Galaxy S5: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Huge disappointment, Samsung TOTALLY dropped the ball!

So, to make up for Samsung's garbage (eye tracking is non-sense), I need to pay them more money? Or get an SD card and have a mis-mash of where things save, and what apps go where? Or root and void my warranty?

I have an SD card on my S3 and I know EXACTLY where things go. I also root my device and can bring it back to a state that doesn't void my warranty. I guess some people don't want to worry about these things. There are other devices that are easier for the end user.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Among other quoted features, I think that the USB 3.0 compatibility (for faster data speeds and potentially faster charging times) is a nice addition, and let's not forget about the water resistance either...which could be a lifesaver in the event of certain mishaps.

Frankly, I just don't see how this announcement could be that upsetting to anyone, nor do I see as a move that kill any of Samsung's existing market share. The Galaxy S series is wildly popular, and I believe will continue to be so with the release of this model. People tend to say the same thing every other year when Apple does one of it's "minor" updates to the iPhone line...and yet people still show up in massive numbers to buy them...when you're already ahead of the curve and making great devices, there isn't always a ton of room for drastic improvements every year.

If this device doesn't have the features you want...don't buy it. There are plenty of other Android options out there, and I'm sure Apple would be happy to your money as well.

I will agree. I think a lot of people that were disappointed about the specs but forgot about the simpler things on a phone like upgrading to a new USB 3 connection that IS BACKWARDS compatible with older MicroUSB chargers so people don't have to buy a new charger or adapter or water/dust resistant phone or even the fingerprint reader to eliminate the log-in processes of apps.

It might not be a worthy upgrade from S4 to S5 but they aren't forcing you to upgrade.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

So, to make up for Samsung's garbage (eye tracking is non-sense), I need to pay them more money? Or get an SD card and have a mis-mash of where things save, and what apps go where? Or root and void my warranty?

The 16GB option is more than enough for the overwhelming majority of users. It was with the S4. The 32GB version was made for people who need more storage. If having a 16GB option wasn't enough for you in the first place, I don't think a couple gigs used up by the bloatware would have made a difference. Get the larger storage option

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty amazed how harsh people are being to a phone they have yet to get their hands on. I had mostly written Samsung off once I ditched my GS3, but this new one looks pretty nice to me. Physical home buttons will always have critics, and those who love them. I though they did a pretty good job with this phone and would like to try it out before I make a decision. I don't understand how someone can complain about the cheap plastic build quality without even touching one, especially when the reviews are boasting a much improved and higher quality feel. This phone will definitely get a look over by me, although I think I'm more excited to get my hands on the new HTC M8...

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I was writing a post on my personal blog after the announcement, and I have to admit I was initially disappointed with what I saw. But then I took a step back and thought about it, and to be honest the only thing I was disappointed about was that it didn't "knock my socks off". I have to give it to Samsung; compared to the GS4, this is definitely a better thought out device. There are SO many things on the GS4 that I NEVER use, way too many pointless options. But with the GS5, they seemed to think about where they felt the market was headed, and created a device to represent that. Those 5 points on their presentation summed up what they felt the GS5 needed to be, and they fixed what they felt was wrong with the Gear to make it a good companion for it. I've never been that thrilled with the way the 4 looked, but I just threw a case on it, installed a launcher and I was fine. Minor step up or no, it's still a REALLY good phone. Better than what Sony or HTC have? That's personal preference. But it bothers me when I see people condemning it because "It's plastic" or because "It's not different enough". What's "enough"? How far does it have to go? As with everything, people buy what works for them, and for a LOT of people, Samsung suits them just fine. Considering how much of Android it represents, it suits them more than just fine. If your socks aren't knocked off, don't get it. Me personally am in a position where I can upgrade every year, and if they come out with a package like the GS5 and the Gear Neo for around $250, I may just bite the bullet.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

So that means you are amazed with S5? You must be in different planet. Don't force people not to get disappointed after all the great expectations. All humans feel that way except maybe YOU!
Moto X is plastic so as Nexus 5 but take a closer look at the beauty of the look. S5 back looks hideous... awful. And the color gold is so so bad. They force to go with Gold because apple did it.

Overall it is the most powerful smartphone on paper.

By the way, Moto X active display and Touchless control are still the greatest innovation [stupid comment removed by moderator]

Sent from my ever love Moto X (aka LenovoX)

No, I just know a good smartphone when I see one and I don't fall in line with the whole "it has to be metal/no capacitive buttons/vanilla Android" crowd. Argue all you want, but outside of the storage issue (which isn't that big of a deal with a 32 GB option and expandable storage), this has every making of a top tier phone. People are just hating on it because it's no longer cool to like Samsung phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

People are just hating on it because it's no longer cool to like Samsung phones.

It was never cool to like Samsung phone lol :D seriously though I agree. Even though there are a few things I don't like about Samsung phones the S5 sounds killer

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I doubt that was posted by HTC. More likely somebody with an HTC avatar

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It was never cool to like Samsung phone lol :D seriously though I agree. Even though there are a few things I don't like about Samsung phones the S5 sounds killer

If you say so.

Samsung got into this position by marketing their products as "cool".

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I just think that the "hype" was so high for the S5. The rumor mill was churning out some amazing features. When the actual phone specs get released people feel let down.

Personally I think the phone sounds solid and I like the overall look.

EDIT: Not the gold though, to me the gold is ugly

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

The camera on the S4 was already incredible...how much improvement did you expect?
I wouldn't go that far, it's decent but not near incredible, still doesn't come close to the Jesus phone's camera imo

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I just think that the "hype" was so high for the S5. The rumor mill was churning out some amazing features. When the actual phone specs get released people feel let down.

Personally I think the phone sounds solid and I like the overall look.

EDIT: Not the gold though, to me the gold is ugly

That's why we should never listen to the rumor mill :p
The only thing that actually didn't meet the rumors was the resolution, which is fine as is .

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

With non-production software. This point can't be emphasized enough. THIS IS NOT FINAL SOFTWARE

Delurking to express my admiration for you on your handling of the S5 rollout. Just a year ago we were at war on One vs. S4 ;)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Delurking to express my admiration for you on your handling of the S5 rollout. Just a year ago we were at war on One vs. S4 ;)

I always said what I thought they needed to change. They did it. So far I like what I see and am considering getting one for myself.

So many good looking devices being launched this year though. Tough choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I always said what I thought they needed to change. They did it. So far I like what I see and am considering getting one for myself.

So many good looking devices being launched this year though. Tough choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I don't think we've ever heard this many devices that are so close in terms of awesomeness :p

zerrisk

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

That's why we should never listen to the rumor mill :p
The only thing that actually didn't meet the rumors was the resolution, which is fine as is .

Resolution, chasis, size

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

I was waiting for this S5 for years now! For me current S2 user, it will be a huge upgrade for me no matter what!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg