Galaxy S II or Photon

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
My company is pushing us away from our blackberry's and now I"m searching for my next phone. Since I have hit 3000 "anytime" minutes a month, Sprint's everything plan is the way I have to go.

SO....

I'm going back and forth with which phone to go with...Either the Photon or the Galaxy S II. I have a friend with the Photon and after the updates it seems like a great phone. Anyone know from reviews you've watched ect. the pro's or cons of each phone?

Will the Galaxy S II have the officequick application like the Photon? I saw that the Galaxy S II doesn't have an HDMI port but has an adapter. The Photon has the security levels that are required by my company...I'm guessing the Galaxy S II will also have the same security capabilities. Any news on this?

Thanks in advnace for your help.

SlippingBack

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Both awesome phones. Samsung has a much better display, is lighter and thinner, and has the better processor. Photon doesnt need HDMI adapter and can work with the laptop-like dock they offer. There are apps that you will be able to use for office on the GS2. The Samsung has Kies air which is really awesome, its basically a wireless way to manage the phone contents through a secure web page. Motorola has some pretty nice software as well, but I believe you need the dock to take advantage of it.

I'd go with the GS2 but they are both great, I don't think you can go wrong.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Also if u travel photon uses gsm sim carrds as well. Photon is a bussiness phone while sgs2 is more multimedia.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For work I would say the Photon, the security features are better then the S2, such as the remote wiping feature. And as mentioned the call quality is the best I have ever had with a cell phone. No issues since the update 2 weeks ago. The screen on the Photon is really good. Granted the S2 is better.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If your work takes you outside of the country the Photon with its global GSM sim capabilities is the way to go. Other than that I'd say both are excellent devices, don't think you can go wrong either way. I currently own a Photon but I'm switching to the Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4g for the Amoled Plus Screen. My friends tell me I'm insane but as a graphic designer and a photographer I notice the pentile matrix on the Photon's screen and it drives me batty. They don't notice it, but I do. As mentioned before call quality on my Photon has been outstanding, fantastic battery life, really the entire experience has been great. The only reason I'm switching is just the screen which may or may not be an issue for you.

As always best advice would be to go check the two out in the sprint store and see which one you think will work best for you.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if your eyes can tolerate the PenTile screen, the Photon is likely the superior phone for business, and it's no slouch for media either.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If your work takes you outside of the country the Photon with its global GSM sim capabilities is the way to go. Other than that I'd say both are excellent devices, don't think you can go wrong either way. I currently own a Photon but I'm switching to the Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4g for the Amoled Plus Screen. My friends tell me I'm insane but as a graphic designer and a photographer I notice the pentile matrix on the Photon's screen and it drives me batty. They don't notice it, but I do. As mentioned before call quality on my Photon has been outstanding, fantastic battery life, really the entire experience has been great. The only reason I'm switching is just the screen which may or may not be an issue for you.

As always best advice would be to go check the two out in the sprint store and see which one you think will work best for you.

I might exchange it for the Epic 4g Touch for the screen too. The pentile screen door effect I can live with. I just can't stand the overly red tint and black crush effect. I am pretty Motorola can solve it with a software update but I don't think they see it as a problem.

Besides the screen/display I absolutely love the phone.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this in there but the Sprint Galaxy S2 version does have hardware and software level encryption for enterprise use it just isn't a global phone like the photon.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I do not travel globally so the global capabilities of the photon aren't that big of a deal. I will definitely look at both but after reading other reviews and your comments, I think the Photon will be the best out of the two. I have played with the photon and the screen quality doesn't bother me...although the anti glare scratch resistant cover drives my eyes batty.

I do have to have good call quality and reception though. I support hospitals and cannot be out of touch much.

Thanks again for the help.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Both awesome phones. Samsung has a much better display, is lighter and thinner, and has the better processor. Photon doesnt need HDMI adapter and can work with the laptop-like dock they offer. There are apps that you will be able to use for office on the GS2. The Samsung has Kies air which is really awesome, its basically a wireless way to manage the phone contents through a secure web page. Motorola has some pretty nice software as well, but I believe you need the dock to take advantage of it.

I'd go with the GS2 but they are both great, I don't think you can go wrong.

The photon also has a way to wirelessly manage the phones contents through a secure web page called phone portal. And the wireless radio is also the best I have ever had on a sprint phone. With any other phone I barely got 1 bar in the house, now its a constant 4-5 which is nice. If you use your phone to actually make calls then definitely get the photon and also if you want a quality built phone, but if you want a bigger screen with super amoled+ and don't care about the other things then get the SGSIIE4GT...dam, that name is long even with just the first letters lol.

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My experiences regarding the Photon are completely different than many of yours. I have several co-workers that are eagerly looking for a switch from the phone because of call quality issues. I'm not saying the E4GT will be any better, obviously nobody knows the answer to that question yet, but saying that the Photon is better sounds like an uneducated stretch at this point.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Even if you do travel globally, I do about 20% of my time, get a cheap Nokia dumb phone and the E4GT. I don't use data when travelling other than wifi at the hotel... Which you can connect to anyway.

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
The photon also has a way to wirelessly manage the phones contents through a secure web page called phone portal. And the wireless radio is also the best I have ever had on a sprint phone. With any other phone I barely got 1 bar in the house, now its a constant 4-5 which is nice. If you use your phone to actually make calls then definitely get the photon and also if you want a quality built phone, but if you want a bigger screen with super amoled+ and don't care about the other things then get the SGSIIE4GT...dam, that name is long even with just the first letters lol.

Many of the reviewers have touted the good call sound quality. Also, remember that the SGSIIE4GT has Kies Air which is the exact same thing as the Photon has to wirelessly manage the phones through your computer's browser.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
My experiences regarding the Photon are completely different than many of yours. I have several co-workers that are eagerly looking for a switch from the phone because of call quality issues. I'm not saying the E4GT will be any better, obviously nobody knows the answer to that question yet, but saying that the Photon is better sounds like an uneducated stretch at this point.

Have they got the software update? I read the reviews before and after the update and with the update its a great phone. I bought mine and it updated at activation so i did not get to try it before.

------------------------------------------
Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

Ninjak

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the Photon, not bad at all. But remeber that the E4T will SSP protocols built in. That is the reason I will get it. The apps that can be build will be interesting for this phone...

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Its really no contest to me.. I know what I see, and I see alot of photons coming back to my repair bench at the store. Constant software issues, and glitches. Im not convinced moto can make a phone I can stand for more than a day or so. The gs2 is on another league imo, and it runs so much smoother than any android to date by far.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait for the real reviews from people who spent there own money for the phone and aren't being paid to review them. I've had my photon for about 4 days now and its easily the best phone I've ever owned to date. Now if the REAL reviews from the people come back and its like OMGWTFBBQSAUCE you have to get this phone then i'd probably swap it out lol. Theres a big difference when someone sends you a phone in the mail for free and when you spend $400-$600 for it.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Photon will give better reception but the Samsung has better business oriented apps and the calendar is much better on the sammy as well.

I'm going Sammy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick