Galaxy Nexus: Confirmation of SD card slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
In my case I fly a lot. I like to listen to MY music during flight. I may be in the clouds but if my music is also there I can't get to it, it needs to be on an SD. I have managed to reduce my music to the most listened to stuff and that brought it down to about 30 gigs. I have over 1000 CD's and another 1000 vinyls and I like ripping at at least 192 and mostly 256 so my music takes a lot of space. With the 32gig card I can swap in and out as I like. That's critical for me but it may not be for someone else. If I didn't fly so much I probably wouldn't care about relying on cloud based storage.

Then why not double your storage ?

SanDisk 64GB Micro SDXC cards working on multiple Android devices | Android Community

descendency

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
engadget has picture of the back removed and unless the slot is under the battery, there is no slot for a microSD card of any kind.

The spot at the top is a SIM/LTE card spot.

dylanear

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Having access to the cloud is great, NEEDING the cloud sucks. If you feel like paying for bandwidth and putting up with times of unavailability to access media you've already paid for be my guest. Perhaps if the unlimited data plan wasn't an endangered species. Hitting my data cap to get to the voluminous data I used to have on super convenient, exchangeable little chips is going to dampen my lust for that gorgeous screen for sure.

Say it ain't so Samsung/Google! Tell us it'll have a SDXD slot for 96GB+ on this new wonder phone!! But I fear they want the same control over the files on your phone as Apple does. Why was a SD slot dropped from the Nexus S?? Had to be deliberate.

And no swappable battery on the new Razr?? YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!!

How long until ICS on that screen from another vendor (HTC?) or non Nexus Samsung varient with a slot?? And dual LTE/GSM world phone compatibility While I'm wishing....

Last edited:

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Can you say CLOUD? Why do you need more than 32GB?
Katherine

2 reasons...
1st, I've got about 140 gigs of ripped music from my old cd's. It would cost $300/ year to store that on the iCloud. I'm set up so that I can access eveything on my home computer's hd from my phone , laptop and work computer (simple, so I can't see a reason why Anyone wiht a computer would pay for iCloud space), but there's also #2:

2nd, I'm not always in range of a tower, and/or am away from electrical outlets for days at a time. When I'm in a backcountry cabin after a long day of hiking or skiing, it's nice to have music along. no telling what I or whomever I'm with will want to listen to, so it's nice to keep a ton of music on my phone. I've got about 20GB now, and it's not nearly enough. Also, the battery lasts a whole lot longer with the radio turned off. Someone said the other day that streaming is spotty while they're commuting to work on the train, so this can be an issue even in the city.

So, while some won't use it, it's an important feature for many.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
It would be kind of crappy if the Verizon version got the 16GB version. They've done 16GBs for a lot of their phones so I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is what us verizon users get. Then again, I have never thought of needing more than 16GB. Only about half of it is used so...I'm okay either way. I'm more concerned about the possible thickness increase of the Verizon LTE version since they talked about the thickness of HSPA+ version only.

ccjjr59

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone looked under the battery for a microsd slot? Engadget took a picture with the battery still in and there was only the SIM slot. Seemed like the translation of the DoCoMo ad did say microSD in some form.

Linked from the AC post: Google Translate

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
No sd card = big loss. Why are people trying to justify this - isn't this exactly what we complained about in iPhones.

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
No sd card = big loss. Why are people trying to justify this - isn't this exactly what we complained about in iPhones.

I agree. No SD card slot is a big loss here. Unless you want to run Vanilla forever on your phone, i would consider another deivce. ICS looks great but this is the android version of the iphone.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android so can someone help me out with why an SD Card slot to the average person is so important?
(serious question)

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android so can someone help me out with why an SD Card slot to the average person is so important?
(serious question)

I think the biggest advantage to SD card is when rooting and Customizing your phone. Most times when installing what is called a Custom ROM one is required to wipe all data from the device. This means that you have to rely on a SD card to run all your modifications by placing all the files on it and placing your back ups on the card if something goes wrong.

trev186

May 29, 2011
Visit site
(serious question)

Menas u can upgrade memory. I have a 64 GB SDXC card and would like to use it.

In the future bigger SD cards will come out and then u can upgrade to 128 256 512 or even 2 TBs without buying a new phone if there is an SD slot

Phonearena mentions there is a SD slot so we may have conflicting reports ....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

iiiHuman

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
(serious question)

Actually, there are various reasons why an SD Card slot may or may not be more or less important to different people.

As someone else pointed out early on, that person makes a 2-hour commute by train to work and back every day. The extra space for them is great for movies rather than having to put up with higher battery usage or lack of connection quality when quickly passing different connection towers. Others may use it for testing or backup purposes. Many different people have many different reasons. Some of those reasons may be more common to a larger mass of users while other reasons may only pertain to a smaller group of individuals.

For me, I personally use my phone in many different ways and use many different types of apps on my phone. I use my phone is so many different ways where I need many different types of apps that I run into problems with my current internal storage limit of 16GB even though I still have plenty of room on my external SD Card.

Reasons for this is because not all apps are able to be installed to the SD Card. Some, just by choice of the app's creator(s). Some, because they need to run from internal storage for performance, security, and/or other various reasons. A lot of included bloatware apps also tend to run on internal storage only. And, for those apps that do install to the SD Card, they still partially use internal storage for other various reasons such as operating-system settings and configurations etc.

There are also some larger apps that are usually standard installs for a lot of people that can be huge internal storage hogs. Adobe Flash and Acrobat are a couple of examples. The Facebook app for Android also currently will still only take up internal storage and it takes up a ton of it. When available, I have had to look for alternatives to certain apps that can install some of their components to an external SD Card. However, alternatives are not always there or do not live up to my needs.

Several examples of some of the apps taking up large amounts of internal storage:

The Facebook app currently takes 11.09MB of internal storage.
The built-in Google Maps takes 10.81MB of internal storage.
The built-in Android Market app takes up 7.98MB of internal storage.

I do not currently have the Adobe apps installed at this time so I can't tell you offhand what those were taking up. But, it was a lot. I even had the Qik video camera app installed for awhile and (at the time at least, since I do not know if any of it has changed) and it only ran off of internal storage.

Keeping all of that in mind, when my phone hits only 10% free space left, my phone starts performing really bad. A lot of this is due to internal caching of apps also taking up space and the need for there to be a certain amount of space free on internal storage. So, you have to also allocate for that. Also keep in mind that a chunk of the internal storage is already allocated for and used by the operating system itself.

So, a phone with internal storage amount of 32GB is not only very welcome but also somewhat needed. But, only as long as I can still store what I can to an external SD Card.

All of that said, AndroidCommunity.com has released some pictures of the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the back panel off of it during a side-by-side comparison with an older Samsung phone. A couple of the pictures clearly show the slot for an SD Card.

galaxy-nexus-hands-on-10-AndroidCommunity.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is on the left with the SD Card just to the right of the rear camera as you are facing it.

~ iiiHuman ~

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If it has one, it seems that it would be under the battery.

Honestly, the use for one seems to be dying in my mind. I really only used it for flashing ROMs and such. A pretty large amount of what takes up my 16GB card is backups and some videos that Ive been needing to offload anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.