Galaxy S6 - Would you buy again?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I take my phone off the charger when it reads 100% and it immediately reads 98%. Then I put it back onto charge and wait for it to go to 100% and as soon as it becomes 100% I take it off the charger and it says 98%

If I take my phone off the charger AS soon AS it hits 100%, I'll likely see it drop to 99%. If I leave it over night charging wired and pull it off charger in morning it can go hours on standby without dropping past 100%, or I need to use it for 10-15 mins before it drops.

Posted via the Android Central App

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I'd probably buy another S5 for a lower price. Batt, SD, water/sand resistance, USB 3 and Kies rather than that reduced feature Smart Switch thing. I'd even consider a Xiaomi Note 4 Pro.

PixWorks

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I would be more inclined to buy another Galaxy S6 if it had a micro SD and a metal back. Not saying I was upset by the glass back in anyway, but I do find it to be a fingerprint magnet. That being said, I'm loving mine and will have had a happy experience with it by two years from now.

xPETEZx

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What attracted me to the S6 was the fingerprint reader.
Glad that it does work as a well as I was hoping.
However the rest of the phone leaves a lot to be desired compared to my HTC 1m8:

1.) Bluetooth Streaming does not auto-play in the car (only like 1 in 10 times)
2.) Battery life is sh*t. HTC 1m8 would get to the end of the day with 25-30% left and no charging throughout the day. S6 gets to like 5% by evening without a top up charge in the car. With a top up it still ends up on 15-20% tops.
3.) No SD card slot is a bummer
4.) Samsungs old tricks with stuff like MHL. Remember these from my S3 days. Cant they just use the standard? Still not clear if the S6 supports MHL. Dont fancy buying an MHL 3.0 adapter to find out. (Whats with no backwards compatibility? Sure support 3.0 for 4k, but also support 1.0 & 2.0 cables FFS)

Airstream25

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Probably not. Not happy with the undersized battery that cannot be replaced with an extended battery. Not happy with the loss of water resistance that the S5 had.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would...no problems with the phone at all...battery life isn`t the best but the 5.1.1 update has improved it for me without a doubt..I also have a Note 3 and am still happy with it too... even though I`m due a phone upgrade I`m sticking with what I`ve got.

JoshTBrown27

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I probably would, it would either be the S6 or G4, in fact it WAS when I was choosing what to upgrade to from my G3. I'm by no means impressed with the battery life on my S6, but it just does a lot more than LG phones do, and that's disappointing that it runs out so quickly. I'm fine with non expandable 64GB and a non removable battery, since it does charge super quick, but it also drains super quick. Despite the G4 having 3000mAh I've heard it gets the same SoT as I do with my S6, so you can't really get a new high end flagship AND good battery life at the same time, which is sad.
For those that don't know, the G4's front camera I'm pretty sure can't record QHD, S6's can. Also, with regards to multi window, there's a hell of a lot more you can do on a Samsung than on an LG. I'm happy with Samsung as long as they do something about the battery life. I'll just wait a couple of months for the price to drop down.

Last edited:

chappys4life

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
No way, as soon as the iPhone 6s is out goodbye S6. I traded in my 6 wanting to try the S6 and I think its a good phone but not quite there yet. I will admit I like the simpleness of the iPhone. I am not against tech and have been in IT 10 years but I just do not see the android love affair. Why it is not for everyone.

My top 3 issues
1. The fingerprint scanner is so so
2. Battery sucks
3. Slow and lag

My top 3 i like
1. Screen quality
2. Wireless charging
3. Have not found it yet

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am not against tech and have been in IT 10 years but I just do not see the android love affair. Why it is not for everyone.

Because Android offers the user to customize their experience as they want. Iphone does what it does well, no knocking it...but there's little to no way for the user to change the UI and design, that's the difference.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
No way, as soon as the iPhone 6s is out goodbye S6. I traded in my 6 wanting to try the S6 and I think its a good phone but not quite there yet. I will admit I like the simpleness of the iPhone. I am not against tech and have been in IT 10 years but I just do not see the android love affair. Why it is not for everyone.

My top 3 issues
1. The fingerprint scanner is so so
2. Battery sucks
3. Slow and lag

My top 3 i like
1. Screen quality
2. Wireless charging
3. Have not found it yet

I agree with everything you said. I had my S6 for 3 months then went back to my iPhone. The first month or so was great but after that battery life took a nosedive and it started to lag, not a ton, but very noticeable. Even after a hard reset. Combine that with random pics disappearing from my gallery I wouldnt buy it again. Its a great device but just wasnt for me.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes it feels like I was the only one that got a good S6. I experience no lag and I only use Touchwiz because I missed getting notifications on Nova for Facebook. I am in love with the camera and fast charging. I get on average anywhere from five to six hours of screen on time and then it's only about an hour until my phone is fully charged again whereas my six plus takes over two hours to charge even with the iPad charger. Could the battery afford to be bigger? Of course it could be but fast charging is a God send. I also notice when I switch over to my iPhone six plus the lack of apps. I no longer use the official twitter app and only stick to carbon which isn't available on iOS. Though I have rct3 on my iPhone which also isn't available on Android lol. I will probably get the S7 next may as my six plus will not be obsolete. However after that trying to choose between the seven plus and the S8 I will be screwed lol

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes it feels like I was the only one that got a good S6. I experience no lag and I only use Touchwiz because I missed getting notifications on Nova for Facebook. I am in love with the camera and fast charging. I get on average anywhere from five to six hours of screen on time and then it's only about an hour until my phone is fully charged again whereas my six plus takes over two hours to charge even with the iPad charger. Could the battery afford to be bigger? Of course it could be but fast charging is a God send. I also notice when I switch over to my iPhone six plus the lack of apps. I no longer use the official twitter app and only stick to carbon which isn't available on iOS. Though I have rct3 on my iPhone which also isn't available on Android lol. I will probably get the S7 next may as my six plus will not be obsolete. However after that trying to choose between the seven plus and the S8 I will be screwed lol

Maybe you got a special batch of S6/they didn't give the rest of us. Battery life is horrible on my S6 and while it doesn't lag all the time there are times it is completely unusable with the lag. My Nexus 5 2013 on Marshmallow works smoother than my 2013 Galaxy S6

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a good phone and I'd definitely buy it again.

I did play with my old Razr Maxx HD for a few minutes yesterday.... I do miss the smaller size phone the RMHD was. That being the case, you can understand why I'm not interested in any of the larger phones that have been released since the S6 rolled out. While playing with the RMHD I was also reminded why I abandoned it.... App updates were KILLING that phone. Maps, Facebook and several other created a very unstable device. With the S6, it updates nearly daily and I haven't had a single glitch. The CPU and memory to handle all the bloat that is Android today.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you got a special batch of S6/they didn't give the rest of us. Battery life is horrible on my S6 and while it doesn't lag all the time there are times it is completely unusable with the lag. My Nexus 5 2013 on Marshmallow works smoother than my 2013 Galaxy S6

My battery is good for a medium user. If I was a heavy user I wouldn't have bought this phone...I knew this before I bought it...at launch.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
My battery is good for a medium user.

Agreed, I'm consistently posting similar results. According to GSam, I'm averaging 4h23m SOT per charge (5h15m max) over the last two weeks, and easily get 24h+ out of a cycle with greater than 15% remaining (36h+ during light usage periods). Those averages are also brought down by periodic gaming sessions and being connected to Wi-Fi the majority of the time.

Sorry to know everyone isn't getting similar (or better) results, but I don't think that means those of us who are must be special snowflakes. ;)

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I'm consistently posting similar results. According to GSam, I'm averaging 4h23m SOT per charge (5h15m max) over the last two weeks, and easily get 24h+ out of a cycle with greater than 15% remaining (36h+ during light usage periods). Those averages are also brought down by periodic gaming sessions and being connected to Wi-Fi the majority of the time.

Sorry to know everyone isn't getting similar (or better) results, but I don't think that means those of us who are must be special snowflakes. ;)

That section of gsam confuses the hell out of me. I've had days with six hours of screen on time yet gsam says the max is five hours and 31 minutes. It makes ZERO sense

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
That section of gsam confuses the hell out of me. I've had days with six hours of screen on time yet gsam says the max is five hours and 31 minutes. It makes ZERO sense

I also get confused by gsam. It says I average almost 4 hours SoT when I usually get more like 2.5-3 hours. However battery life average is accurate as it says I'm getting 1d9hrs which is correct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci