Get the Moto X features on your Nexus 4

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one's praising Twisty Launcher? (also in the article)

I just set it up. Paid a dollar to the dev. Works cool, takes a second to get the gestures down. 3 gestures (after donation) = 3 quick launch features. I like it

I'll be giving ActiveNotification a whirl next.

Reddzilla

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
No one's praising Twisty Launcher? (also in the article)

I just set it up. Paid a dollar to the dev. Works cool, takes a second to get the gestures down. 3 gestures (after donation) = 3 quick launch features. I like it

I'll be giving ActiveNotification a whirl next.

Agree. Twisty is nice with the paid version. I like being able to get to my texts/email from my lock screen. Not needing to enter my pin, only a gesture.

Posted using Nexus 4 via Android Central App

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if this will help anyone, and sorry if it is an obvious set up but whats working for me on the HTC one is:

Install Active Notifications: select only the apps you really need on it.
Install Shake Screen On: I've heard complaints about how people without a moto x you still have to press the power button to see notifications....well here you go, when you shake the phone (different settings to flip or how hard/fast to shake) the active notifications come on.

thats working nicely for me shake screen on doesnt have a big impact on battery life, we'll see about active notifications on my non AMOLED screen: I will be using power saver option on HTC ONE

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Only reason I'm not getting it on my N4 is because of the LCD screen. It just doesn't make sense to have it on LCD. Will drain the battery for sure. Bummer!

Posted via Android Central App

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Only reason I'm not getting it on my N4 is because of the LCD screen. It just doesn't make sense to have it on LCD. Will drain the battery for sure. Bummer!

Posted via Android Central App

ActiveNotifications lights up very little of the screen, you can set the brightness and the screen time out... It won't light up your phone like a beacon and keep it lit until you acknowledge the notification unless you want it that way. Also, you can set your "do not disturb" hours.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to imply that lighting pixels on an AMOLED screen uses NO Battery???

My point is still valid that the amount of drain can be managed via App settings...

Any activity on any phone drains battery.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far as to call it useless. However, you do have to be prepared for a battery hit especially if you get a lot of notifications. I've been using it and since I don't get a lot of notifications my battery is not suffering from it. YMMV.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To each their own...

Any functionality used on a phone drains battery. If you don't want it, cool. I understand some people shred through battery capacity like there is no tomorrow and they have to worry about every tiny bit of juice.

But, really, to decry the App due to battery drain is nit picking. You could say that about ANY use of the phone. You should probably power down your phone and put it in your sock drawer. The battery will last you months that way. :p

Most of the screen remains black. Yes the pixels are activated, but at the lowest power consumption level over the vast majority of the screen. Black costs the least amount of power. If the entire screen lit up white and red and had pulsing neon swirls dancing around that sang "Zippity Do Dah" then maybe that would be worrisome. You can set the brightness way down, you can set the amount of time the notification stays on, you can choose only those categories of notification you want to appear so it doesn't have to show each and every notification that comes about.

At 15 seconds screen time before going back to sleep, you would have to receive 240 notifications to equal one hour of screen time.

The blinking notification light drains battery too. You can color code it and that lets you know what type of notification you have, but ActiveNotification gives you more information. With the notification light, you still have to turn the screen on to check and see what the notice is regarding specifically - WHICH DRAINS BATTERY MORE as you light up the entire screen...

george-bush-eating-a-cat-your-argument-is-invalid-dsF3SN.jpg

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have my corporate email on my N4 and get a lot of notifications. My screen timeout is set for 15 seconds. I have not seen an appreciable difference in battery life at all yet.

People forget that Apple uses the same model for their lockscreen notifications, only theirs lights up the lockscreen with the user's wallpaper which is often brighter. If it was such a battery drain, Apple wouldn't do it, particularly with LTE phones. You'd have to get a large volume of notifications to start seeing an appreciable battery drain.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
ActiveNotifications performs a function, that function is not nullified by the type of screen it is performed on albeit part of its design takes advantage of AMOLED screens' ability to illuminate individual pixels.

I'm using it on my Nexus 4 because I find it USEFUL and nifty and its battery use NEGLIGIBLE.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any noticeable battery drain. It lights up the screen with a black background so I'm guessing it doesn't use much power.

On a LCD display, black will use as much power as any other color. Still not surprised you're not seeing much battery drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vyrd