Galaxy S4: Phone keeps Shutting down for no Reason

PabiGamito

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My galaxy s4 (GT-i95050 keeps shutting down for no reason as if it doesn't have any battery left. It was rooted and I had downloaded a lot for 3rd part apps. At first I though that was the problem, but I wasn't. I unrooted my device, factory reset it and cleared all cash. I don't know what the problem is.

Could it be that my battery is broken? But I only have had the phone for a month.

Every time it shutdown there is a gap in the amount of battery left. When it shutdown and I plug it into the charger it shows as if there is no battery left and then after a couple of seconds show that amount of battery there was before shutdown.

Right before this started happening I have noticed my phone was heating up even when not doing anything.

24bp9v4.png

Last edited:

PabiGamito

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have found the problem. My battery is swollen. I have noticed the when it is in the phone it cures my screen a bit and when turned off, the refections I see on the screen are deformed. I will now need to either buy a new one or ask samsung for replacement.

Tam Babb

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
OMG YES MINE TOO!!

My phone is only 2 months old and within an hour or two of it being fully charged it shuts down. Constantly!! Then the battery's dead.

And it's getting super super hot!!

Posted via Android Central App

Hearts86

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue and I've only had the phone for 3 months. Battery was slightly swollen. Replaced it and phone is not switching itself at random times anymore. Had the problem with odd charge percentages as well and the phone was losing charge quite fast.

Samsung have officially acknowledged that there's a problem with some batteries getting swollen and that they will be replaced for free of charge.

PabiGamito

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue and I've only had the phone for 3 months. Battery was slightly swollen. Replaced it and phone is not switching itself at random times anymore. Had the problem with odd charge percentages as well and the phone was losing charge quite fast.

Samsung have officially acknowledged that there's a problem with some batteries getting swollen and that they will be replaced for free of charge.

To get it replaced free of charge what do we have to do? Who do we have to send it to? What address? Only the battery or with the phone to? Do I go to my mobile provider?
I am in France and bought the phone at Bouygues Telecome.

Thank you.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It happened to me a few weeks back. I got a free battery from Samsung.

You need your receipt and contact either the store where you got it from or Samsung directly.
I didnt send anything just emailed everything.

PabiGamito

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It happened to me a few weeks back. I got a free battery from Samsung.

You need your receipt and contact either the store where you got it from or Samsung directly.
I didnt send anything just emailed everything.

So you emailed them, just saying you battery was swollen and they send you one for free?

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well not that easy. You have to open a case. They ask for you IMEI & serial number and receipt and date of purchase.

Then if they deem its a battery fault they eventually send you a battery.

NAZZYYY

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
What's the email address that you used?

- - - Updated - - -

Well not that easy. You have to open a case. They ask for you IMEI & serial number and receipt and date of purchase.

Then if they deem its a battery fault they eventually send you a battery.

So what email address did you use to contact them?

Hearts86

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
To get it replaced free of charge what do we have to do? Who do we have to send it to? What address? Only the battery or with the phone to? Do I go to my mobile provider?
I am in France and bought the phone at Bouygues Telecome.

Thank you.

Sorry to reply only now. I was told by Samsung I would have had to send them the phone in the jiffy bag they would mail me. I bought a battery myself since I couldn't wait for them to "repair" the phone.
I know some have just phoned Samsung and were sent a replacement battery just providing proof of purchase and IMEI number, but to me they said that wasn't their policy anymore.
I am in the UK instead.

Forgot to say, you need to phone Samsung Customer Service and they'll send you a jiffy bag to send back the phone.

Tajoodeen

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello All

I was having the same problem with battery life draining. I e-mailed Samsung customer service using their online form try this link it may or may not work
Email Product Support - Step1 : Tell us your issue | SAMSUNG UK

i logged a fault with them and received a call back from them within 24hours i was asked to check whether my battery had a bulge in it which was visible by turning phone on its side. Was advised to take phone along with proof of purchase and they will replace battery straight away which they did. I took mine to u.k westfield stratford arcade E1 u.k

i asked them if they had seen many with this problem and confirmed a batch of batteries for S4 with the serial number starting with BD had been manufactured with a fault and they were aware. took literally 2 min so guys contact Samsung main site depending on which country you live they may require you to send phone to them. In my case was simple.

Bottom line if you battery has developed a bulge and battery life has decreased STOP suing battery to prevent it from bulging even more. hope this helps

obuckley

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
My problem is a little different, but it's still under the title of this thread.
My Galaxy S4 Active keeps shutting down and has to be re-started. It sometimes does this on its own e.g. in my pocket, but it always does it when connected to a charger or any USB.
Not immediately, and the time it takes before it shuts down seems to vary.
This is particularly irritating when it's connected to a USB port on a computer for data transfer (syncing, transferring pictures).
I have two batteries, the original Samsung and another non-Samsung. Neither of the batteries shows any bulging.
I have thoroughly cleaned the battery contacts on the batteries and in the phone. The batteries both fit perfectly (no loose connection like you might get if the battery was flopping around in its recess).
The switch off problem happens with both batteries, so it looks to me like a phone problem, not a battery problem.
Has anyone else had this?

Lozdog7

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey obuckley
My bf is having the exact same problem with his phone. Its definitely not the battery because we tried using his friends battery which was fine and the phone did turn off still.
And he can't get it fixed because he has a crack on the screen so warranty is gone. Keeping in mind the crack was months before this started happening.
There is pretty much no pattern to when it turns off and on, but doesn't seem to have any issue with restarting like other people have had.
Have you had any luck since your last post?
I've seen videos of people cleaning the battery ports. Have you tried this yet, was considering it but worried I'll damage the battery completely.

Posted via the Android Central App

viacarzeto28f

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
the reason S4 is shutting down is due to the last two 4.2.2 firmwares. I have installed an earlier versions released in June 2014, and my phone never shut down for one. I did an update today hoping the software issues would have been resolved but it appears this is not the case as my phone started shutting down again after the update. I will have to re install the older version of 4.2.2. shame on Samsung for the poor service / support. I am already considering purchasing a non Samsung android phone next time around

viacarzeto28f

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
You are right this is not a battery issues. I have purchased another battery and one was sent to me by Samsung when I called and complained about my phone shutting down. I have used both new batteries but my phone still shuts down. I had to re-install an older version of 4.2.2 released in June / July 2014, and this has worked. I unfortunately did an update today hoping the latest update released in November 2014 would have fixed the error causing the shutting down, but this is not the case as my phone has started shutting down again. very despicable of Samsung releasing faulty firmwares twice in a role. very disappointingly shameful

George Michael2

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I purchased my Samsung Galaxy S4 zoom back in October and has been shutting down all by itself since new every couple of days sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. I even took the phone to the Samsung repair centre who put in a new battery. A couple of days later, it continued to shut down all by itself. Eventually I decided enough was enough and took the phone back to the retailer who after several arguments, gave me a full refund.

Might I advise everyone to return their S4 Zoom to their vendor before the one year deadline expires and shame on Samsung for this. I thought better of Samsung as I have been very happy with a lot of their products over the years.

Hope this post helps somebody at least!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia