Gallery is now completely empty...

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Go figure the issues arose after the latest update.

My gallery had all albums there, but when I went to open any of them, there were "no items".

The files are still on the phone, but absolutely no way to view them. On top of that, only a few apps can actually save photos/videos

Pictures/videos with the camera don't save, screenshots don't save (goes through the function but the mini pic at the bottom left tool bar is always white, tapping crop does nothing and will freeze the phone up for a bit)

Have already gone through files and deleted a .nomedia file that existed only in a temporary folder on a singls app. Have already cleared cache and data for the gallery app and tried rescanning media with several apps, and now there is nothing in the gallery at all.

The only way I can pull up an image or video is if I'm sending it to someone through facebook messenger, snapchat or texts. Tgat and google photos seems to have most images

Done what little I could to bring this issue up to samsung to no avail. Done all that I could do with files and what not. Everything is up to date. Considering that the volume issue with screenshots is back and the phone still freezes up, seems like they're just adding problems that their updates a few months ago caused

JonesJ498

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone, and which update? Was this the Android 11 update? Are the photos saved to Internal Storage or an SD card?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

S10+, this is the link with details of the update

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G975U/TMB/doc.html

Photos and videos are saved to both internal storage and a 520gb sd card.

The files are around, they are not corrupt. I can still send videos and images (when not limited by size) thru 3rd parties, but I can't open them on my phone. I can see them in my file explorer but cannot open them. The gallery used to show the albums with their cover photos, however whichever one I tapped on showed "no items". After having already deleted a .nomedia file, I cleared data and cache for the gallery and performed rescans with several apps to no avail.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
S10+, this is the link with details of the update

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G975U/TMB/doc.html

Photos and videos are saved to both internal storage and a 520gb sd card.

The files are around, they are not corrupt. I can still send videos and images (when not limited by size) thru 3rd parties, but I can't open them on my phone. I can see them in my file explorer but cannot open them. The gallery used to show the albums with their cover photos, however whichever one I tapped on showed "no items". After having already deleted a .nomedia file, I cleared data and cache for the gallery and performed rescans with several apps to no avail.
You try opening from Samsung My files ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most new photos/videos taken with the camera and screenshots (and video caltures) are in DCIM. But I've moved a lot out to the SD card

With Scoped Storage, apps may lose access to files that are in directories that those apps didn't create. So instead of moving photos manually to the SD card, try changing the default storage location in the Camera app to SD card and see if new photos show up correctly afterwards.

JonesJ498

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
If you take the sd card out do you still have issues in the gallery?

With Scoped Storage, apps may lose access to files that are in directories that those apps didn't create. So instead of moving photos manually to the SD card, try changing the default storage location in the Camera app to SD card and see if new photos show up correctly afterwards.

Alright now I'm more confused than before lmao

So I attempted removing the SD first and it was the same. (Attempted a picture as well). Put the SD back in, changed camera storage to SD, tried taking a picture and checking the gallery and still the same.

Then returning to default I see a previous picture (from a week ago) appear at the bottom left as a recent. I tapped on it and it opened in gallery. I backed out, checked the gallery and everything seems to have reappeared.

Took a picture and it saved.

So that seems to work now...mostly

Now there's another issue

Screenshots still aren't saving to the Screenshots folder...I can crop and see the preview, but its details dont show. They appear in My Files in the screenshots folder but aren't actually appearing there in the gallery.

The other issue now is videos don't seem to save. I mean, they'll save but save as errors rather than videos lol

Im sure there's other problems I have yet to find lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Alright now I'm more confused than before lmao

So I attempted removing the SD first and it was the same. (Attempted a picture as well). Put the SD back in, changed camera storage to SD, tried taking a picture and checking the gallery and still the same.

Then returning to default I see a previous picture (from a week ago) appear at the bottom left as a recent. I tapped on it and it opened in gallery. I backed out, checked the gallery and everything seems to have reappeared.

Took a picture and it saved.

So that seems to work now...mostly

Now there's another issue

Screenshots still aren't saving to the Screenshots folder...I can crop and see the preview, but its details dont show. They appear in My Files in the screenshots folder but aren't actually appearing there in the gallery.

The other issue now is videos don't seem to save. I mean, they'll save but save as errors rather than videos lol

Im sure there's other problems I have yet to find lol
Have you tried to reset the gallery by clearing its data then force stop ?

JonesJ498

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried to reset the gallery by clearing its data then force stop ?

Yea did that before when removing a .nomedia file that was in a temp folder

Some videos are loading after yesterday, recent screenshots dont appear in gallery still. And on top of that, taking a screenshot still freezes the phone (been like that for months now)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yea did that before when removing a .nomedia file that was in a temp folder

Some videos are loading after yesterday, recent screenshots dont appear in gallery still. And on top of that, taking a screenshot still freezes the phone (been like that for months now)
Maybe change the camera settings back to phone instead of sd card?

JonesJ498

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
The video and screenshot are there but can't open?

Recorded videos show up in the gallery but mostly as corrupt...as in they wont play anything, no picture or anything. But a few of them after a couple of hours seem to load fine while others remain the same. Nothing special behind the videoa, each about 5-10 seconds long

I can take and crop screenshots but can only open them from My Files, still don't show in the gallery despite being in the same file...and they still freeze the phone every time lol

Been a bit busy so my responses are gonna vary time-wise

Might just shut the phone off for a day or so without the SD card in and see what happens

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Recorded videos show up in the gallery but mostly as corrupt...as in they wont play anything, no picture or anything. But a few of them after a couple of hours seem to load fine while others remain the same. Nothing special behind the videoa, each about 5-10 seconds long

I can take and crop screenshots but can only open them from My Files, still don't show in the gallery despite being in the same file...and they still freeze the phone every time lol

Been a bit busy so my responses are gonna vary time-wise

Might just shut the phone off for a day or so without the SD card in and see what happens
Yeah try without sd card for few days see if this goes back to normal