so annoying that I called the other person back on the landline, and the audio was fine. This became a pretty central issue, because despite all the other goodies, I still use my phone for (gasp!) PHONE CALLS! So between the music and the phone audio, it sure seems like there's a problem in the GNex in this area.

One day at the office, I received a call with someone in my office and decided to put the call on speakerphone and set the phone on my desk. The catch is, the "speaker" is inexplicably on the back side of the phone, so it was "talking" into the surface of my desk. You could barely hear it. If I picked the phone up you could hear much better. But what I quickly discovered is that the way I would typically hold the phone would also obscure the speaker making it hard to hear. And this phone is big enough that there aren't all that many ways to hold it.

Many have noted, and I agree, that the placement of the on/off button opposite the volume controls is most unfortunate. It is essentially impossible to turn the phone of ("soft off") without also pressing the volume up or down control. Not a killer but an obvious oversight.

Unfortunately, even on 3G network the battery life was only so-so, and I'm not a heavy user at all. I could get through the day, but that was with maybe 15 minutes of browsing, a few phone calls, etc. However, it was manageable. But one day when booting the baby up, it froze. And nothing I could do would unfreeze it. And nothing the Verizon rep could do would unfreeze it either. So I got a replacement.

Then I needed to travel to Austin via Phoenix and got my first LTE experience (it's not yet available where I live). WOW WOW and WOW. Sitting in the Phoenix airport I completed a number of banking transactions on line between two banks, just as easily as if I were sitting at a desktop computer. This, my friends, is the future of mobile computing and what an exciting future it is!

So all this time, I'm worried about my January 15th deadline to keep the GNex or swap for something else at VZ. And I find that I'm loving it's strong points more and more, but also feeling like it's a bit buggy and not handling some basics (audio quality) very well. I repeated the tests with my second phone to make sure they weren't an artifact of the first. One influence is that 4G hasn't arrived in my city yet, although it is rumored to be coming. I didn't want to tie myself up in a two year contract with (say) an iPhone 4S and then be off of 4G for half of that time.

So it all came to a head this morning. I ran a 3G speedtest from my house using speedtest.net. Download was 300K (!) and upload was less than 100K!! Ping was nearly 500 mS. This, of course, is with wifi turned off. Yet my radio stations were streaming at either 64K or 128 K, so I don't think the data rate affected the sound quality. But it's pretty slow browsing out here.

I researched the prominent Android competitors (Rezound and Razr) and ultimately came to the following conclusion- I really just want "an appliance" that works. I don't really want a hobby where my phone is concerned. And I don't really want to live with something that (to me) is "Beta" quality.

As soon as I said those words to myself, I realized that was my overall feeling about the Galaxy Nexus. It's mostly a great design, and in most ways pretty well executed. I won't repeat the niggles that you can read elsewhere. I like the features, like the navigation, was able to customize and organize it the way I wanted. But I have had enough issues across two phones, that it feels like Beta or Rev 1.0, and fails at a couple of fundamentals (audio quality for music and for phone calls). I ultimately decided I couldn't live with these blemishes in the hope that a future software release would correct them.

I'm guessing that issues like these were responsible for the multiple delays in the release. and I'm thinking they should have waited another couple of months.

So this morning, with deep disappointment and grudging resignment, I went back to VZ and for a mere $35 swapped it for an iPhone 4S. The screen felt small. It doesn't look like something new and cool. But the gosh darn thing just works.

Wouldn't you know, instead of one bar of signal strength at my house, I have 3. So I decided to run speedtest on the Apple 4S just now, from my home. The ping was 259 mS, and the download speed was 550K. Still slow, of course, but I live in a rural area. But usable (on the download side anyway). The audio is terrific, running Pandora or playing downloaded music. The ear buds provide full spectrum sound (within the obvious limitations of their size). No comparison to either of the GNex phones I had.

Siri is kind of cool, but I'd rather have the Google voice search widget. Maybe I can get one for the iPhone, I haven't investigated that. The screen seems really small now, after nearly a month with the GNex. But while I only have half a day of heavier than usual use, the battery seems to be holding up quite a bit better than the Gnex (with LTE turned off). I do think the iPhone's camera is quite a bit better.

So while there are religious arguments as to why one is better than the other, for me it ultimately came down to the audio quality issues. And these don't seem to be universal to the device, but they were common to both of the units I had. I think I could have lived with the other bugs and quirks I came across. But I need a solid and reliable phone.

I'm not happy with the outcome- I WANTED the GNex to be THE ONE. I WANTED it to work so I could enjoy a non-Apple. I investigated the others and came to the same conclusion. If mobile devices are a hobby, any of these new LTE devices will work perfectly well for you. But I wanted an appliance even more than that, so I (snif-snif) ended up going back to the (closed, arrogant, but still leading in quality) Apple. :-\

If you can live with a few "early to market" quirks and inconveniences, the GNex is a great phone and you'll love it. If you need a perfect appliance, maybe not.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I honestly don't know how you could go back to Apple from an Android device. The limitations are maddening, IMHO. There doesn't yet seem to be that "perfect device" in the Android universe, but the iPhone just seems too dumbed down coming back from an Android phone. If we could take the camera and sound quality of the iPhone, the radio of a Motorola, the build quality of a Nokia, and plug it into the GNex, I'm pretty sure that'd be it.

Reactions: kharrigan

caineo

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I sure have to agree with you, blazin247! That would be the perfect deal. And I don't need perfect. But I find I have less and less time to horse around so I'll have to live with it for a while. And yes, it is frustrating to go back to the limitations of the Apple universe.

I'm truly grateful there are early adopters who will live through the warts to make these better devices. I'm really impressed with how far Android has come.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I probably would have agreed the first week of owning my GNex. I'm now two weeks in and now disagree because of the philosophy behind the Android and iOS .

We all know that iOS is optimized and limited... which seems great at first but becomes more and more limited over time. Apple is the ONLY company that shines on iOS devices. 3rd party apps can't really compete with Apple apps.

Android's power comes from the open nature. 3rd party apps are REPLACEMENTS for the apps included on the device. Settings can be tweaked at a granular level.

You mention that sound quality is lacking on the GNex (which I completely disagree with, BTW). Did you know that you can apply EQ across all apps including the phone?

My wife uses the iPhone 4S. I can't go back to that device. It's too small, too limited, and too slow when not on Wi-Fi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Many have noted, and I agree, that the placement of the on/off button opposite the volume controls is most unfortunate. It is essentially impossible to turn the phone of ("soft off") without also pressing the volume up or down control.

Good god, what are you talking about? "essentially impossible"? I didn't even have that problem the first time I picked up and started using the phone. Just because you have a hard time pressing the power button without also pressing the volume button because of the way you hold the phone doesn't mean that that pressing one button without pressing the other is "essentially impossible". Not everyone has the same grip.

NorCalStorm

Oct 31, 2009
www.twitter.com
Its funny because the people who are having the most problems are people who live in a 3G only area. Im in good ole Nor Cal with 4G bringing me speeds up to 30mbs. After 4G I could never go back. This device truly shines when connected to a solid tower. LTE alone wouldnt allow me to exchange this device. It has brought me fastest speeds compared to the other 4G phones. Yes I do suffer from having to have two fully charged batteries just to get through the day and its my only complaint. But at these speeds u only need 6 hours to get things done. It is really that fast. You might of suffered a brief uncomfort with no 4G but the day your town gets it you will regret it.

Reactions: mattbourge

mattbourge

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read some of this novel and I think you are being a bit knit picky on dumb stuff...pressing the volume buttons when you press the unlock button???? Are you using vice grips??? Hahah give me a break..you sound like the type that needs a dumbed down iPhone. This phone is amazing, I just got the extended battery and the best just got better.

+1 on people whining about living in a 3G area. Get over it and enjoy this beautiful device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You mention that sound quality is lacking on the GNex (which I completely disagree with, BTW). Did you know that you can apply EQ across all apps including the phone?

+1
So very true. Volume+ helps with the overall volume too. It is perfectly loud enough after using it.

Power Amp for listening to music makes it so much better, in the headphones at least. The external speaker isnt going to hit all freqs because well it is a phone after all and not a sound system.

I wouldn't trade this phone for any other phone on the market. I don't even live in a LTE area and I still thing the Gnex is outstanding.

Reactions: mattbourge

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with the OP. Android is and has always seemed like an unfinished product. It's capabilities far exceeds iOS but like he says seems like its always in Beta. Google needs to finish a project before moving to another, that would be nice.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I dont get it. Ive had an iphone. I have a gnex. There is really no comparison. I dont ever get the whole Ics beta thing. My gnex just works. My Iphone just worked too...it just had it hands tied behind its back and was a little simple. Some people must have jacked up phones or they are just plain doing it wrong....cuz mine and my wives Nexxi are damn near perfect phones.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I just made the switch FROM in iPhone 4s to a Nexus...... all it took for me to remember why I didnt like the iOS devices was trying to d/l apps at work the other night and getting the "File size is over 20MB, must be done via Wifi connection" That to me is an absolute PITA and deal breaker. I am OUT of wifi more than I am in a wifi area so I was limted a lot.

That and I also noticed many apps had to be paid for where as on Android they are free.

But other than those 2 things for me, iPhone 4s was a great phone. The camera simply cant be beat.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I dug out the provided ear buds and plugged in. I was shocked at how tinny the audio was. I'm a musician, and pretty much all tones below C3 were missing. It was overly bright, and almost painful to listen to. I quickly unplugged the ear buds to see how it sounded through the speaker and it was dreadful. Hhhmmm, big disappointment.

OP is first person I ever saw on any forums who claims audio on headphone is tiny.
actually its too loud compare to speakers so have to lower the volume while listening music thru headphones.
he's in high tech career and a musican? , yearh right.

gsmarena_a001.png

it doesnt seem like c3 (about 130hz) is missing at all.
musician high tech guy.. do some run audio analyze tests and come back and show us how poor audio quality is.. you can do simple test with programs like RMAA, trueRTA, spectraPllus etc..
his post doesnt seem like from a high tech career nor musician.

Reactions: booboolala2000

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Good god, what are you talking about? "essentially impossible"? I didn't even have that problem the first time I picked up and started using the phone. Just because you have a hard time pressing the power button without also pressing the volume button because of the way you hold the phone doesn't mean that that pressing one button without pressing the other is "essentially impossible". Not everyone has the same grip.

Agree with you about the power and volume buttons. I think for alot of things... if we compare it to something else we might see some things differently.

Compared to my RAZR, I find it easier and it feels better dealing with the volume buttons on the G Nex. The power and volume buttons are set at a good spot compared to my RAZR. I have a Rezound now...and both the power and volume buttons are set too flush on the Rezound IMO.

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
1. For the "not being able to shut off without toggling the volume" issue...it's just something you will need to get used to. A couple months from now, people's habits will have adjusted to where this is barely happening anymore.

2. The Android "always feeling like it's in beta" issue...it's because Android is ahead of the curve. Android is always developing and expanding. Also, Android is being applied to HOW many devices that need to be tailored for each one? If I were to bet, I would say that by the end of the year, if you were to run the stock Android 4.0.x that Google has officially released to the device, the Nexus will probably be one of the smoothest running polished devices on the market. The only limitations I had with Gingerbread on my OG Droid was the hardware requirements in order to run it smoothly. That's what people with the Droid X's are not complaining about their performance.

3. There will always be updates in the works to make the Nexus better, whether it be the audio quality of the speaker or updates to the radios to make your 3G connections faster. With Apple, you pretty much get one update per year.

Reactions: jroc

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I dug out the provided ear buds and plugged in. I was shocked at how tinny the audio was.

The op post is totally BS. A musician using the supplied headphones. Most people never use the provided headphones. We all know the provided headphones are sub par. If the op said he tried is own decent quality headphones and had an issue, then I might have respected the post.

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
for me it ultimately came down to the audio quality issues. And these don't seem to be universal to the device, but they were common to both of the units I had.
The audio quality is a problem for the GNex across the board. The only thing that varies is how much it bothers the user. Some people don't have sensitive ears and are just plain tone deaf. They don't notice the audio quality issues and that is why they say my phone sounds just fine.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
You do know that Nexus is a beta product right? You get the newest all the time. Go back to iOS already

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
There doesn't yet seem to be that "perfect device" in the Android universe, but the iPhone just seems too dumbed down coming back from an Android phone. If we could take the camera and sound quality of the iPhone, the radio of a Motorola, the build quality of a Nokia, and plug it into the GNex, I'm pretty sure that'd be it.
True but the problem is that too many lower quality hardware android phones come out one after another. The manufactuers' business model is not to build a high hardware quality phone - it is to get you to buy a new phone every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174