Go Launcher corrupted after update - Phone not working

FCB321

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Firstly, I am new to forums and hope that my query is posted in a suitable one. I am also just a user of my phone, i.e. I am not phone technical.

Last night Go Launcher, which I have been using for ages, attempted to update on my Samsung Galaxy II. It generated a ?Setup software error? and then an ?Unexpected error ? send error report? There was also some further information initially but it was displayed for too little time to read. The screen now alternates every couple of seconds between a black screen with the Notifications bar at the top and a blank Go Launcher theme, i.e. with no app icons.

I have tried hitting the home button and this shows Task Manager is running. When I select Task Manager it shows for a few seconds then the screen goes solid black. I have tried to be fast and press the Active Apps button, but the screen does not respond. After 10 seconds or so,a dialog box showing ?Unfortunately, Task Manager has stopped? is displayed in front of the greyed out theme complete with icons. Sometimes a dialog shows stating ?Go Launcher is not responding ? would you like to wait, report, ok?.If you select Wait, the screen resumes flashing. If you select Report, this leads to another dialog stating ?Market Feedback not working with an OK button. If you select OK a dialog stating ?Go Launcher has stopped? is displayed?.

If you call the phone and try to answer or reject it, it does not respond, but continues ringing even after the outside call is terminated. After about 10 seconds a dialog stating ?Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped?is displayed and then back to the flashing after the OK has been hit.

I know at this point I should have a backup of the phone, but I never think of these sensible things until something happens. So without a backup are there any suggestions of what I could try or is there a way to stop the application from loading on boot (if that is what Android phones do)?

TIA

Fiona

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried pulling the battery and rebooting the phone to see what happens?

I'm also wondering if you were to use a desktop computer to go online to the Google Play Store and log into your account, download another 3rd party launcher to the device if it will upon finishing and you hitting the home button/key if it will bring up the option to switch launchers which might be a workaround to get away from Go Launcher long enough to get into Settings/Apps and remove it.

FCB321

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, neither solution worked. The new launcher did download, as you suggested, but as I start the phone the Go Launcher jumps in with the same results. I have tried reinstalling the launcher and, but again that failed on bootup. I then tried disconnecting the battery and booting up and this time the phone gave me the option to use Apex Launcher, but when I select it I get "Unfortunately, Apex Launcher has stopped". I have also tried it with another launcher which was already installed but got the same result. Just to be consistent I have tried rebooting and selecting the different launchers a few times. I guess being able to connect to my pc I can back up my data manually and perform a reset, its just that you always forget something.... Before doing this, I would be happy to try any other suggested fixes.

Thanks.

Fiona

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, neither solution worked. The new launcher did download, as you suggested, but as I start the phone the Go Launcher jumps in with the same results. I have tried reinstalling the launcher and, but again that failed on bootup. I then tried disconnecting the battery and booting up and this time the phone gave me the option to use Apex Launcher, but when I select it I get "Unfortunately, Apex Launcher has stopped". I have also tried it with another launcher which was already installed but got the same result. Just to be consistent I have tried rebooting and selecting the different launchers a few times. I guess being able to connect to my pc I can back up my data manually and perform a reset, its just that you always forget something.... Before doing this, I would be happy to try any other suggested fixes.

Thanks.

Fiona

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Yeah that's too bad. I think a factory reset is in your future. Something really got borked, I wonder what happened to be honest.

Shawn Jorge

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi there...
Today i had this same problem with my Motorola defy plus, same like Fiona my screen was blinking all the time so i used Paul's idea and i tried re-installing the launcher from my laptop browser so my device received the notification of the re installation and i had a chance to open google play and from there i uninstalled the launcher. Now its working on my default launcher... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia