Galaxy S20+ Screen Burn or Image Retention?

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I don't think it's anything you've done wrong! Sometimes these things just happen. Maybe there waw a defect in your screen when you bought your device. But, it is curious that it disappears after a while. Normally, burn-in wouldn't disappear like that.

Understood. Thank you all so far. Though I've looked at the warranty claim through Samsung ive got no other device to fall back on for one, I'm not sure how long I'd be without one for two, and what if they deem it a non issue or dont notice it at all since I dont believe it would be that noticeable to just anyone without my level of obsessiveness for three?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the cool thing about iPhones. If you are in warranty and you go to an Apple store, going by experience, they've been able to replace my phone with a refurb (and I was traveling on business when it happened once), give me a loaner while they had my phone for repair another time. Of course it's because of the number of stores they have that they can do it but still support second to none.

Actually @CowboyCombat8557... Have you contacted a UBREAKIFIX in your area?? That is one positive that they Samsung uses them as an authorized center for warranty support. Contact one and if they can do it under warranty, if they don't have the part in stock, they can order the part, call you when it's in and make an appointment to have them replace the screen that day... worse case you go shopping for a few hours and come back.

That was one concern with going Android but fortunately didn't have any warranty issues.

That's a good idea. I guess carriers don't give out loaner phones anymore, like they used to? Those were the days!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's the cool thing about iPhones. If you are in warranty and you go to an Apple store, going by experience, they've been able to replace my phone with a refurb (and I was traveling on business when it happened once), give me a loaner while they had my phone for repair another time. Of course it's because of the number of stores they have that they can do it but still support second to none.

Actually @CowboyCombat8557... Have you contacted a UBREAKIFIX in your area?? That is one positive that they Samsung uses them as an authorized center for warranty support. Contact one and if they can do it under warranty, if they don't have the part in stock, they can order the part, call you when it's in and make an appointment to have them replace the screen that day... worse case you go shopping for a few hours and come back.

That was one concern with going Android but fortunately didn't have any warranty issues.

You know, I've steered clear of Apple for years, but I've heard *very* good things about their customer service. My father-in-law broke his Apple watch and they just sent him a new one. Definitely one of the perks of going with Apple.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
So I went to a few carrier stores and they're devices produced the same effect which leads me to believe it's across all S20's but why? Has anyone else noticed this. Test it out for yourselves and send photos please. Just trying to end this. Thanks in advance.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Carrier stores all have their phones in demo type mode meaning they are running full bright 100% of the time all day.. and possibly night.

I remember when the S8 were out on display and previous gens... demo units started getting screen burn in within a month on display. The newer screens I noticed you go to Best Buy I haven't seen it exhibited as much.

Personally, and I really have no data to back it up... I think if you run a phone out of box at full bright... the screen could be more have a greater chance to show retention and accelerate wear over a longer period of time. From what I read, a new OLED (and the closest info is from Home TV with OLED) with retention usually go away and they say don't worry. But I saw one site also give tips like run the OLED for 100 hours at default levels... make sure the TV is in HOME mode and not STORE mode... guessing STORE mode is again pushing full bright and punching all the colors to get max drama at the display areas but probably causing premature wear.

Personally, I run my phones at a comfortable brightness level (about 50%) and put some hours through the screen until currently I have it to automatically adjust which means in Florida when I go outside it goes OVER 100% and almost three years old I have not a hint of rentention or any burn on my screen.

Like I said above, AV sites I checked said if you have retention on new OLED you should see if go away over time so probably wouldn't worry and just enjoy. If you do end up going the route where you replace the screen or phone, my suggestion... break the screen in by running it at a lower brightness and see if you see rentention like you use to do. If not, just for peace of mind, run it a few weeks like that then if you are really wanting full bright, then go for it.

Good luck.

So I went to a few carrier stores and they're devices produced the same effect which leads me to believe it's across all S20's but why? Has anyone else noticed this. Test it out for yourselves and send photos please. Just trying to end this. Thanks in advance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eninentola