Gear vr setup process starts by itself

Dehgamerfriend

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
So it appears like that my phone has done the same thing. I did everything I can... am I lucky or something. After 30 min it stopped doing it now and I can use my phone normally. When I got my chance I deleted everything about the VR. I do not want to go back to iPhone.

francogallardi

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I have a Samsung A5 (2016) and it has the same problem.
So, first conclusion: we are not experiencing a problem on x series of x model, because I read comments about people using S6, S6 edge, Note 4, A5, etc.
Then, we are making focus on the Gear VR app but that's not the real point, because I've disabled the app with the Package Disabler and now I have the "same" problem with other apps. The phone "feels" something is plugged into the USB port, a VR device, a battery power sharing cable, a dock, a power charger, etc. Second conclusion: When we disable an app with the Package Disabler we are just hidding the apps wich react when we plug (realy or not) something in the USB port. So we do not see the pop ups, but the problem is not fixed.

So, we realize the problem is related with the USB port. Now, the BIG QUESTION: Is it a software bug? Or have we all physically damaged the USB port?

What I think: If it were a problem with x series of x phone I'd say it's a factory problem. I'd say the phone is not well produced. But when I find people from all over the world experiencing the same problem with different devices from the same brand (Samsung), I'd incline the problem is hosted in the software. But in the other hand we can not say it's the OS (Android), because we have the same OS as other cell phones (Hauwei, LG, Motorola, etc) wich have not this problem. And also in my case I've been using the phone for two months perfectly and one day to an other it started failing. Finally we have two alternatives, a Samung app (may be gear VR or other) has been updated and even if we disable it, now the phone is "infected" with the bug and "feels" it's been plugged into a dock, or somehing; or we have really damaged the USB port because we're not careful or because it's not well manufactured by Samgung.

Franco, from Argentina (Samsung A5 (2016) bought in the US).

Pau_nyc

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
The issue just seemed to go away for me, after several days.
Just in case though, I disabled all of the GearVR packages using the app Package Disabler from the Google Play Store.

Thank you! I just went with this suggestion and everything seems to be working fine now.
FYI guys, this Package Disabler Pro app is $0.99 but I just wanted to get this resolved so I went for it. No need to reboot or anything. You enable admin, and search through the list to find all VR related packages (they are all grouped together) and when you click on one it has a pop up screen which allows you to uninstall it, a couple of them didn't give me this option, so I just cleared data and disabled it.

Hope this helps, it was the only thing that worked for me without having to take it to the store.

tudorpb1

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
OK So if you manage to get your phone back on temporarily before the samsung VR install starts again which manifests by the extremely frustrating black screen with white x (down volume and power key pressed until phone restarts you may need to try this several times)

With phone back download the Package disabler pro app (cost £0.50p from google play but best money ever spent to stop this annoying issue from occurring).

Once package disabler pro is installed, you need to run the application; it will give a list of installed packages on your phone (My phone is a Samsung S6)

Scroll down the list of installed packages until you see:
Gear VR Service
Gear VR SetupWizardStub
Gear VR Install

and click on these to flag them as disabled.

Exit the app and enjoy your phone again without the samgung gear VR application kicking in again.

My phone now continues to work as expected without these unwanted and forced phone applications attempting to kick in (Samsung please sort this out).

If however you want to use the Sansung gear VR with your phone then you would then need to run the Package Disabler Pro app and enable the above applications by unticking them again (bearing in mind this will generate the black screen with white x errors again).

This is the only fix that 100% worked for me, I am assuming that if a release is downloaded that re-enables these applications again then it would just be a rinse and repeat of disabling them again, but as yet I have not seen or experienced this.

francogallardi

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Guys, am I just the only one here who disabled the VR apps but now my phone "feels" theres a dock / power sharing cable / charger connected instead of the VR Gear device???

I'm still having the same problem without de VR apps. In fact with no other app. Now Android is failing. The phone feels something inside the usb port.

Last edited:

Milicia Force

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Try going to: Settings > applications > manage apps > select gear VR > tap storage > manage storage > clear data (at the top). Fixed it right up for me.

Let me know if this works for you

UPDATE: so the gear vr popping up repeatedl no longer happens after clearing data. But im still running into issues with charging. Ive found it only happens to the adaptive fast white charging bricks that the phones come with (plugging it into my computer or used an older standerd charger) and it was able to charge. Just much slower. Im thinking about going to the samsung reps at Best Buy to have them flash my phone and re apply the software.

Milicia Force

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Update 2: i tried an aftermarket adaptive fast charger and it worked fine. Its strictly the white samsung charger that comes with it. So imma go to an electronics store tomorrow and buy another adaptive fast charger

francogallardi

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
If you read all the comments you'll realize a lot of people flashed the phone and reinstalled the software (by themselves or by the Samsung official techs like me) and that did not fix the phone.

BerlinMasseur

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem since yesterday. Sometimes my phone will charge, but mostly this damn gear vr comes up or the black screen. When that happens, it won't charge. I have none of their apps, and I have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I can't even delete the damn program. I think it came in with the last update

I have the same issue with my S6, but also was having issues where my phone would simply not charge through the USB port. I took the phone to a Samsung 'flagship' store in NYC which had a repair shop in it as well. After looking at the charging port with a magnifying glass the woman at the counter told me that my port was bad. She said this was most likely caused by using a cheap micro USB cable. I left the phone there for a few hours, they ended up replacing the small board that the usb port is connected to, the battery, and the screen. At this point I decided to buy the wireless charging mat to be safe. (its actually a nice $30 investment) Problem however is that there are times when I need to use a micro USB cable to charge the device while I'm out or away from home etc. After about a month with only 2-3 regular charges through the charging port, all the above issues began to happen again. As of now my ability to charge via USB is hit or miss, and the VR setup screen usually appears after I've attempted to charge the phone through my usb cable.

I'd love to see something posted about this on Drippler if others are experiencing the same thing. :cool:

Buttons8

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Ok, this thing is driving me nuts, please help! I can't uninstall or delete anything to do with Samsung gear vr as I can't find any of the system files. It randomly gives me a black screen and tries to setup. If I go to application manager, I only see one service of which I can only force stop and not disable.

I'm on a s7 edge, reluctant to do a hard reset as this hasn't always solved the problem for people. Charging is now a nightmare because when I plug the genuine charger in, it just flashes the battery sign and the connect charger sound just keeps going on and off!!!!

Samsung customer service oblivious to the problem and advise me to send off as there's no repair centre near me.

wordpil

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem.note 5. I've tried safe mode, deletion of apps and files, and a factory reset. None of these work to prevent the maddening VR GEAR popup and/or the phone thinking is being unplugged etc when it isn't. A complete mess with no real solution. It's in the Samsung software, but reinstall on factory reset. Samsung fails completely to address this.

Horable

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue with my note 5 beeping and and the USB port not working. I had to send the phone into samsung because of the issue. I spent hours at the local best buy and on the phone with technology support to try to fix it. Samsung had my phone for almost 2 weeks and I had to pick up a motog to use while my phone shipped to samsung. My girlfriend has the exact same phone and has been lucky to have no issues with her phone.

And just the past weekend I have had the Samsung vr app start appearing again. I just tried to clear the cache and memory on the app and hopefully this fixes it. If not I don't want to send the phone back to samsung to get this fixed yet again. It not only pops up it seems to be making my battery drain quick as well. Before this issue I had nothing but good things to say about samsung ,but hopefully it's not a sign of things to come with them.

cjp722

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded Package Disabler Pro and disabled all Gear VR and Occulus apps about 3 hours ago and it seems to have solved my constant reoccurring black screen issue. However, it hasn't solved the charging issue where it keeps recognizing the charger. I can actually deal with this issue, but the black screen thing was driving me nuts.

cjp722

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Had the constant occurring black screen flash then white x bottom left then white x bottom right then back to my normal screen. Sometimes it would do this 5 times in a row, and other times once, and then sometimes it would bring up the Gear VR download screen. I downloaded the stupid thing and it still did it. So I deleted it and continued to have the same issue. Also having batter charging issues where it keep recognizing that something is plugged into the port. Sometimes the phone would charge normally and other times very slowly, and other times not at all. Sometimes I would plug it in and all it would show is the lightening bolt every time I checked it and wouldn't charge at all. Then out of the blue, it would start charging. NONE OF THIS happened before I downloaded the latest "security update". After a couple weeks of being tortured, I came on here and found a comment where someone mentioned to download a Package Disabler, so I downloaded Package Disabler Pro. I disabled anything Gear VR and Occulus about 3 hours ago and so far it has not happened. I definitely suggest this. Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the constant port recognition, but I can deal with that, the black screen situation was getting unbearable. Hope this helps and will update if I find a fix for the batter thing.

ScroolooseUK

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue with my Galaxy S6. It will only charge at random times, screen goes black, phone makes a sound, x in bottom left and right corners, then screen comes back on, repeat..repeat...totally random. Sometimes VR software starts up and asks me to install it.

After looking at the charging port with a magnifying glass the woman at the counter told me that my port was bad. She said this was most likely caused by using a cheap micro USB cable.

For me this sounds like a good explanation. It seems my charging port has become bad and the phone seems to think I am plugging a VR headset it at totally random times, which is why it trys to install the software.The reason why i know this is because 3 months ago i left my S6 official samsung charger in a hotel room and I have been using different voltage chargers around the house from older phones. Am I the only one on this thread that is actually going to admit this?? lol...How many of you that is having this issue can honestly say they have used nothing but the original charger throughout the whole time they have had it. Not me, I didn't buy a new S6 charger simply because i couldn't afford it as I have been out of work for the past six months so I have had to put up with any charger i could find. Its nice to know that these chargers have broke my phone. If i had know this was going to happen i would have tried my best to get an offical one. I will try sending my phone to samsung as it is still in warrenty but i will NOT be telling them i used any other charger that the original one haha

mgvh

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Same deal w/ me w/ a Note5. The beeps and bubbles and "not charging" and Gear VR installation popping up.
I do the Force Stop of all three Gear VR aspects, and that will usually stop it, except if Gear VR resurrects itself and starts up again.
I just tried clearing the data as someone on page 3 of this thread suggested. We'll see...
It is ridiculous that Samsung is forcing this app w/ no way of uninstalling it.

Cristna Negrete

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone Note 5 user here - had this issues with 1st note 5 - sent it in and they sent me a "fixed one" - few days later same thing happens - just went to my files and removed some for of oculas file and its not charging. hope that worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky