Gmail constantly syncing

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So a few days ago, Gmail started always showing a notification. When I open it, I noticed it showed gmail was syncing. This goes on ALL DAY. I have not changed any settings and it just started within the last few days. Honestly I haven't noticed any battery drain, but it is annoying me. And I still get normal push notifications when new emails arrive, but the syncing notification never goes away. Any ideas?
Screenshot_20180202-115120.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you see anything in mail settings for that? I can honestly say I have never seen that notification before.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Seems to have come with the latest update a few days ago.
What specific version of Gmail is causing this?
I'm on the version in the attached screenshot and I'm not seeing that issue.
22df2576076640e66ea182902ecf8b45.jpg

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yup, same version.
@Almeuit, I've looked all through the settings and can't see anything obvious. I noticed the option to automatically download attachments was checked, unchecked that but no change.

Yesterday I noticed I was unable to download an attachment from my work email. Well, dunno that I was unable, it just never progressed in the download.

I'm curious if doing a factory reset with fix everything, but it's such a pain in the a..

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am running the same version as above and not seeing any unusual activity.

Suggestion: Settings -> Apps & notifications -> GMail -> Force Stop -> Storage -> Clear cache.

See if that has any impact.

sebcom

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

Same issue here in France, syncing all day long. I cleaned and reinstalled and problem came back after setting back my office exchange account (no issue with the Google phone account).

And I also lost access to attachments.

GMail version 8.1.7.183725757.release
Android 8.0.0 (Oxygen 5.0.1)

Best,
Sébastien.

Mihto

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Same issue here. It definitely seems related to the latest update and I think also related to having push settings enabled for email accounts. The latest update is designed to provide notifications of apps running in the background and I think gmail hasn't been given an exception.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had this problem but it looks like it's happening for multiple users here. Everyone affected should use the "send feedback" feature of Gmail to let Google know there is a problem.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You cleared cache but did you clear gmail app data too? Try force stopping gmail, clear app cache and app data then restart. Also check your sync settings. Sometimes moving the slider for Gmail Sync off, then on again will fix it.

sebcom

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
You cleared cache but did you clear gmail app data too? Try force stopping gmail, clear app cache and app data then restart. Also check your sync settings. Sometimes moving the slider for Gmail Sync off, then on again will fix it.

Yes, yes, yes. I also cleared Android cache. Then I simply did a full factory reset last Saturday prior to discover that we were thousands of people impacted (I first thought it was faulty cumulative updates on OS).

Mihto gave a very interesting explanation, I believe he said right.

Last edited:

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My 2XL has been doing it lately. It all of a sudden did it constantly when I tried to send pics. After that the syncing didn't go away. So I've gone to blue mail for now.