Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Black Screen, wont turn on, no activity, no charging icon

A

AC Question

My Note Pro 12.2 wont power on, make any noise, vibrate, or even display a charging icon. I've replaced the battery due to having a spare on hand, but same problem still persists. Less then half a year old with a small amount of usage. I'm still able to take it back and exchange/refund it if need be, but I would like to avoid that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could be a problem with the charging port or the Power button, so those are worth checking as well--but that would require a repair shop, which may make it difficult for you to get an exchange or refund afterwards.

SailingMagnus

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Same exact problem here, 7 month old VERY lightly used GNP 12.2. Researched problem and first bought the USB digital volt/amp meter. Tried several OEM chargers and noticed correct voltages/currents to my other devices but voltmeter would blackout when connected to GNP 12.2. Ah I thought ok this is the broken USB charger port mentioned several times here. For $13 bought a new USB charger port which is identical to the original one in every way and installed into GNP. Now get no problems with volt/amp meter display when cable connected to GNP but also no amps flowing into the GNP so I know it's not charging. This is leading me to think cracked battery connector. I'm VERY handy with soldering iron but would love it if someone has a picture of where the connector/solder joint cracks? Using a digital volt meter I measure 4.2V on the backside of the battery connector on the MB between the black and red wires. I see blue wires as well which I suspect are for temperature monitoring. Using a magnifying glass I don't see any broken solder joints.

Also several mentions of possible bad power button but I don't see anybody on Amazon selling the power button. Would welcome a link to the power button replacement if anyone has one. BUT U I don't see how that could be related as I use to get a green battery charging icon on the screen when the tablet was being charged. No nothing, nada, no beep, vibrate, icon, like it's not taking a charge. I could go for a battery replacement but I need more supporting info B4 dropping another $30 on try this approach.

Magnus

SailingMagnus

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Just wanted to close the loop on my experience with this problem for the possible benefit of others. So I got out my magnifying jeweler glasses and soldering pencil expecting to flow some solder. After inspecting the battery connector I could not find any obvious flaws in the battery side connector. I then looked at the motherboard side thinking to heat up the solder connection and flow some more solder in there. Again nothing obviously wrong but admittedly when it comes to micro-cracks they can be so small that even under 10X magnification you may not see them. My soldering pencil has a chisel chip rather than a pencil tip and I was hesitant to start applying heat without seeing something specific to bridge/fix/flow. I had tried to get Samsung to repair under warranty since mine is only six months old and they initially rejected my proof of purchase for not having the IMEI number on the receipt. I got a new receipt and am still fighting them so rather than make things worse IF I was going to get a repair I put the unit back together. Much to my surprise now when I plug in a USB charge cable the unit is charging and boots/runs fine. IF it's truely a micro-crack problem I'm sure my power problem will return but for now I'm back up and running for now....

New question though related to this problem, I'm curious what was the history of the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tab with regards to this problem and selling them? I recall seeing these for sale throughout 2014 and I thought the price was high. In 2015 the prices seemed to come down but nobody had them in stock. I finally bought mine in December 2015 and by July 2016 the unit was dead. My question is did Samsung realize by the end of 2014 they had problems with these units and stop making/selling/distributing them and then in 2015 start making them again or did the prices come down because they were closeout prices as the model was discontinued? A month or two after buying mine I saw Samsung introduced 18" version of this tablet, which I thought was the successor so it makes sense they closed out/discontinued the 12.2's

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Trust me, you won't be able to see hairline cracks with 10x magnification. The only way I can test is pushing the battery connector slightly by a screw driver, one side against the shield next to battery connector while gently push it to the left; if it's moving slightly I know it needs to be resoldered.
Any way, this battery connector needs to be resoldered as sooner or later, it will crack. I see someone had a new mainboard installed when sending for repair, but few months later the tablet had to send back with the same problem of cracked battery connector.

Even close up like this, you don't see any cracks

Cracked Battery Connector.jpg
The magic many people fix the problem by disconnect and reconnect battery but most don't understand why.
Look at these pictures you can see why:

Wed Jul 29 13-08-45 (2).jpg

This one, pins sit in the middle of the cable tip, this case there is no contact. This tablet will have the same problem even though the connector already be resoldered.
Bad Contact.jpg

This one, there is good contact between cables and pins of battery connector. This case may be why your tablet is working again.

Good Contac.jpg

This one is an example how a repair center fix the problem: solder cables directly to battery connector and re solder this connector

Cables Soldered.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe