Galaxy Tab A Won't Fully Charge

roxus

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
I have a model SM-T350 that's a few years old. If the battery is low, it will charge to about 50% and then not go any further. I've cleaned the USB port, bought a new charger and USB cable. It charged to 100% a few days and I thought it was fixed but now it's back to only charge to 50%.

I've read that it could be a worn out USB port and it's quite a job to replace it as I don't have a heat gun but do have a soldering iron. Could the battery be worn out? Replacing the battery appears to be relatively easy.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Given the age of the tablet I would say your battery is wearing out. An app like accurately would tell you approximately how much battery life is left. Anything below 80% starts to cause issue with charging g and holding charge. You may be able to get a replacement battery fitted but sometimes they have sat for a long while and they degrade even when not used.

How long have you had this tablet? It may be time to consider an upgrade.

roxus

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
The tablet is four years old. I am not a heavy user and am disappointed the battery is showing signs of decline already.

I found a battery replacement kit for about $26 CAD so will swap the battery and see it charges normally.

If it still doesn't work, what would you recommend for a similar, new 8 inch tablet? Not interested in iPads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it was just a typo, but Kizzy Catwoman meant AccuBattery (not Accurately).

I have a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, which is pretty decent. I've never been able to compare it side by side with a Tab A, but I've read that the performance is about the same. I would also suggest looking into the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which is a great device that can be both a decent Chromebook and a good tablet that runs Android apps (through Chrome OS). It's a great value at $299 (which includes a nice keyboard and stand).