Galaxy S5 "contacts has stopped" message, why?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It's worth doing the factory reset! It's the only way to solve that problem plus it's not as bad as you may think.

Somehow it automatically restored most of the apps I had installed....

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The next update fixes that problem.

Posted via the Samsung Galaxy S5

Which update, are you talking 5.0.1, or 5.1, or an update to the Google+ app. The last one surely can't be it because I've had several Google+ updates to my app and it still does, albeit less frequently then I remember.

manamaga

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I flashed my S5 as per the tut by @Northen.dj and had no probs with error messages since. S5 is quicker and more responsive too!

Posted via the Android Central App

Mini Thor

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I am not too sure if this is resolved. I have been running into this issue as well. I tried the following steps as recommended by someone on another thread:

1. Uninstall Google+ Updates
2. Clear data and cache for Google +
3. Update Google+ again

This reduced the number of times this annoying message popped up.

One other thing I noticed is if I have the Smart Remote app to show up in the notification area, causes this message to pop up as well. I change setting to not show in the notification area and the "contacts has stopped" message goes down drastically.

Hope this helps!!!

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! On call for 6 hospital emergency departments and can't use my freaking phone! Thanks lollipop

You didn't expect Google and/or Samsung to actually test this crap before release did you? Or even have a way to get updates to these phones in a timely manner?

Android is pretty much a fail on the majority of fronts.

Ssands1

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Solution that worked for me...
Went to voice mail and deleted all voice mails in the box, and the already deleted voice mails...a two step operation....I have a Samsung GS5 VZ Lollipop OS 5.0 and did all the other cache clears data clears, reboots unload recent apps reloaded recent apps. so on and so forth that didn't work for me...but delete voicemails did...Go Figure

Posted via the Android Central App

ttam68

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Deleting voicemails and deleted voicemails worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

Clearing caches and disabling Google+ did nothing for me.

chas521

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
My problem with the contacts is a little different. I paired my Verizon S5 [Lollipop 5.0] through BT on my 2014 Honda Accord and replaced my older iPhone 5. It went pretty well and everything [phonebook, music] was imported. However, when I turn off the car and re-start it later only the music is imported and the phonebook is not. I get "phonebook can't be imported" error message - something like that. Honda is no help. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Last edited:

chas521

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
OK, got it worked out - I hope. After you pair your phone with the BT and the full pairing is correct, simply press [hold] the power button on your Android phone until you get a message showing shutoff, re-start, emergency, cancel - something like that. Choose re-start and then all should import properly the next time you start your car.

TheBrandMason

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Here is how to solve it once and for all. The problem has to do with a synchronization fault in contacts. I couldn't find any online solution that worked (e.g., disable Samsung Pay, clear the cache, Master Factory Reboot, etc.), so I had to figure it out myself. The reason some of these appear to work is that, until you expressly add the account back that's causing the problem (see below), everything will be fine. But once you add that account back, the problem resurfaces.

1) Go to Settings->Applications->Contacts
2) Select CONTACTS TO DISPLAY
3) You will see a rather long list of choices. The default seems to be the first choice, i.e., All Contacts. When you choose this, then Android tries to sync your contacts from everyone: gmail (every account you have), Samsung, Facebook, Outlook, Skype, LinkedIn ... and this is what is failing. Given the combinatorics of the operation, it's not hard to see what this would be inherently buggy.
4) You have a few choices now, but ALL CONTACTS isn't one of them. In my case, I keep all my contacts in a particular gmail account of mine. So I selected only that account. Problem solved. Alternatively, if you scroll down to the very bottom of the list, you'll see the choice "Customized List." There is a little gear next to it. You can click on that gear and then choose whichever particular accounts you want synced. This will be trial and error. Start with one. If that works, add another -- if and until the problem recurs. For me, it's a lot easier to keep all my relevant contacts in one particular gmail account, but this provides you with a way to sync more of them -- if you insist. Eventually, you'll find out which account(s) is (are) the troublemaker(s) and you can exclude it (them).

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Forgot all about this thread until this reply popped in my inbox.

I solved it and the many failings of the GS5 and Android once and for all. In June I got an iPhone 6+. Much better phone and a lot fewer of these BS annoyances. It actually works as advertised 99.999% of the time.

Bankssc

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Here is how to solve it once and for all. The problem has to do with a synchronization fault in contacts. I couldn't find any online solution that worked (e.g., disable Samsung Pay, clear the cache, Master Factory Reboot, etc.), so I had to figure it out myself. The reason some of these appear to work is that, until you expressly add the account back that's causing the problem (see below), everything will be fine. But once you add that account back, the problem resurfaces.

1) Go to Settings->Applications->Contacts
2) Select CONTACTS TO DISPLAY
3) You will see a rather long list of choices. The default seems to be the first choice, i.e., All Contacts. When you choose this, then Android tries to sync your contacts from everyone: gmail (every account you have), Samsung, Facebook, Outlook, Skype, LinkedIn ... and this is what is failing. Given the combinatorics of the operation, it's not hard to see what this would be inherently buggy.
4) You have a few choices now, but ALL CONTACTS isn't one of them. In my case, I keep all my contacts in a particular gmail account of mine. So I selected only that account. Problem solved. Alternatively, if you scroll down to the very bottom of the list, you'll see the choice "Customized List." There is a little gear next to it. You can click on that gear and then choose whichever particular accounts you want synced. This will be trial and error. Start with one. If that works, add another -- if and until the problem recurs. For me, it's a lot easier to keep all my relevant contacts in one particular gmail account, but this provides you with a way to sync more of them -- if you insist. Eventually, you'll find out which account(s) is (are) the troublemaker(s) and you can exclude it (them).

This worked! I was on the phone with samung aND they could not fix it but this worked