Galaxy Watch Screen Brightness Issue

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Hello! Since the new software update earlier this week I am having a problem with my screen brightness setting which I have set at 8. When my watch goes into AOD mode, after the 15 second screen timeout, and then when the screen goes back on again the brightness setting is down to 3. Then I change it back to 8, the screen goes into AOD, and when the screen goes back on it is down to 3 again. Every time. Never had a problem like this before the recent software update, or on my Gear S3 for years. I turned the watch off for a few hours, and then turned it back on, but the problem persists. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it? Thanks!!!

Jonathan Marcoux

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I like my watch on full brightness all the time and every time it goes to sleep then wakes it is at 3 brightness level. Now that being said I have noticed if I'm in a bright room and let it sleep then wake it it goes to 10 brightness again. Almost like the auto dim is turned on which it is definetly off. Sure hope Samsung fixes this soon with the next update. Wish there was a way to take the update back? I already tried hard reset on the watch but it keeps the update on it automatically.

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having the same problem! I was just about to do a hard reset, glad you posted that didn't help so I can avoid all the time spent reloading music and photos. I have a sort of odd update - now it appears to just be a nighttime issue since it worked right during daylight hours today?! I do NOT have it set to goodnight mode, do not disturb, or auto dim, and use my watch well into the night so I need regular screen brightness back. It is an issue with the recent software update. Not sure what to do, except perhaps wait for a fix??? Thanks again!

Jonathan Marcoux

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
Yes I believe that's what were going to have to do is just wait for a fix :( no matter how much I try different things on it just doesnt work. I'll let you know if I figure out anything or if anything changes. Thanks for the reply :)

Vincbergy

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I didn't used the AOD since I had my galaxy watch. I wanted to give a try yesterday and I have the same issue. Most of the time it will go back to Brightness "3", sometimes it will use my setting "7". Auto-Dim is not ON. I tried to turn it ON - OFF and always the same thing. So I really get the same issue here. Another bug on the plate.

tmieyal

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
I have the same firmware. This is a time of day issue. The screen brightness setting works right during the day, but after sunset it goes into some sort of nighttime mode and I have this problem with the setting going down to 3 and staying there, no matter what I do. Then the next morning it works during the day until sunset, then the problem. Over and over every single day for a week now since the update, no problem before. I'd do a hard reset if it would work, but I think it will just download the same update with the same problem. Needs a fix from Samsung I do believe.

Vincbergy

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
I have the same firmware. This is a time of day issue. The screen brightness setting works right during the day, but after sunset it goes into some sort of nighttime mode and I have this problem with the setting going down to 3 and staying there, no matter what I do. Then the next morning it works during the day until sunset, then the problem. Over and over every single day for a week now since the update, no problem before. I'd do a hard reset if it would work, but I think it will just download the same update with the same problem. Needs a fix from Samsung I do believe.

What you said really made sense because I tried yesterday evening and I had the problem and today, it was OK. But Jonathan Marcoux was right.

-Give it a try in a pitch dark room (Brightness will set to 3)
and than:
-Give it a try into a bright room (it will be your default setting).

So i'm not sure if it's something new they added in the latest version or it's a bug.
From my QA perspective, I think it's something they added.

Personnaly, it's not really how I would like it to act. I think that even in the dark, it should keep my default setting and not change it to Brightness 3. Might a battery saving thing they decided to add.

Too bad they don't show their change log details on the new version they push.

Last edited:

Jonathan Marcoux

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
Hey Everybody, could you try something and get back to me if it does the same thing on your watch. So turn on AOD. Turn off lift to wake . I have my screen timeout at 30 seconds which probably doesn't matter for this but anyways. Cover the watch to put it asleep so the AOD is activated. Now try double tapping the middle of your display quickly with your finger. For whatever reason my watch screen unlocks or if I should say wakes up from the AOD . Is there a setting for this that maybe I dont know about ? I would like it so it doesnt wake by double tapping the screen and I dont remember it doing it before this last update . I may be wrong so any input is much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time .

Vincbergy

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
Hey Everybody, could you try something and get back to me if it does the same thing on your watch. So turn on AOD. Turn off lift to wake . I have my screen timeout at 30 seconds which probably doesn't matter for this but anyways. Cover the watch to put it asleep so the AOD is activated. Now try double tapping the middle of your display quickly with your finger. For whatever reason my watch screen unlocks or if I should say wakes up from the AOD . Is there a setting for this that maybe I dont know about ? I would like it so it doesnt wake by double tapping the screen and I dont remember it doing it before this last update . I may be wrong so any input is much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time .

Hello.
I get the same result "Double tapping wakes the AOD" with the lift to wake ON or OFF. But I don't know if it's something new since the latest update or not. I haven't seen any settings that would change something for this.

It's in the same results as: When I put "night mode", I would like the watch to not wake up when turning the bezel. I completly disabled "wake up turning the bezel" setting as during the night, it would wake up the watch if I accidently touch the bezel. ;)

Even if I request a change on Samsung official forum, I don't think they will care my opinion hehe.

Regards.

Vincbergy

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi. Did anyone resolve the lowering to brightness level 3 issue. Mine does it too.

No. It looks to be the way the watch is dealing with it. Is it a bug or not... only Samsung would be able to answer this.

If it works a different way when we will receive a new update, we will know it was a bug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995