Gmail app very unreliable

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that the gmail app is like most other things that are on the Xoom. A work in progress and something that is not a priority for Google, Motorola, or Verizon.

verranno

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have removed the gmail widget and this seems to have solved the problem for me.

Does this problem happen to anyone that is not using the gmail widget?

I removed widget and then cleared the gmail aop data.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Since this issue has not plagued everyone, there must be some idiosyncratic issue that affects only some users. It could be an interaction with some unknown 3rd party apps, or it could be a sequence of events (upgrade, clearing of cache/app data, deletion/reinstall of widget) that is not the same for everyone. Has anyone tried (1) removing the widget from the homescreen (2) clearing both cache and app data (3) rebooting, and (4) then reinstalling the widget on the home screen? I would even be tempted to try all these steps only after a fresh reboot, or rebooting after each step.

Don't forget to look at the settings. The update to 3.1 may have changed some default settings for you. (For me, the accessibility checkbox was selected for me, which disables caps lock and other features on the on-screen keyboard.) Did some folks' 3.1 update uncheck the background data and auto-sync checkboxes?

I had a related problem on my Droid 2 Calendar app. It just would not sync at all, or sporadically. Drove me nuts. I rebooted, deleted widget, cleared app data and cache, turned of syncing, and rebooted before re-installing the calendar app and re-enabling sync, and all is now well.

At least if someone tries this we can see if that is a permanent fix.I don't doubt this is happening to some folks, but I have never experienced it with my 3G Xoom since day 1 adoption. Usually clearing app data fixes application weirdness. The only other option is a factory reset and updating the OS back to 3.1 before adding any 3rd party apps. Don't wanna think about that.

Cheers.

Fbrn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem as the op and have searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing. With 3.0 I never had a problem.

verranno

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Removing the widget solved the problem for me. Before I did that it stopped every few days or less. Now it has been great for more than a week so far. Someone said they didn't think that was it but I haven't changed anything else. Maybe worth a try and report the result if you are using the widget.

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Not using the widget here :( I removed a bunch of apps as well to see but no luck unfortunately. I've just gotten used to hitting the refresh button which stinks.

-Mike

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Think I found my issue here at least and wasn't until I saw the thread about the Wifi icon color. With 3.2 Gmail is pretty stable for me via Wifi at home or 3G. However at work it's another story with very laggy/sluggish Gmail. Well at home the Wifi icon color is blue which from I understand means it has access to the Google servers. However at work, which is probably proxyed, it's most definitely grey with intermittent blue during the day. I'm not sure if there is a poll interval with the Gmail app, but that is most likely the problem as any real time communication is not happening due to probable filtering at work.

-Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirenbd49