Galaxy S5 unable to recognize numbers in sms text?

Mchristens

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
So, picked up my S5 one week ago, and noticed that when I receive a text message containing a phone number it's not possible to click on the number and call it. My S4 used to highlight all numbers and by clicking on them you had the option to call directly. Any ideas? I'm on 4.4.2 stock touchwiz using the stock sms app.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, just installed textra, set as default app but it still does not work..

then you have more serious problem with that phone.

I just sent myself a text with my own phone number in two formats:

xxx-xxx-xxxx

and

xxxxxxxxx

both were underlined and when I clicked on each of the, it brought up the dialer.

i assume you have already done a Restart.

have you done a Factory Reset yet?

if not, that is the first thing that Tech Support will require you to do before they even consider working with you, or replacing the phone.

Mchristens

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have done a restart, wanted to avoid a factory reset at least until I look into the matter a bit. After some experimenting, it appears that the function does work, but only if a number starts worth 00 and is eight digits in total. Very strange.

Mchristens

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have restated the phone, but honestly wanted to avoid a factory reset until I research the matter a bit. The mystery now is that after some experimenting it does work but only with eight digits and when the number starts from 00 or 123. Very strange..

jonifili

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to change the keyboard language from English US to English UK and the problem is solved.

Same here with xCover 3 and Android 6.0.1. Same issue similar solution, but changed the phone language not the keybords.
Go figure....

Last edited: