Galaxy S4 battery drainage issues (despite new battery), how can I fix them?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S4 battery drainage issues (despite new battery)

Afternoon all,

I'm after some advice with regards my Samsung Galaxy S4 and battery drainage. I restored the phone to factory settings back in January as it was getting a bit clogged up and in the past month fitted a replacement Anker battery as the old one was dying quickly. However, I've realised it may not just be the poor battery. Below is a list of the phone's exact spec along with the actions I've taken so far hoping someone will have an answer to my issues.

Model: GTI9505
Android: 5.0.1
Network: T-Mobile
Purchased: July 2014
Storage: 2.81GB internal available (32GB micro SD installed with ALL media on)

Actions taken so far to increase battery life:
- restored to factory settings
- uninstalled Facebook app
- installed only necessary apps
- installed 'GO Power Master' battery monitoring software
- mobile data / wifi only on for short periods
- all smart features turned off (S-beam etc)
- developer options enabled with 'at most 1 process' and 'Do not keep activities' selected
- display brightness on lowest whilst inside, 'Auto' whilst outside
- vibrate mode turned off to 'silent'

Despite all this, I'm often getting 'So and so not responding' messages, the phone freezes at times, text messages not only take an age to send, but also often bounce back. And the most annoying thing is that the keyboard often buggers up and despite typing, doesn't produce any characters (happens on all apps where it is used).

I've searched the internet far and wide for suggestions and everything that I try just doesn't work. I can unplug my phone after its overnight charge, turn it to 'Flight' and get to work to find it's dropped by at least 5%...

Anyone able to suggest anything?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 battery drainage issues (despite new battery)

Welcome to Android Central! Do those problems persist in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11724. If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Also, try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744

Seeing your battery stats may also be helpful. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

JackBowley

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Thank you very much B. Diddy! For now, I've wiped the cache partition to see how I go. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and if there's no change, I'll start Friday in safe mode. Should tomorrow be 'as usual', I'll show you the battery graph as listed.

I shall report back tomorrow!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

How many hours are you getting out of a battery charge?

GPS and apps that use gps will stay running after you leave them and drain a battery fast. Hold down the HOME key and click CLOSE ALL at the bottom of the screen. This should stop all running apps.

Do a search for BATTERY in this forum and you will find other suggestions to extend battery life!

JackBowley

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks extraclass. I have been doing that for a while - it certainly does help.

Pleased to report that by simply clearing the cache, it's all fixed! Used the phone quite heavily today and it's still got 35% left! Win!

Thanks B. Diddy for your help.