Going back to non-foldable?

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Z Fold 3, I've been a little tempted by some non-foldable phones on the market and I'm wondering what the thoughts of other Fold 3 users are when it comes to whether or not they could return to a non-foldable phone and if they would if there are any phones currently on the market that have got them tempted?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Z Fold 3, I've been a little tempted by some non-foldable phones on the market and I'm wondering what the thoughts of other Fold 3 users are when it comes to whether or not they could return to a non-foldable phone and if they would if there are any phones currently on the market that have got them tempted?
I have a S22U that I bounce between. I usually can't make it a day and I'm back to the fold 3.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I have P6P a my backup but ZF3 is always my primary. Particularly during work days I need my ZF3. Not sure how I managed without it earlier.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Funnily enough the Pixel 6 Pro and the OnePlus 10 Pro (the IMO gorgeous white one) have both been tempting me a little.

Last edited:

jmartin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I go back and forth between my Fold 3 and Note 20 Ultra (will be S22U Monday). I realize that's not an option for everyone, but it works for me. I would miss that big beautiful screen on the Fold if I sold it.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am going to get the fold 4 no question. I need that new antennae in the new processors. It's a game changer for me

I'm hoping we'll see more brands bringing foldable devices to market outside of Asia. I've had quite a few Samsung phones over the years and have always liked the hardware but I've never quite clicked with OneUI. Right now a Pixel or OnePlus fold would certainly catch my interest.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I got the S22U when it first dropped, seemed too small to me now. Even with the screen being 6.8" it felt like a downgrade compared to the Fold3, returned the S22U and don't see getting another device until maybe the Fold4.

jimmynexus

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought a pixel 6 Pro, but it was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, and I missed the screen of the Fold 3. I'll be staying with this until the Fold 4 now.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone to use when I feel temptation about a non foldable phone. It serves me well and I really like it, but sooner than later I always miss my Fold 3 and keep going back to it sooner than I originally thought I would

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the appeal for going back to a traditional phone is that whilst the front screen is vastly superior to that on the older Fold (Which I also had) I do a lot of typing, and I'm constantly struggling with the width of the keyboard and there isn't enough width to allow visibility of most of the words the keyboard prompts you to use. My typing speed/accuracy takes a real hit using it and whilst it's not like I'm writing super important things it's more a pride thing of not wanting to make typos or wanting to be able to provide timely responses.

The inner screen is great and I can absolutely see missing it. I just wish the front screen were closer to a traditional width.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think part of the appeal for going back to a traditional phone is that whilst the front screen is vastly superior to that on the older Fold (Which I also had) I do a lot of typing, and I'm constantly struggling with the width of the keyboard and there isn't enough width to allow visibility of most of the words the keyboard prompts you to use. My typing speed/accuracy takes a real hit using it and whilst it's not like I'm writing super important things it's more a pride thing of not wanting to make typos or wanting to be able to provide timely responses.

The inner screen is great and I can absolutely see missing it. I just wish the front screen were closer to a traditional width.
People complain about the bulk now, can you imagine the complaints about the bulk of the front screen was the size of the notes.

I wouldn't mind a little bigger, but not much as I use the front screen for is intention, quick one handed replies. The front screen isn't intended for long intensive usage IMO.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I would think most size complaints would be about the thickness rather than the width of the phone. For me, and I accept this won't be for everyone, I'd be happy to have the phone much wider.

You're right that it probably does better suit quick tasks rather than longer use. For me I use my phone most whilst mobile so I only tend to really use the larger screen much when I'm at home. As a result I probably don't benefit from the larger screen as much as a lot of Fold users do. That's obviously no fault of the Fold and to be clear I'm not saying I don't love that big screen for when I can use it, just that I suspect I don't use it as much as most.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would think most size complaints would be about the thickness rather than the width of the phone. For me, and I accept this won't be for everyone, I'd be happy to have the phone much wider.

You're right that it probably does better suit quick tasks rather than longer use. For me I use my phone most whilst mobile so I only tend to really use the larger screen much when I'm at home. As a result I probably don't benefit from the larger screen as much as a lot of Fold users do. That's obviously no fault of the Fold and to be clear I'm not saying I don't love that big screen for when I can use it, just that I suspect I don't use it as much as most.
I was thinking wider would create more bulk, width and thickness.

I'm assuming Samsung will do something on the fold like they do others, different sizes. I'm sure there are lots of possibilities coming for the folds.

luzgemacht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm so embarrassed to admit to everyone that I'm dropping that fold 3 that I was so proud of and I didn't stop bragging what a super phone it is, but I couldn't hold back, I just paid off my super expensive fold 3 to TMobile so I could trade it in for my new s22 ultra who should arrive by Thursday, wish me luck

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm so embarrassed to admit to everyone that I'm dropping that fold 3 that I was so proud of and I didn't stop bragging what a super phone it is, but I couldn't hold back, I just paid off my super expensive fold 3 to TMobile so I could trade it in for my new s22 ultra who should arrive by Thursday, wish me luck
I hope you kept your fold 3. That way when you find out that the s22 is another note phone you can go back to your fold 3 and be happy again, lol.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm with you. I'll probably buy another foldable perhaps the Oppo or the 4, it's nice to have more choices on the horizon.