Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

groupsix

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to change my gmail notification sound. In Setup Tips and Tricks, page 1, Gmail: Tap Gmail> Menu > More > Settings > Ringtone There is no ringtone. Only General Preferences>message actions, clear search history and clear show pictures. Menu button does nothing at that point.

Hoe do I change my gmail notification sound?

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to change my gmail notification sound. In Setup Tips and Tricks, page 1, Gmail: Tap Gmail> Menu > More > Settings > Ringtone There is no ringtone. Only General Preferences>message actions, clear search history and clear show pictures. Menu button does nothing at that point.

Hoe do I change my gmail notification sound?

Try this..

Gmail > Menu > More > Settings > (your account) > Labels to notify > Inbox

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Vlingo is the Upgrade to Apple's Siri Voice Commands

Vlingo for over a year. Vlingo even pre-dates Google Voice Search. 30 states now have text while driving bans so apps like Vlingo have become increasingly important.

Vlingo is free in the Android Market. One big upgrade over Siri is that Siri is not hands-free. You must still push buttons on the iPhone to use Siri. Vlingo's InCar mode lets you just start by saying, "Hey, Vlingo." Watch the videos.

Details
• Learns: Vlingo learns and gets better at recognizing how you speak.
• Bluetooth: Vlingo also works with Android A2DP compliant headsets.

Here are examples of commands Vlingo can answer on screen or by voice.

Call, Email, or Text
"Call Mom mobile" - "Call taxi" - "Call tow truck" - "Call Best Buy" - "Call plumber"
"Redial"
"Text Will; Let's grab a late lunch."
"Email Janet; Are you available to watch Hunter this weekend?"
"Email John; Subject, Running Late; Message, John, I’ll be 10 minutes late for the meeting."

Find
"Find a sushi restaurant"
"Movie times in Boston"
"Hotels in Seattle for tomorrow night"
"Beach front hotels in Miami"
"Downtown hotel in Dallas."

Social features
"Where are my friends?"
"Twitter status; Excited for the new season of Gossip Girl."
"Update Facebook status; Headed to New York for the weekend!"

Directions and Maps
"Get directions to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave"
"Navigate to Statue of Liberty" (the boat dock, not the island comes up)
"Map of New York"

Alarm Clock
"Open alarm clock"
"Set alarm for 30 minutes"
"Set alarm for 7 AM"

Search
"Get directions to the Smithsonian"
"Why do some sunsets look red?"
"Where is Harry Potter playing?"
"Find Italian restaurants nearby"
"Find sports bars"
"Golf courses near Orlando"

Other Apps
"Open calendar" - "Open calculator" - etc.
Music: "Play music"
Browser: "Go to Google.com"

Find Answers
"Who was the tenth President of the United States?"
"What does poison ivy look like?"
"Search: population of Portugal"

Click Getting Started to return to the main menu.

Last edited:

pestproser

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Setting up POP mail

I am a former BB user, I am trying to set up my POP mail settings. I have a ".NET" address with GO DADDY. I have set my other e mail account with ATT and GMAIL. Can you help me out. BTW, I have a Samsung Galaxy s II

Thanks

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Great thread, thanks so much.

Thanking you again to get to 5 posts to see the attachments :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Setting up POP mail

I am a former BB user, I am trying to set up my POP mail settings. I have a ".NET" address with GO DADDY. I have set my other e mail account with ATT and GMAIL. Can you help me out. BTW, I have a Samsung Galaxy s II
Thanks

If you don't get a reply to this from someone more knowledgeable, I'd recommend getting a free 3rd party app like Maildroid. It handles my 5 email accounts from various services and sets up real easy to work with them.

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
hi I am new to this site and im looking for advice on how to root my LG optimus for metro PCS. im looking for ratings and good advice on how to find the best apps for my phone when it comes to rooting it, and how to use and what order to install them on my phone

any advice or direction would be appreciated
:)

bmg373

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Status Bar Notifications

I'm new at this . . . where do you get the camera app for the Executive Assistant so the camera will work from the lock screen?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Text Message Volume

How do I adjust the volume of text messages?
Good point. It was under Settings at the tops but should be under Messaging as well. I added this:

Notification Lights, Sounds and Vibration
? Text Messaging: Tap Messages> Menu > Settings > Notification sound.
? Quick Settings let's you adjust sounds all at once including Notifications: Tap Volume control or for Ringer for Phone ringer.
? Executive Assistant or Light Flow lets you set repeating LED, vibrations, and sound notifications.

Thanks!

marketgal 68

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
help help help

got a new tablet for birthday. Not happy... yesterday it froze up. Nothing works, can't get icons to work, can't shut it down, have reset it and still nothing. as soon as it comes up it freezes. I had put the gps attachment on the other day and the same thing happened. just reset and it cleared. Put in a usb stick and it froze . took it out and it is still frozen. Saw comments about hold down on button, volume button and camera button but can't get to the camera button because the start up screen is frozen and can't get tot he apps. any help out there. At the moment I am letting it die and hopefully when the battery is depleted and is re-charged it will help. Need some thoughts here or should I just send it back.
thanks.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
got a new tablet for birthday. Not happy... yesterday it froze up. Nothing works, can't get icons to work, can't shut it down, have reset it and still nothing. as soon as it comes up it freezes. I had put the gps attachment on the other day and the same thing happened. just reset and it cleared. Put in a usb stick and it froze . took it out and it is still frozen. Saw comments about hold down on button, volume button and camera button but can't get to the camera button because the start up screen is frozen and can't get tot he apps. any help out there. At the moment I am letting it die and hopefully when the battery is depleted and is re-charged it will help. Need some thoughts here or should I just send it back.
thanks.

Might help to share what tablet you have so we can give you better info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

marketgal 68

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
E10 Upgrade Flytouch III Google Android 2.3 10.1 inch 1080P Video Resistive Screen Tablet PC Silver ,

I'm sorry I should have done that.
thanks.

I have a E10 Upgrade Flytouch III Google Android 2.3 10.1 inch 1080P Video Resistive Screen Tablet PC Silver ,
It has been frozen now for 2 days and I am letting the battery die. I have reset it twice and it comes back but I can't use any of the icons.
I feel that it is a setting problem but can't get to the setting icon . the one on the homepage just sits there. sometimes it will open add a widgie But that is all that I can get to do anything.

I have tried the volume and the on button but cant get to the camera button to see if that procedure works. Help

thanks

ladylouise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
"I just purchased an Archos 7.0 internet tablet and am having trouble accessing the keyboard to create an email. the keyboard stays up when I tap the "TO", "CC" and "Subject" lines but then fades when I tap the letter area on the screen. How do I navigate to the text area without loosing the keyboard?

terimazz

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Totally new with android. Manual not good for me, I need more detail. Relying on people like you the get the most from my new phone. So I would like to Thank everyone for the help that I so need now and in the future.