Galaxy S4: kitkat 4.4.2 is a horrible update

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
No problems after kitkat.. Phone is now perfect.. Great battery life and very smooth and quick... Finally.

Posted via Android Central App

As time has gone on and I've played with it more, I agree. No problems at all. My first impression of stability was well justified.

I find some things slightly better. I hated in 4.3 that when I clicked on an app I have in a group folder and then hit the home button, 4.3 would bring me to the home screen, but with the group folder still open. You have to tap again somewhere to close the folder and go on to do what you wanted. That's now gone in 4.4. Yay.

The only gripe is with the oft-mentioned issue of limited SD card access rights by 3rd party apps. This is something that needs complete rethinking. I just don't like the way they handled this. Why couldn't they address the security issues by having a pop up like Windows does: "this program would like to modify your xyz, is that ok?" It would be nice also to get to choose whether to keep the warnings on a moment-by-moment basis, block access entirely or allow access entirely. Voila. Everyone's happy.

But that's not a bug---it's, alas, a feature.

Last edited:

newtda513

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the s4, should I wait till all the issues are fixed with the 4.4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the s4, should I wait till all the issues are fixed with the 4.4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

I wouldn't worry that much about it. And if it's new to you, it will all seem normal with the SD cards. With the other stuff sometimes mentioned--on a fresh install, it should be easier. And if you don't like it, it's easy to take back. Plus, I'm not sure anyone can say for sure when the next update comes---or what it entails. You could be waiting a long time.

Sparkshaven

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
SIM card and ALL contacts, photos, calendar, everything that was saved on the phone gone when doing a factory reset. The update attacked the card I think and we lost everything, was told the reset would work and wouldn't affect anything on the Samsung website.

DONT DO THIS !!!

It might work for some but I wouldn't take the chance... There are so many different problems and it seems like each phone is reacting differently to this update!

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
SIM card and ALL contacts, photos, calendar, everything that was saved on the phone gone when doing a factory reset. The update attacked the card I think and we lost everything, was told the reset would work and wouldn't affect anything on the Samsung website.

DONT DO THIS !!!

It might work for some but I wouldn't take the chance... There are so many different problems and it seems like each phone is reacting differently to this update!

Umm.... Yeah. That's normally how it works. Did you back up your data first? If you back up your data first, typically via Kies, or any number of other cloud services that allow backing up contacts, etc, (I use One Media Hub) you wouldn't have lost them. Factory resets don't "attack" your phone or your card. It does exactly what it says it does, returns your phone to its state it came from from the factory - empty.

capT

pixielee22

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Im on sprint, s4 and hate the update.. Camera issues (doesn't focus anymore) signal issues, wifi issues

Blah

tonyd79

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
hi there i have a fix for all the problems on this forum remove your sd card till they release 4.4.3 they say it will be released when the galaxy s5 is released till then remove your sd card to stop the lag and things not working

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain about the My phone won't unlock/wake up now i have to restart every now and than on top of that my cell service sometimes it doesn't pick my cell tower no matter how many times I turn on and off my airplane mode. Samsung sucks when it comes to patches and updates they take forever to do anything. That's the only thing I really hate about Samsung.

Seriously I am so sad. I thought upgrading to 4.4.2 would fix many things for my s4 but it just got worse. I admit that the system is much more smoother now but it's far away from faster. My phone won't unlock/wake up now.. I can swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound but the screen would still not respond/stay black and there is nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. my keyboard is jamming; it happens often that I can't type anything, can't press anything and again, theres nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. I never experienced any of this before the update and it's making me upset because I feel like it's really damaging my only 5 months old s4. I never had to restart my device before and now I have to restart it at least twice a day.. Anyways, I absolutely do not recommend this update.. but for those who their phone seems to be fine, well. you are lucky.

:(

Edit: I'm not the only one!!

Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Galaxy S4: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Videotron / S4 / SGH-M919V

Crystal Demetro

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Seriously I am so sad. I thought upgrading to 4.4.2 would fix many things for my s4 but it just got worse. I admit that the system is much more smoother now but it's far away from faster. My phone won't unlock/wake up now.. I can swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound but the screen would still not respond/stay black and there is nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. my keyboard is jamming; it happens often that I can't type anything, can't press anything and again, theres nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. I never experienced any of this before the update and it's making me upset because I feel like it's really damaging my only 5 months old s4. I never had to restart my device before and now I have to restart it at least twice a day.. Anyways, I absolutely do not recommend this update.. but for those who their phone seems to be fine, well. you are lucky.

:(

Edit: I'm not the only one!!

Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Galaxy S4: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Videotron / S4 / SGH-M919V

I hate the new update I really wish I read this before I updated my phone I am so sorry I did it

Bruce Bolduc

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Umm.... Yeah. That's normally how it works. Did you back up your data first? If you back up your data first, typically via Kies, or any number of other cloud services that allow backing up contacts, etc, (I use One Media Hub) you wouldn't have lost them. Factory resets don't "attack" your phone or your card. It does exactly what it says it does, returns your phone to its state it came from from the factory - empty.

capT

Bruce Bolduc

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

capT

Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. Yes, you need to back up your phone, which I did. But AFTER kit Kat update your previous settings will not go back to the way they were because they can't. Except for crappy stock apps, the other apps can no longer access the card as they did, making them worthless. I don't know why this doesn't bother you more. Apps we paid for now are basically worthless. How is that good? How is google deciding what we can and can't put on our device acceptable? If we want to use an app that might be low security, then that should be our decision. I'm glad you think all is well,, but there are those of us who don't want to compromise.

manwiththehand

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm running factory 4.4.2 on att. I was having card issues... So i reformatted my card (after backing it up via usb) and did a factory reset. All card functions are restored now! All write functions are allowed, and I can move apps to SD storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick