Galaxy S4 Auto focus camera problems

zerge man

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
So my Galaxy s4, the stock camera app wont auto focus. I have tried to download another camera app and that didn't help. I have cleared the cache for the app itself and I have put my phone into recovery mode and cleared the cache there. Anyone know what is up with this thing? It ticks me off.

Kernel version
3.4.0-2048698

Android version

Can anyone help me figure out the problem here? And how to fix it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What happens when you tap on an area when taking a picture? Does the box show up? Anything of that nature?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So my Galaxy s4, the stock camera app wont auto focus. I have tried to download another camera app and that didn't help. I have cleared the cache for the app itself and I have put my phone into recovery mode and cleared the cache there. Anyone know what is up with this thing? It ticks me off.

Kernel version
3.4.0-2048698

Android version

When it doubt. Factory reset. If that doesn't work, warranty.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Kernel version
3.4.0-2048698

Android version

Wish I could help, I feel I've been experiencing trouble with the camera focus since updating to KitKat especially when using timer mode.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Us Canadians in the great white North haven't got the KitKat upgrade yet, at least officially :) So not much I can offer for assistance.
But I will say this. We may have to wait longer, but we get a solid upgrade with little to no issues, where I notice providers in the USA
rush and there always ends up being massive problems

geotweetmcneil

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue, only got the phone yesterday, 2 factory resets, cleared cache nothing. Whats happening is when i select the camera app, on the screen is perfect picture for 1 second then goes blurry, taking it to samsung warranty centre so i will update.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, only got the phone yesterday, 2 factory resets, cleared cache nothing. Whats happening is when i select the camera app, on the screen is perfect picture for 1 second then goes blurry, taking it to samsung warranty centre so i will update.

My problem is happening when I use the rear facing camera, with flash and timer. When I hit the button to take a picture the camera will first flash then start counting down to take the picture afterwards the picture is super dark, almost completely black.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Kernel version
3.4.0-2048698

Android version

Have you tried Settings >> Metering Mode >> Matrix ?

bgbdsuisue

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Sanjay is right. Had same problem. open camera app, menu/settings/metering mode/matrix . Thanks Sanjay, that was driving me nuts. Supposed to be one of the best cameras on a phone, i was really disapointed.

Kishan Kudia

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Kernel version
3.4.0-2048698

Android version

Even I'm facing d same problem some one please help

trishaloha

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried Settings >> Metering Mode >> Matrix ?

Thank you ever so much, both for the original question here & this perfect solution.

I've struggled with this same focusing issue for too long now--I also have a Benign Essential Tremor which makes taking any picture enough of a struggle without issues such as this. I've tried other settings, and I've contacted support, to no avail--was actually reduced to tears earlier trying to take some important pics, yet the camera kept going in & out of focus as usual; it shouldn't be that difficult to take a decent, properly focused photo.

Thank you again, so very much--I've re-taken those pics now, and they look fantastic even with my tremor! Very happy:)

Sincerely, Trish

grebsmith

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Almost sorry to report this: after trying what you good people have suggested (for the same auto focus problem) to no avail, I let the farmer in me have a shot. I tapped the phone against a piece of soft pine, in this case on the sides of the phone, and it came right back into focus. Hope it helps someone, I doubt it is a long term fix and probably will replace the camera module.