Galaxy S4: kitkat 4.4.2 is a horrible update

Bob C Primus

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well this update to KitKat 4.4.2 has completely screwed my brand new galaxy S4 i9505! Terrible update, I cannot believe what it has done to my phone.
All connectivity has ceased, cannot connect with any network, battery power usage has drastically increased, recharging time is awful with less than 80% charge to a dead battery in over10 + hours charging time!
My wife's S4 i9505 on Jellybean 4.3 is working perfectly as usual!

The phone worked perfectly out of the box as of Monday 14th April on Jellybean 4.2, everything worked perfectly, network connectivity seamlessly connected within a few seconds, battery life was fine and charged up with-in a couple of hours on the phones standard charger.

This is not acceptable at all, I will not be updateing the wife's phone to this utter rubbish and very bugged KitKat 4.4.2 update.

Android you have left me with a non-working phone, this is costing me money and work productivity! :mad:

Avoid it at all costs!

Mark Stockli

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
After the kit kat update my Note 3 is worthless. My battery drains very fast. My contacts disappear regularly. My SD card doesn't work. My phone won't connect automatically to wifi anymore. It drops calls constantly. It freezes up... the list goes on... I have done two factory resets and cache' it was pointless. I can no longer use phone screen sharing with my Samsung laptop. My kies disappeared from my phone and doesn't shoe in the play store or samsung app store. Samsucks refused to admit fault saying they had NO complaints from anyone. I find that very hard to believe.
STAY CLEAR OF KIT KAT!!!

kitty heaton

May 3, 2014
Visit site
This update sucks. Had to reconfigure all my email addresses. The white for all the notifications sucks especially hard to see how much battery life is left with the white and gray. Default settings were erased and couldn't send our receive messages until I set my defaults back up. Since the update my phone seems to stay in 3g with much wise signal then before. Anyone know how to remove the camera off the lock screen? Extremely unhappy with this update. My phone was working perfectly fine before it and I'm encountering problem after problem and was told can't go back to the older version. Samsung you need to fix this!

May 3, 2014
Visit site
This update sucks. Had to reconfigure all my email addresses. The white for all the notifications sucks especially hard to see how much battery life is left with the white and gray. Default settings were erased and couldn't send our receive messages until I set my defaults back up. Since the update my phone seems to stay in 3g with much wise signal then before. Anyone know how to remove the camera off the lock screen? Extremely unhappy with this update. My phone was working perfectly fine before it and I'm encountering problem after problem and was told can't go back to the older version. Samsung you need to fix this!

I agree I hate this update. First off, Lookout now drains my battery and overheats my phone so I had to disable that. You can't hide programs like your once could without it messing up certain programs. Also, many programs (tmz is an example but not the only one) crashed and takes at least 5 tries to open. Half my programs won't work. It is terrible. Shame on them for putting this out in the state it is in. I have a g4.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Looks like Qualcomm variant update messed up the phone.

I am actually get awesome battery life and very nice performance from this update (Octa Core Exynos)
4.3 was a battery hog imo and also very bad update in terms of overall experience compared to 4.2.x and 4.4 brought back life.

I love lockscreen music controls , much more handy.

For those who want to hide apps :
Create a folder "unused apps" and dump everything into that folder , It will be fine.

13KimmiK13

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Seriously I am so sad. I thought upgrading to 4.4.2 would fix many things for my s4 but it just got worse. I admit that the system is much more smoother now but it's far away from faster. My phone won't unlock/wake up now.. I can swipe on the black screen and it would make the unlock sound but the screen would still not respond/stay black and there is nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. my keyboard is jamming; it happens often that I can't type anything, can't press anything and again, theres nothing to do unless I pull out the battery. I never experienced any of this before the update and it's making me upset because I feel like it's really damaging my only 5 months old s4. I never had to restart my device before and now I have to restart it at least twice a day.. Anyways, I absolutely do not recommend this update.. but for those who their phone seems to be fine, well. you are lucky.

:(

Edit: I'm not the only one!!

Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Galaxy S4: I Think I'm Beginning to Despise This Phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Videotron / S4 / SGH-M919V
Posted via Android Central App

Agreed I have the same issue with my screen and my battery life also sucks now...I used to be able to go all day with my usage and now I need to charge halfway through the day!!! :-(

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My phone seems fine. The only issue I see is sometimes the screen takes a second to come on after I click the home or power button. But other than that, my battery life is fine and it's a tad faster than before.

Nova sometimes freezes but that's Nova's problem

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
My phone seems fine. The only issue I see is sometimes the screen takes a second to come on after I click the home or power button. But other than that, my battery life is fine and it's a tad faster than before.

Nova sometimes freezes but that's Nova's problem

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I am assuming that your lockscreen has your name displayed ?

Try to use "clock" instead of "personal message" on lockscreen and try to unlock the device now.
If its feels quick and normal , change it back to "personal message"

anon(605125)

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Utter krap. Had to hard reset after the original kit kat install. Then after the recent small update the phone drops it's mobile network connection after a period of time. A phone that no longer receives texts/calls until restarted is a piece of krap. And no AT&T "support", I do not want someone else's used refurbished krap phone just to experience the same problems. I really don't know what to do as there is only a week left on the manufacturer's(that's you Samsung) warranty.
Really wish Google/Samsung/AT&T would get their KRAP together. Kit kat is krap, and along the same lines Kies is krap.
Krap is all I really have to say about the S4 at this point.

SGH I337 32Gb on AT&T

Karlie Schaefer

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I am having a lot of the same issues with my s4 ever since I got the update a few days ago. My phone is always overheating now. I keep getting some weird "your phone is now cooling down" message. Many programs including NFL Mobile and Google Services "stop working" every 30 seconds. Yes, Google doesn't work on my phone most of the time. The keyboard is awful. Why on Earth would they have made it smaller?! And I can no longer hold down the period "." key to get a comma ","? Really annoying. On top of that my battery is draining quicker and my service is terrible. I wish I could reverse this update.

DP Kavanagh

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I so much want to delete this update and get my phone back as it is now a useless piece of modern technology.
Please Samsung email a cure / fix for this horrible update ?
Very P****d off !

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I so much want to delete this update and get my phone back as it is now a useless piece of modern technology.
Please Samsung email a cure / fix for this horrible update ?
Very P****d off !

The update is Google software.It is not always clear how things interact with hardware, but it is not likely Samsung alone can address all of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech