Giving up on Google OTA updates

SurfingJerry

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why the phone/radios need to be so tightly integrated into the rest of the OS. Why not have them as bolt on modules? There's no reason for carriers to really be concerned about what goes on with the rest of the device.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my update 2 months ago, and I'm already home. Open Source is a XDA.

What is this "big picture"? Verizon must be doing something right, because everybody I know who is on big red, only says how awesome it is. People not on Verizon are mostly jealous, and openly tell me how crappy xyz company is. Is this not what Verizon want's? Updates are not a big deal to them, because I bet over 90% of the customers with Android phones, have no idea what version they are on, or what ICS is. If I'm Verizon and not doing something only pisses a tiny minority of people off, I'm probably gonna not gonna do it. All companies make this same choice all the time.

Unlock, flash, be happy my friend.

Your absolutely right, imo, but I do find their approach & always have, to all this to be getting a bit stale at this point.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I got my update 2 months ago, and I'm already home. Open Source is a XDA.

What is this "big picture"? Verizon must be doing something right, because everybody I know who is on big red, only says how awesome it is. People not on Verizon are mostly jealous, and openly tell me how crappy xyz company is. Is this not what Verizon want's? Updates are not a big deal to them, because I bet over 90% of the customers with Android phones, have no idea what version they are on, or what ICS is. If I'm Verizon and not doing something only pisses a tiny minority of people off, I'm probably gonna not gonna do it. All companies make this same choice all the time.

Unlock, flash, be happy my friend.

Well I guess I'm part of that 10% that does know what it is and I'm just voicing my opinion on why its stupid to me. I don't need any lectures on phones or carriers or OS builds I know about that already.

I've had all the carriers and yes Verizon is by far the best but my main argument was updates... How come other companies can push updates across their products and not leave older models behind or hang because of a wireless carrier?

Not everyone wants to root everytime they get a phone...

But whatever I'm done my "trolling" lol. Ima start Occupy Google since I'm a 10%er haha!

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

OME6A

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get how you don't understand this, MacHouse...

Google builds the OS.

Google supplies the OS to EOMs.

EOMs supply their custom build of the OS to carriers for testing and deployment.

Once Google has handed off the OS, it's out of their hands. This is the beauty of Android, though it is a double-edged sword.

There is overhead time involved because the EOMs have to put the time into it to customize the OS with their skin, widgets and apps. There is overhead time involved because the carriers then have to thoroughly test what the EOMs have handed to them so that it doesn't screw up their customers' experience.

TL;DR: Get a true Nexus next time, or unlock and go it your own if you think it is taking too long.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I think Machouse would blame the iron mine that mined the ore that was processed by a factory then processed by another to turn it into a screw, which was then subsequently stripped when trying to remove it from his car.

Big picture guys.

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If YOU'RE going to insult me, at least check YOUR diction first please.

Point blank, Google doesn't have a thing to do with our OTA update beyond releasing the AOSP build which then gets modified by both HTC and Verizon.

You claim you see "the big picture" and that's why you blame Google. We broke everything down for you and explained how it isn't Google's fault, so you respond by insulting us. Oh well.

Maybe you should write Google an angry letter.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get how you don't understand this, MacHouse...

Google builds the OS.

Google supplies the OS to EOMs.

EOMs supply their custom build of the OS to carriers for testing and deployment.

Once Google has handed off the OS, it's out of their hands. This is the beauty of Android, though it is a double-edged sword.

There is overhead time involved because the EOMs have to put the time into it to customize the OS with their skin, widgets and apps. There is overhead time involved because the carriers then have to thoroughly test what the EOMs have handed to them so that it doesn't screw up their customers' experience.

TL;DR: Get a true Nexus next time, or unlock and go it your own if you think it is taking too long.

Look I've been got it, my arguement is that nobody is taking charge of the situation. Google makes the OS, gives it out and says ok do what you need to do. I know people!

I'm getting crucified for blaming Google??? Like really?

If Ford makes a car and it has a recall that can endanger someone I'm going to blame ford not the [deleted] model or the dealer I'm going to blame Ford!

Get out of y'all tunnel vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
it doesn't piss you off about the OTA updates on any phone or carrier.

This is the FIRST smart thing you have said in this thread I believe. Why? Google isn't responsible for the Phone or the Carrier. They are responsible for the base OS, not the flavor of the OS, but the base.

Your right I am pissed at the carriers and the manufacturers for hold the OTAs up, and then for mucking them up.

When I hit the breaking point, I will get a Nexus. Then I will only have to wait a few weeks and not months for an update.

There is hope for you yet

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Look I've been got it, my arguement is that nobody is taking charge of the situation. Google makes the OS, gives it out and says ok do what you need to do. I know people!

If Ford makes a car and it has a recall that can endanger someone I'm going to blame ford not the [deleted] model or the dealer I'm going to blame Ford!

Your example doesn't translate properly. Ford makes the vehicle, the dealer sells it exactly as Ford had made the vehicle. The dealer doesn't make changes to the vehicle, so they're not responsible for any defects Ford may have overlooked.

You're not being crucified for blaming Google, you're being crucified for being so belligerent when we explained why Google is not to blame in this situation.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
If YOU'RE going to insult me, at least check YOUR diction first please.

Point blank, Google doesn't have a thing to do with our OTA update beyond releasing the AOSP build which then gets modified by both HTC and Verizon.

You claim you see "the big picture" and that's why you blame Google. We broke everything down for you and explained how it isn't Google's fault, so you respond by insulting us. Oh well.

Maybe you should write Google an angry letter.

First of all you put the sarcastic crap on here, I was just expressing how I felt about your comment.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Not sure what "been got it" means, but anyway. In your example, Ford and Google are not equal. In that situation Google would be equal to the company that made the engine/bolt/tire/whatever failed.
Google built the engine for the Rezound, HTC tweaked it then Verizon shoved it in the corner so it wouldn't hurt the Razr's self-esteem.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Your example doesn't translate properly. Ford makes the vehicle, the dealer sells it exactly as Ford had made the vehicle. The dealer doesn't make changes to the vehicle, so they're not responsible for any defects Ford may have overlooked.

You're not being crucified for blaming Google, you're being crucified for being so belligerent when we explained why Google is not to blame in this situation.

This is exactly what i was gonna say

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Google is only responsible for maintaining the source code.
They only compile it for the Nexus phones.
Other than making sure the Rezound met the minimum requirements to use the Google applications suite, Google has nothing to do with the Rezound.

You need to realize -- once HTC downloads the source code from Google, they own it. Legally, and figuratively. Google is out of the picture. I'm sure they would (and do) assist if asked, but they are hands-off.

In any case, it's not worth the fighting and fussing. Stay cool fellas.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Google is only responsible for maintaining the source code.
They only compile it for the Nexus phones.
Other than making sure the Rezound met the minimum requirements to use the Google applications suite, Google has nothing to do with the Rezound.

You need to realize -- once HTC downloads the source code from Google, they own it. Legally, and figuratively. Google is out of the picture. I'm sure they would (and do) assist if asked, but they are hands-off.

In any case, it's not worth the fighting and fussing. Stay cool fellas.

Finally!!!! This is who I was waiting for..

Madhouse,

If you want to think in terms of cars and make Ford equal google this is simple to think

Google = Ford
HTC = Shelby (not Ford factory built ones)
Verizon = Dealership who make changes sometimes (maybe they added Non factory tinting or a undercoat to handle salt on roads.) Or you request a different dealership installed radio

Now If your Shelby's tinting comes off within the first week or the radio stops working are you going to Ford to complain? No you are now going to the dealership to get it repaired or replaced. (akin to the CMDA radio since they are Lic.)

What if the transmission breaks well that is shelbys fualt and they will replace it. (akin to Sense or the phone hardware)

what is the frame has stress cracks now you have something for ford.... (think of this as the main source code that google doesn't allow changed)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Well apparently Google has no control over their product which is their OS. To the people that don't see the big picture please go home, you can call me dumb or stupid I honestly don't care really.

I still blame Google mainly because it starts there. So post your pics and links and wait for your update on your phone you brought 5 months ago or even yesterday out the box lol with old software.

I blame the carriers, brands and GOOGLE its all the same in the end!

Sent from Verizon HTC-R

Your phone doesn't have a Google OS, it has an HTC OS called Sense that uses most of the elements of Android and quite a bit of HTC proprietary code. Google has jack donkey-doo to do with updating your phone. Blaming them is like blaming Ford when the aftermarket sound system you want to install in your car is taking forever to be installed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reaghsj6465