Gingerbreak apk v1.2

androidnewbie2

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
been running for at least 10 minutes and nothing... was running for more than 10 previously

i've even rebooted the phone and tried again...

all i want is to get this rooted and use link2sd

Getting nervous...trying to root using GingerBreak 1.2 and it's been running for 30 minutes and still running...I am using LG Optimus V and have 32 GB SD card. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It may be your sd card. If it doesn't work the second time, try using the original 2 gig card. I've seen a few times when gingerbreak did not work with the larger sd cards.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yes, Gingerbreak 1.2 works on the Optimus V

It worked on my 6 mo. old OV with a 16g SD card, no problems. And it worked the first time
I tried it. Maybe it's a problem with the card format. I did mine on the PC first, then transfered everything from the original 2g card manually. No problems.Luck ?

WATYF

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried using Gingerbreak on my stock Optimus V. It's running Android v2.2.1, build FRG83, Kernel 2.6.32.9. When I click on "root" it runs (with the message about how it's running the exploit and that it will take a few minutes) and after about half an hour, I get this message:

"Not sure what happened here. Either the exploit failed or the reboot failed. Please reboot manually and see if you have superuser."

After a manual reboot, I still don't have the Superuser app (nor do I have access to su in Terminal Emulator).

I enabled USB Debugging before running the Gingerbreak root and I have the stock 2GB SD card mounted... is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

If not, is there another simple root process that will work on my phone/version?

WATYF

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried using Gingerbreak on my stock Optimus V. It's running Android v2.2.1, build FRG83, Kernel 2.6.32.9. When I click on "root" it runs (with the message about how it's running the exploit and that it will take a few minutes) and after about half an hour, I get this message:

"Not sure what happened here. Either the exploit failed or the reboot failed. Please reboot manually and see if you have superuser."

After a manual reboot, I still don't have the Superuser app (nor do I have access to su in Terminal Emulator).

I enabled USB Debugging before running the Gingerbreak root and I have the stock 2GB SD card mounted... is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

If not, is there another simple root process that will work on my phone/version?

WATYF

Had similar problem when rooting my wife's OV 2.2.1. Solution was to use a newly formatted sdcard when running gb. We also uninstalled some apps first (Lookout among them) but only when we used that reformatted sdcard did the root succeed.

Sent from my LG Optimus V CM7/IHO

WATYF

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Had similar problem when rooting my wife's OV 2.2.1. Solution was to use a newly formatted sdcard when running gb. We also uninstalled some apps first (Lookout among them) but only when we used that reformatted sdcard did the root succeed.

Is there any way to root the phone without losing all the stuff I have on it? I didn't think it required formatting the SD card and losing all my apps.

Really, I'm only doing this to move some stuff from the internal memory to the SD card. I'm constantly running out of disk space, so I just wanted to get rid of some of the bloatware that comes with the phone and move some other apps to SD that don't allow it by default.

WATYF

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to root the phone without losing all the stuff I have on it? I didn't think it required formatting the SD card and losing all my apps.

Really, I'm only doing this to move some stuff from the internal memory to the SD card. I'm constantly running out of disk space, so I just wanted to get rid of some of the bloatware that comes with the phone and move some other apps to SD that don't allow it by default.

Back the contents of the sdcard up on your PC (either using a card reader or by connecting the phone with USB).

I would do this regardless before starting to mess with the phone.

Of course if you have a spare sdcard, you can use that while you root. I'd swap the cards with the phone turned off, then turn it on, unmount, format, reboot, now try to root.

That said, I've only done this twice. I don't know for a fact that gb needs a blank card. Only that my wife's phone wouldn't root until we used a blank card.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

WATYF

Back up the contents to a PC folder, or just try gingerbreak multiple times, wait 10 mintes each try, then pull battery to reboot & retry. It should automatically reboot if it's successful.

WATYF

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It finally worked. For anyone else having a problem with this, mine was solved by plugging in the USB cable while trying the hack. I wasn't doing that the first time. Yeah, I know that should have been obvious by the fact that enabling "USB Debugging" was a required part of the hack, but since nobody actually spelled that part out, I was just sittin' on the couch with my phone next to me not plugged into nothing trying to get it to work. Eventually the light bulb went on. :Op

WATYF

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It finally worked. For anyone else having a problem with this, mine was solved by plugging in the USB cable while trying the hack. I wasn't doing that the first time. Yeah, I know that should have been obvious by the fact that enabling "USB Debugging" was a required part of the hack, but since nobody actually spelled that part out, I was just sittin' on the couch with my phone next to me not plugged into nothing trying to get it to work. Eventually the light bulb went on. :Op

I don't think that it's normally required when rooting with gingerbreak. I never connected a USB cable to my phone (other than charging ;-) not when I rooted either. Same when we rooted my wife's phone.

But that's a great tip for anybody having problems running gingerbreak.

xips

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbreak rooted and now market tells me Superuser has an update available. Is it ok to update Superuser via market?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I update it from inside Superuser, since it needs special permissions, though I never had a problem doing it through market.

Doing it from inside is kind of neat and places it in your apps directory where it won't use space.

Reactions: xips

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The first time I tried rooting my ov, I tried z4 mod, it did not work. Then I tried gingerbreak and it worked! It took less than a minute! Mind you my ov was stock zv5 baseband. After I flashed the zv9 update I had to use the j.case method and it worked flawlessly! But only with a PC and following the instructions to a tee!

Sent from my VM670 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2