Galaxy S7 Edge - Restarts itself up to twice each hour

Neocorteqz

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I had no reboot issues until tmobile did the last update on the on the edge 7.

I've noticed bluetooth is usually on connected or not. I do have a theme installed as well, so maybe I will kill the theme first, see if that helps. If not I will turn bluetooth off and see what happens.

Will post results later.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
On my phone at least, Google play services isn't causing problems.
Maybe Google play services needs updated. How long ago did you get the phone? Sometimes the carriers can troubleshoot over the phone, or Samsung may help as well, if you're able to get hold of them

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you...I didn't have any issues until the Tmobile update a couple days ago.

I even did a factory reset and it is still having problems.

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I had no reboot issues until tmobile did the last update on the on the edge 7.

I've noticed bluetooth is usually on connected or not. I do have a theme installed as well, so maybe I will kill the theme first, see if that helps. If not I will turn bluetooth off and see what happens.

Will post results later.

My response earlier should have quoted your post.

Having random restarts since the last Tmobile update.

rnhunsaker

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Likewise. My S7 Edge was a stabile as a granite mountain until the recent T-Mobile update. Does anyone know how to roll it back?

My phone was a running little warm when the reboots were happening this evening. I disabled Bluetooth. The phone is now cool. But, this is a very short test interval. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. It will also be interesting to hear what others experience.

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Likewise. My S7 Edge was a stabile as a granite mountain until the recent T-Mobile update. Does anyone know how to roll it back?

My phone was a running little warm when the reboots were happening this evening. I disabled Bluetooth. The phone is now cool. But, this is a very short test interval. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. It will also be interesting to hear what others experience.

Just wondering, do you use a smart watch? That's the main reason my Bluetooth is always on for me.

I'm starting to think it is bluetooth related. I'm either on my car bluetooth or I get a notification on my watch before it restarts but that may just be coincidence since my phone is always connected to something.

I'll shut down Bluetooth and see what happens.

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just as a follow up to this...I have not had bluetooth running for over 24 hours and it's been rock solid so. No unusual battery drains, no restarts....

Which sucks if that is the issue - miss my watch.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
From my experience with this issue, if a factory reset doesn't solve the problem, the next step is to visit Samsung Experience store inside Best Buy to have them reflash the phone. If that doesn't fix it, then it's a bad motherboard. I think there were batches with this issue and my first S7E was one of them.

David towle

May 29, 2013
Visit site
First, I'd like to say I absolutely love my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and what it can do, when it's not restarting itself. This problem has only begun a few days ago but it's getting more and more frequent. I've deleted the apps that I installed that I thought my be causing the glitch. I've done a factory reset and it worked for a little while.

Is anyone else having this issue?

:mad:

Mine freezes and restarts, only when using amazon video. Happens every time I'm using it. Usually about 30 minutes into a video.

rnhunsaker

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I think I solved my problem. After the last T-Mobile update, my wife's S7E and my S7E each picked up the spontanious reboot problem. Turning off Bluetooth eliminates the symptom but is an unacceptable "fix". I also tried cleaning Bluetooth Share Cache and firmware cache without success.

My "fix" is disabling "Samsung Gear". Once done, neither of our phones reboot automatically. Yay!

Last edited:

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I solved my problem. After the last T-Mobile update, my wife's S7E and my S7E each picked up the spontanious reboot problem. Turning off Bluetooth eliminates the symptom but is an unacceptable "fix". I also tried cleaning Bluetooth Share Cache and firmware cache without success.

My "fix" is disabling "Samsung Gear". Once done, neither of our phones reboot automatically. Yay!

I've found the same thing...however, that's not really an acceptable fix...may have to try the reflash next.

rnhunsaker

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It is not just an unacceptable fix, it really isn't a fix at all. It forces a lack of functionality on the customer. A factory reset is "easy and convenient" for T-Mobile and Samsung but it is an unacceptable burdon to the customer.

After further testing, disabling Samsung Gear appears to reduce the number of spontaneous reboots. Unfortunately, the reboots still occur. The reboots seem to be more frequent when the S7E phones are close to another bluetooth device (headset, speaker, computer, tablet, vehicle, etc.). Again, disabling bluetooth stops the reboots but at the cost of a major function of the Android phone. Shame on Samsung. Shame on T-Mobile.

We called T-Mobile support and they disavowed the problem but we hope that the next T-Mobile update will correct the problem without requiring a factory default reset.

One of our phones is inoperative on the 700mhz band. A reconditioned phone is not available. Someday in December of January, (due to the S7E being out of stock) I will apply all of the firmware updates, do the factory reset and then reinstall all of my apps. :(

Last edited:

rnhunsaker

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm at the end of my story. I backed-up my data, did a factory restore, restored my data. My problem is solved. HOWEVER: I'm seven hours into restoring all of my settings. This would have never happened if T-Mobile had tested before pushing the update. :-$

rnhunsaker

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I was sooo happy to say that my problems were solved by doing a factory reset of my S7E. Nope. After a few days, my S7E went back to it's evil ways of random reboots.

I just read on another forum that the November T-Mobile update solved the problem. I guess that might make sense because the October T-Mobile updated caused the problem. I'm downloading the November T-Mobile update now. Crossing my fingers.

Chitharanjan K

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I too had the same problem. I did factory reset many times and also wiped cache. No improvement. It always gets crashed whenever I install Google play services. So I disabled all the Google apps and my phone was working normal. No restart at all. Then I installed and updated Google play services... it again started restarting. So according to me the culprit is GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES

playaglitter

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
My S7 started the restarts randomly after my phone had completely died a few weeks ago. I went to a T-Mobile store and they assured me not to do a factory reset but that I would get a refurbished phone. In the meantime I did wipe the cache, which worked for awhile yet it soon went back to random restarts. I picked up the refurbished phone and we did the Samsung Smart Switch to transfer contacts, pictures and videos and as I was driving out the refurbished phone restarted as well. I went back to the T-Mobile store and told them what happened and they ordered another refurbished phone for me, telling me I should also do a factory reset to the refurbished one I had as I might of transferred a virus over, I went home and did a factory reset yet once again the restarts continued to happen, not to mention that this refurbished phone also wouldn't let me download apps and no one could hear me on phone calls. I picked up the second refurbished phone and that one within an hour or so also did the restarts. I went back to the T-Mobile store and they wanted me to get another refurbished phone or call Samsung. I got a loaner phone for them in the meantime as I was going to send my phone to Samsung, however I went to Verizon who is about to let me trade in this faulty S7 for a new iPhone7. I returned my loaner phone to T-Mobile to get my Galaxy S7 starting again before I would go over to Verizon, T-Mobile put a new SIM(?) card into the Galaxy and it actually was fine for a day. I had one restart the day after, and the day after that only two. Today I've had two restarts as well. I've wondered if it has anything to do with Google Maps? I'm still annoyed but not nearly as annoyed as I was and I'm continuing to debate if I should just jump on the iPhone bandwagon and be done with all this craziness of the Galaxy S7....

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Those of you having reboot problems, are you using Package Disabler and/or Greenify?

In my 1st week with my S7 Edge I tried using Package Disabler, and Disabled a whole lot of things, what that lead to was a lot of instability and one day I woke to a phone that didn't want to wake up out of Standby, I knew it was up as it was flashing the Notification LED yellow, the colour I set for WhatsApp Group Chats.

After rebooting the phone I immediately Re-Enabled all that stuff in Package Disabler and Uninstalled it, never had an issue again, in fact I find my S7 Edge to be the most stable smartphone I have ever had, it never misses a beat, no matter the abuse

Paul36pvu

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Hello Everybody,

I have been having a lot of this problem in the last month. I have tried all troubleshootings on the Internet and I have discovered the following:
- Problems have started with the last updates of Android 6.0.1, especially after Google introduced the system with giving permissions manually to apps on what to access.
- I reinstalled the software with Smart Switch 5 times now and still have this issue once every couple of days
- I have uninstalled all updates of Google Play and Google Play services, and they are automatically updating by themselves
- I have uninstalled all apps and kept just what I really needed and the ones from big developers
- I removed the SD Card

Still once every couple of days it restarts, but in the beginning it was getting extremely hot and bootlooping.

My guess is that the new permission system or one of the latest security updates is having a conflict once in a while with Google play services (which is used by some apps) and some apps. I am waiting for new updates for our Android system. Hopefully that will resolve it because it is a very annoying issue! I really like this phone, but this restarting problem is really irritating for any user, especially business users.

If you guys have other opinions or suggestions, please share with us! I believe all of us want this problem to have a clear solution on the web! :)

All the best to you guys!